It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:26 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

When do you open presents?
1 present on Christmas eve, the rest Christmas morning 50%  50%  [ 8 ]
Christmas eve 50%  50%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 16
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

While my family used to open our gifts on Christmas Day, we now open them on Christmas Eve so that we can spend Christmas Day with family and friends and celebrate Christ's birth without the additional distraction of opening gifts. ;)

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:10 am 

Good concept. Satisfy the need, and then go philosophical about it (contemplative fingering the new iphone and discussing the importance of children learning to appreciate spiritual values while facebooking the profound thoughts on christmas.) god way to get at the presnets sooner <g>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:03 am 
Obduction Backer

One present on Christmas Eve. The rest on Christmas Day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:47 am 
Obduction Backer

AdamJohnso wrote:
Lyrositor wrote:
Could there be a 4th option? Due to various time and family constraints, we frequently have to open our presents either earlier, or later.

So, I would vote for "around Christmas... ish...". 8)

When you have a parent who often works the graveyard shift at the nuke plant, this is true. Once upon a time, we opened presents on the morning of the 20th.

So you ARE one of the Simpson's. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:09 am 
Obduction Backer

My family doesn't do presents at all anymore, haven't for a long time, since there are no more kids.

I'm glad, though, because once I got older, Christmas presents made me depressed. It was such a burden lifted to agree not to do that present thing anymore. Now it's just about lights and making a pine tree pretty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:21 pm 
If we can get the giver of a Christmas present round to our house, we will leave the presents they gave until they can get here. Even if that's not Christmas day. If we can't, we'll put them with their closest relations who can come. If they're not strictly related to us, it's Christmas day, but after lunch. Stockings are in the morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:20 am 

When I was a child, we used to sleep early on the 24th, wake up at 22h45, to go to church for the Holy Mass with a Choral (classical repertoire not christmas commercial bad song), come back at 00h30. Santa would come to give presents. We would then have supper around 1h30. We would celebrate until the morning (around 5h00). On the waking up on the 25th, we would have a big brunch/lunch/supper going from 14h00 until midnight.

True European tradition. What we were eating at 1h30 in the morning? Turkey, meat pie, all good stuff.

Then we hitted the reality, family split, grown up kids, new family cells and all... I keep that in memory, those were the best Christmas memories ever! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:42 am 
Obduction Backer

My Dad (Gandhar, in-game) used to play with us ALL day on the eve. We were told stories about deer and sleighs that would come after we slept all night...of course, I couldn't sleep, but then he would come into my room and sing to me..3 minutes I was out...and when I woke up, we all indulged in the morning of Christmas!!! So I picked Christmas morning..lol

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:35 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

We typically open presents on Christmas morning. Or at least we open some of them. We'll usually keep a few for when the rest of the family come over in the afternoon, as we keep some of their's at our house, and opening presents ought to be a family thing.

As a kid, I was the youngest of three by a long way (the younger of my two brothers is 10 years older than me) so my parents knew the danger of an excited youngster spoiling things by getting up in the middle of the night an opening all their presents alone. One Christmas, I woke up really early and decided to sneak through to the lounge to see if Santa had been yet, or maybe even catch him. I approached the closed door in the dark and then found...

... no door handle! My dad had predicted the temptation and deployed countermeasures :lol: So, I just had to go back to bed and wait for the door handle to be returned, marking the "official" start of Christmas day.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:05 pm 
Naughty kid, Mac!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

Great stories Annabelle and Charura! Sounds like lots of fun was had way back when! :)

Mac_Fife wrote:
I approached the closed door in the dark and then found...

... no door handle! My dad had predicted the temptation and deployed countermeasures :lol: So, I just had to go back to bed and wait for the door handle to be returned, marking the "official" start of Christmas day.

That's great Mac! That made my day! :lol:

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:56 am 

Aw! You fixed the title typo, Very strange my post look now. ( yoda speech to seem wise)
The shared stories are nice.
Christmas can be truly magical. And it is it seems presents are not such a big deal looking back. I remember particurlarly one, walking in snowfall the 2 miles to midnight mass. Churchyard gate and wall, tombestones everything in thick hats of snow, paths in 3 feet snow, lanterns and glistening snow. The warm colourful interior. Churchroof full of painted angels and stories, priest shaking hands with everyone as we leave. And the walk home with the neighbours. A picture Disney could not match at their best.

But back to presents. Santa brought those (only santa is a bad translation, "the Yule gnome" is accurate) at 7 pm cristmas eve. He is a figure with no Christian strings attached it seems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:56 am 
Indeed. Santa Claus derives from Saint Nicholas, who left children gifts at midnight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

Most in Germany are celebrating and opening gifts on Christmas Eve ... Also, around
15:00 in the afternoon the TV progs start, some called 'Waiting for the Christ Child' or
something like that lol ... Some parents have prepared everything already on the day
or night before Christmas Eve, the Christmas Tree together with the children and the
presents without of course, they had to be hidden somewhere, but some do that all
on Christmas Eve in the afternoon ... :P

At around 18:00 pm you hear the chimes everywhere and the handing out of presents takes place,
with or without Santa Clause lol ... Yeah, when we (my brother and I) were very young there was a
Santa Claus, it was our neighbor, until we recognized him lol ...
Some go to a Holy Mass beforehand, we didn't, and after we had picked up our presents from
around the Christmas tree my mother tried to get us to the table for diner, ... Ahh, before getting
our gifts we had to recite a Christmas poem or sing a song lol ...

Some might even go to a Holy Mass at midnight, but that is it so far and takes place like that for
most here to this day ... On the first and/or second Christmas Day we're visiting grandparents and
the rest of the family as far as still available, all my grandparents have 'gone' already, where there
were even more gifts to look forward to ... :)

Yeah, that doesn't sound very spectacular, but what I always loved most about the whole Christmas
Season, as most of us, I suppose, is the open, warm and welcoming atmosphere everywhere, the nice
get-togethers per se, and even if this seems all a bit distorted by the commercial aspect of it all, that
cannot take away the authenticity and the beauty of that heartwarming season ... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:40 pm 

Voting for the nonexistent 4th option as well :P .

Orthodox Christian Church (*Ι think* this is how it's translated) is somehow "official" in the country, so I guess they didn't allow the custom with presents on Xmas to establish. It's mostly a religious time, nativity, baby Jesus etc, well, for those who are at it. There are people who receive presents at this time though, people named Chris or Christine, as they celebrate their name day (we all do for ours btw).

Our version of Santa Claus (Agios Vassilis/St William) supposedly comes on New Year's Eve. So we wait until midnight, switch year and then open the presents.
We also bake a special pie called Vassilopita, just a simple cake made of flour dough and other typical ingredients, but we hide a coin in it before putting it in the oven, and then decorate it with the number of the year that is about to come. We follow a special ritual to cut it, cut a piece for Jesus first, then Mother Mary, then for the house, then for the poor, and move on to every member of the family, present or not, starting from the leader or eldest. And the person who finds the coin has to treasure it because it will bring them good luck throughout the year.

As Cpt. Jericho said, other orthodox countries, like Russia for example, celebrate Xmas two weeks later. Has to do with whether the respective Churches accepted the Julian calendar over the Gregorian back then, or not.

Well, whenever you get your presents, whether you call them Xmas or Holidays or whatever, have a happy one! ^^

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next