It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:26 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Secondlife and Uru
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:57 am 

Shorah Love!!!

For the people who are going from the Safe haven of the Uru Cavern to Second life ,Please find and contact the D'ni Refugee group. We are a family of over 800 strong, We Refugees will help you in the transition and help you learn about SL and will keep you safe. Sometimes who is behind the computer is not who you were led to believe.

Mod note: Removed personal references (c.f. footnotes in Forum Policies).

Last edited by michelle marquise on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

Great to know, thank you Michelle. Kirk and i are still looking to something similar to URU (SL is very different), a fantasy, non violent quest, multiplayer game that one can enjoy playing with good friends. Any suggestion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:50 pm 

ZestyOfXeniphers wrote:
Great to know, thank you Michelle. Kirk and i are still looking to something similar to URU (SL is very different), a fantasy, non violent quest, multiplayer game that one can enjoy playing with good friends. Any suggestion?

Have you tried Free Realms (by Sony Online Entertainment)? It has short quests, but nothing in the way of a long story arc (as far as I know). Completely family-friendly and free to play the basic levels. Its more of a single-player exploration game in a crowded MMO world -- not unlike Uru. I personally spent hours just navigating around the various landscapes, but that was before they filled every area with mini-games.

Post subject: Uru and SL
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:10 pm 

Shorah Love!!!

Yes Uru is a safe haven for players based on those who are playing on Uru. SL is very diffrerent. The D'ni Refugees who have migrated to SL; not all have fallen into some of the things that are condoned on the networking online site.

We generally have events all week long, build or explore SL Sims.

I am simply letting you know where we can be found t have a safe and happy exploration of something new.

It takes time to learn SL.

Please conact the Refugees; We can take care of our family in Uru and in SL

Mod note: Removed personal references (c.f. footnotes in Forum Policies).

Last edited by michelle marquise on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:36 pm 

Second Life is not, for me, a haven of any sort.
I went and joined, found that ALL of my avatar names were taken.
This seemed creepy to me, haven't been back since.

So, impersonation maybe gives many the wrong impression of who is setting at my PC.
I will stay in URU, have been with this for many years.
Just saying...................BEWARE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:41 pm 

I think that for those of us that weren't exiled from our home back then, Second Life has absolutely no connection to Uru. It's a completely different place anyway, and so ugly!! :P

(edited as well ^^)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:27 pm 

You might want to check out Honour McMillan's Post Menapausal View (of Second Life) blog She gets all over Second Life and shows the beauty of what is out there.

Beautiful things can be found anywhere if you look. Second Life is a lot more than what folk who have never been there think it is but if it is not your cup of tea then it isn't. Second Life has changed a lot from when I first migrated there and if you have an interest, you can find folk there with similar interests pretty easily. They do have events there that can be wonderful interactive fun and some of the most incredible virtual art you will see anywhere. (Check out the LEA sims) Some of our Uruites perform in dance troupes, live bands, DJs etc. (I perform in a troupe that has created virtual instruments/sounds/animations that we play live) Some have some businesses that are highly regarded in SL or have taught with SL institutions like Builders Brewery. Like any virtual world you get out of it what you put into it. Live music is big there and you can hear artists sing or perform live - the music scene alone is incredible.

A good part of the Uru community did migrate to Second Life originally. They have a very lively and active community there and the connection to Uru is very strong. They welcome and help any MOUL fans who visit. Last time I looked the D'ni Refugee group was over 700 strong. We had a history in MOUL and a continued history in SL and other places. I see a lot of MOULies running around in Guild Wars 2 as well and there are several MOULie guilds. Obviously with Uruites it is about community and being together no matter where we are.

Just like any social networking you have to take precautions and everything with a grain of salt. Common sense prevails and if your wierd-o-meter goes off, it is probably telling you something.

SL:
DMom2K Darwin

Currently residing in Guild Wars2 with DudeDad and trying to play Watch Dogs
Citizen of the Metaverse and oh, yeah, The Dude abides....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:43 am 
Obduction Backer

hm..... the pictures that Honour McMillan posted look really fantastic....... at least worth trying...... thank you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:16 pm 

There is no doubt parts of Second Life (SL) are ugly. There are some parts of Uru that are ugly too. But, in both cases the number of festinating and beautiful places outnumbers the ugly ones.

In SL most of the places are built by the users, something we are still only starting to do with Uru. That means much of SL is made by novices and, unfortunately, it shows. Uru was made by professionals. So, we expect Uru to look better. But, many places in SL are as beautiful as anything in Uru. Since SL is huge compared to Uru there is lots to explore. I’ve been in SL for about 4 years and have yet to visit most of SL.

Dot’s suggestion to check out Honour’s blog is a good one. Do, check it out. Also, the maker of SL, Linden Lab, has a group that picks the best picture of SL each day: Picture of the Day.

Venexia IV by Melancholia L., on Flickr

Flickr has a number of streams featuring images from SL. The Second Life pool has the most variety, IMO. It is PG/Mature – no vulgar nudity. Remember. This is Flickr and there are adult sections.

MadPea Base - Broken Dreams by Chairo Jonson, on Flickr

The above image is of a Mad Pea, professional, build.

SL does not look like Uru nor does it have a unified theme and art like Uru. It is not considered a game by those that understand SL. It is the platform one uses to build games. Some consider it a creative game or a shared creative space. So, regions vary greatly in appearance.

Crux Isle was built in SL by Myst fans a couple of years ago and is still there. It is an adventure game built on the D’ni theme using a FACL. Unfortunately, the in-world search delivers you to the wrong place. The starting point is HERE.

The visual quality of what could be built, what can be built today, and what will be able to be built in another couple of months has and does change. Four years ago Uru fans were building rather primitive replicas of Uru in SL. Now it is possible to build replicas that look nearly as good as Uru. By the end of 2013 SL will have most of the tools the Uru game engine has and many not available for Uru. The quality of places and avatars built in SL is improving.

I have believed for some time that SL is the best place for a novice to 3D modeling that wants to become an age builder to start. The building process for Uru ages to be used in MOULa is very advanced. There is a huge learning curve. In SL that curve is broken into small bites.

In 2011 SL gained the ability to handle free form mesh objects. At that point it became possible to build anything in SL that can be built in Uru. In fact it is possible to move models and terrain from Uru to SL. That it is possible does NOT make it legal, so don’t.

This year normal and specular maps as used in Uru will become available in SL. This will step up the appearance of SL another significant notch. We will then be able to duplicate the appearance of Uru. That doesn’t mean it will behave or work like Uru does. The physics is different, better or worse depending on the aspect you are interested in.

I think the majority of Uru fans that have moved to SL while we wait for MOULa to advance have become ‘age builders’ of some type. I think that shows how easy it is to build in SL. That doesn’t mean everyone is good at it. But, it is possible.

A number of people make a living building from SL. I doubt that will ever happen for anyone other than Cyan with MOUL.

So, whether you are looking for pretty places to explore, beautiful places to hang out in, or wanting to learn 3D modeling SL has possibilities. And... as Dot said, it isn't for everyone.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:40 pm 

(I think the post I am referring to was moved to an even less fitting thread, lol)

Nalates, ^^, I need to mention that a previous post of yours comparing the exiled Uruites to immigrants helped me understand the situation and stop asking around "why aren't they coming back since the Cavern is open, helloo?!".

You guys sure know SL better than I do, I have only been there a handful of times and never stayed there for more than an hour. Oh wait, first time I was there I was hiding behind a tree and trying to customize my avatar, when I suddenly felt dizzy. I looked at the clock and realized that 3,5 hours had passed with me glued on the computer screen. What's more, I wasn't even halfway done!! So I got angry, reset the avatar and logged out. :-P
I think it's the complexity and variety of the place that can really "scare" a new player, way too many options there!! And maybe the ugliness is only in those first free areas one visits. I have never been interested in building (so far, at least), also I never joined any online community just for the social aspect of it (this is at least how I saw SL being advertised years ago). I guess none of my interests were enough to take me and/or keep me there, so far, at least. Maybe the timing wasn't right, or, like you said above, it is not for me. Remains to be seen. ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:27 pm 

Exiled is an interesting word. I suppose we were 'exiled.' But the exile is over and some number of the fans in the Cavern also play in in SL.

I've actually seen more about the February celebrations commemorating Myst-Uru in SL than I have reading this forum. I can't really know whether there are more active Myst-Uru fans in the Cavern or SL. I think it is about equal.

There is a dilemma in the nature of SL. Complexity vs Creative Freedom.

The Viewer (the client side of SL) has 3,000+ controls. It is like Photoshop. One can do amazing things if they are willing to learn it. There are numerous videos on YouTube about using just the viewer. Then there are hundreds more on using SL. So, the community and the Lab, SL's creator, know there is a learning curve problem. They have yet to figure out to solve the problem and lower the learning curve. They continue to work on it.

The Uruites in SL know the problem well. We all went through it. I think we are there because of the social nature of our personalities. Just as people got together in the Cavern so too they gather in SL as pointed out earlier. So, there is almost always someone online and listening to the group chat for the D'ni Refugees that is willing to help new arrivals.

I think there is an effort by the Lab to create easier to use creative tools to educate people on using virtual worlds and shared creative spaces. The Lab has recently released Patterns(on Steam like Minecraft but with Doritoman), Creatorverse(tablet app), and this week Dio(an odd web app). (ASIDE: check out: Beautiful Interactive dio Room Built with SL Sim Screenshots where it is asked if someone will do a Myst thing there.)

So, there is no doubt SL is complex. Yet I found it easier and more suited to my learning style to learn 3D modeling in SL than age building in the Uru community. So, there is that dilemma of being a complex tool and an amazing creative space with an incredible amount of freedom.

Along that line there is: Myst and the Art of Creation, written yesterday on Game Church.

I was interested in and excited about making ages when the Cavern closed the last time. People I knew were going to SL so I tried it. I was never very social in the Cavern. The 'how did you do that?' questions I had in SL shifted things for me. Using Blender, SL, and trying age building in the Uru community provided radically different experiences. The SL experience was much more nurturing and helpful. I suppose that is because a large part of the D'ni Refugees is female and past adolescence. Also, building 3D models and things for SL is broken up into small bites. For a time we had an excellent D'ni Language school in SL. Many of the ways teaching was done in SL are being transferred back to Uru and showing up in Uru shards.

So, one can use SL for SL or as a prototyping testing ground for ideas to use in Uru or an education tool...

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Nalates wrote:
Along that line there is: Myst and the Art of Creation, written yesterday on Game Church.

Cool article, Nal. Thanks for finding and sharing that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:19 pm 

I wonder how difficult it would be to get M.C. Escher's Relativity working in SL? Could you set up a sub world in so you can walk on the wall or Would have the same issues with the camera angle being stuck to the Z plane even though the AV is walking on the X or Y plane and require the SL equivalent to a python file?

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Karkadann wrote:
I wonder how difficult it would be to get M.C. Escher's Relativity working in SL? Could you set up a sub world in so you can walk on the wall or Would have the same issues with the camera angle being stuck to the Z plane even though the AV is walking on the X or Y plane and require the SL equivalent to a python file?

No sub-world. You would have the avatar to wear something like gravity boots and it would work very well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:59 am 

how difficult would that be and where can I go to learn more about this?

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next