It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:01 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: bots vs grey hats
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:17 am 

Does anyones else miss the appearance of the greyhats in the fun house who would randomly surprise us with their magic?
I like the bots...I like that I can randomly walk to places I had wanted to see but couldn't
but I miss the fun house....please come back.
Luv angelmyst :cry:

KI #03313934

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

I can't come back right now - I'm way too busy with a ton of other projects. Maybe one day I'll pop in though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:01 pm 

I can't bump the hood and my magic is limited but I might be able to provide you with some magic, in the near future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Why am I suddenly reminded of The Sorcerer's Apprentice? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:26 pm 

Don't worry I'm not going to flood the cavern. I've done this sort of thing before:
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25687

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:52 pm 

LOL...you guys are great.....

KI #03313934

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:39 am 

I would like to do something but in the short time I simply cannot. I will do something on February 8th.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:33 pm 

Yes angelmyst, I too miss the "old funhouse" experience.
Love the new bots but I can fondly remember the first Bevin neighborhood FH I was a part of, and the ones after that, as it was very exciting, fresh and something totally new. Never knowing what to expect from moment to moment, being at the mercy of the greyhats skills or whimsy as the case may be. There was always a feeling of excitement when upon entering the Nexus and seeing "Fun House" listed there, especially when you never really knew exactly when it would make it's appearance in the Nexus listings.
One thing for sure: You always knew you were in for a real treat. :P :P :P

As a disclaimer, let me say this first - I have enjoyed the current assortment of magic bots and what they provide very much and I will continue to do so as long as they are around. The efforts of the makers are highly appreciated by all, I'm sure. :!:
They can certainly be a LOT of fun, not to mention the wonderful opportunity to explore certain areas previously unreachable.
Just the visual treats alone that they now afford us, can only continue to amaze me more and more in regards to the incredible amount of detailed work and truely creative artistry that CYAN put into this project for us all to love and enjoy. :P

However, now with a lot of the "tricks and methods" laid bare, it reminds me in a big way, for example, when most of us went to the movies and came away a real sense of awe and wonder as to how such things could possibly be done. It did seem like magic, for sure! It really made the wait for the next movie experience very special.

Then along came the decision by the makers of such magic to start revealing how the "magic" was done. At first, I was all over it and very much enjoyed the "peek behind the curtain" as it were. Soon however, at least for me, the former excitement of such "magical" things began to diminish as one comes to understand the "mechanics" of how a certain thing is achieved. Not to say it wasn't still enjoyable, but there was definitly a sense of loss in some way that was not replaced with the new knowledge of how such things were done.

Maybe it could be time for the original style of Fun House to make an occasional appearance, like special occasions, when ever the opportunity presents itself, depending on the Grey Hats schedule, of course. Perhaps a "Retro Fun House Night" once in a while when the grey hats time allows.
Think about your first time in the original Fun Houses and then put yourself in the place of our newer explorers who have never experienced what we found to be so much fun. Could be a real treat. :wink:

Last edited by Zaphod22 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:23 pm 

I'm not 100% sure but I think the Gray Hats are running out of cool tricks to-do. They can only use the cleitns own functions for "magic", it's like opening the hood of a car and tweaking it only using the tools needed to open the car and the things already in the car, after some point you run out of tweaks and need new parts. New parts need to be designed(coded outside of the car metaphor) and tested before they can be used.

Also please remember that The Gray Hats are unpaid volunteers who would rather spend they time making new car parts by developing URU's source code then tweaking the car in TFH.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

Bingo. 8)

There are only so many things that can be done with Plasma; personally, I'm not a fan of mixing Ages, which restricts the possibilities even more. I had planned at one time to do more events, but my interest has been held by other things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:17 am 

I'm rather a fan of mixing ages (just to contradict Lyrositor :lol: , no kidding here).

My goal is to create something unseen, it's a long process because not only you have to study one age, you have to study multiple ages and even more...study the interactions between each of them. There are gems in my mind I can tell, I still have to polish them a bit :wink: . I do have to work on my bot too. She will come after. She will host my realms.

I know mixology can be very demanding on low-end or old computers. I won't please everyone unfortunately. This is the price to pay though. We cannot remove what we are adding. We can "hide" objects but they are still there in a way and they take memory space.

I don't spend that much time in cavern anymore also so this long process won't come to a reality before a certain time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:31 pm 

Angelmyst,

I think you supply your own brand of magic
you just do not realize maybe

Your words are magic, at least to my ears.

Annabelle is correct, lots of things are in the works.

Time is the commodity held close.

My skills do not compare with my friend Lyrositor's
But, perhaps I could show you a mountaintop view that would surprise

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:53 pm 

Ah...lol now I know where I saw your reference to mountain top...ty for the awesome tour. Some of those type 'trips' offered thru the fun house would be great!!!
I also loved the soccer set up...we could use a couple other' get away' spots...like vaccation paradises for our avis...lol.

KI #03313934

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:37 am 

Annabelle wrote:
I would like to do something but in the short time I simply cannot. I will do something on February 8th.

Cool, can't wait too see it, this Friday! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:57 pm 

Thanks Jamie :D

Ok my bot is on the way...

I still need a name for her.

I still need to change some reference because for now you will be puzzled because she would be a bit too closely linked with Mir-o-Bot.

I still need to adjust some bolts and mechanisms.

-----

Since there's again a worry about "magic addition" with the possible sighting of Maintainers' outfit in public city... let me clear this with you guys:

I've been taught mostly by Boq and on specific topics by Lyrositor, Stone. Christian Walther, Henry Mikel and some other "In the Known" or "High figure of this community" gave me some advices.

1)
You won't get from my Bot any special clothing, special avatars. I do trust myself not going in public area "to do the peacock" (LOL sorry that's litteraly from French "faire le paon" ou simpler "me pavaner" verb from the same root) BUT I'm not trusting every explorers.

2)
I won't rename any of my ages. This action makes a writing in your vault to add this "new age" in your history/KI... You'll visit Bot's Hood or Bot's City or whatever... This will insure your vault stay clean.

Last edited by Annabelle on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next