It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:41 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:42 am 

Let me just state what I am seeing right now, 22:30 ki time. Someone wearing a Maintainers' suit in the Public City. They said they got it via the bots.

So.. is this allowed? Or, is it considered as "keeping the Fun House effects"?
Is there a limit to what the bots can offer us so that there won't be any conflict with what is allowed and what is not?

Or.. dunno, I'm a bit confused here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:08 am 

DTC and I were discussing something similar, and we both agree that wearing restricted clothing is generally frowned upon.
But what really matters is Cyan's opinion on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:56 am 

I am confused too I have searched for an hour looking for some kind of guide. I can't find any. I don't want to be telling any one "please do not wear the effects in the public city" when they are having fun with it. If it causes no problem for the game,great :). If it does cause problems, I will be more than happy to remind them.

KI 00142411

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

Wearing this clothing in the City will cause no technical problem. However, I do believe it is forbidden by Cyan. They should not be wearing the Maintainers' Suit.

If they say these clothes were obtained from a bot, they were most probably obtained from MagicBot, which lets players wear restricted clothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:26 pm 

Quote:
Wearing this clothing in the City will cause no technical problem. However, I do believe it is forbidden by Cyan.

Yeah.... Cyan, in the past, has made it clear they prefer any sort of noodling with code, 'funhouse' effects, etc to be restricted to private Ages. It's always been off-limits in any public area. I would GUESS that's also to preserve game integrity & canon for new and IC players-- not just to prevent server issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:36 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Actually, there are technical reasons why the "custom" avatars should not be used (there are specific cases where they can cause other players to crash). RAWA actually posted about this when some people were using Bahro avatars some time ago - http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 703#339703

I have also spoken to Tor'i about this quite recently and she confirms that the use of these avatars anywhere that people may be involuntarily affected (generally any public area) could lead to permanent exclusion from MOULa. If you see this kind of thing, it's better to report this directly to Cyan Support, and not to post details publically on the forums - there may reasonable explanations, and we don't want any witch-hunting here.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:09 pm 

Mac_Fife wrote:
I have also spoken to Tor'i about this quite recently and she confirms that the use of these avatars anywhere that people may be involuntarily affected (generally any public area) could lead to permanent exclusion from MOULa. If you see this kind of thing, it's better to report this directly to Cyan Support, and not to post details publically on the forums - there may reasonable explanations, and we don't want any witch-hunting here.

OK, as I read Mac's post in regards to Tor'i's reply, here is what I take from this if someone chooses to "wear custom avatars" in public areas.
Do it and take your chances on being banned.
This might lead one to think that it's up to the individual player to decide what's permitted or not, in order to see what one can get away with it. You can be sure that this will eventually lead to some players "testing the limits" as a way to find where the CYAN punishment line is. Then once that line is drawn, it will remain to be seen if the line stays in that place or is "adjusted" for certain circumstances, certain players, etc.
There should NOT be any question as to if these actions are permitted or not. By stating that there "might" be punishment, this is not a clear indication of the rules that are to be followed. It needs to be Yes or No, not "Well, we'll see what happens and deal with it then."
I go back to what I have said before regarding clothing, skin color, etc. "If it's not in the Relto waredrobe closet, it's not allowed in public areas. Magic / bot effects stay where they are supposed to be."

This "bot / magic" type of situation reminds me of a personal motto from the old Andy Griffith television show regarding deputy Barney Fife - "You got to nip it in the bud."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqEIt-rQqbM
or if you like a musical version...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvFHn8zfbUc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:14 pm 

Thank you Mac and others for clarifying this. Now I seen that post was dated year 2010, can we some how figure away out get this info to the new explorers and old?? I think it needs like an update or something. I don't want to see any explorer banned for some thing they think is innocent fun. Their thinking would be the bots let me have so it must be alright ,because I can meet/link to the bots from the public city. I hope you can see my path of logic here. When/If I see this I will remind explorers this is not allowed and they could get in trouble.
Again thank you very much.

KI 00142411

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

This is very compassionate and sweet, DaVinci ... oh no, I really don't want
to see that happen, someone being banned for innocently enjoying what was
given to him or her ... isn't this what is important here, to just enjoy and have fun?
... it's a game and a leisure time diversion after all ... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
You have a very good point, DaVinci. Perhaps the person who might be reporting the violator should first consider sending them an IM to ask if they're aware that they're doing something forbidden.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:50 pm 

AFIK the maintainers suit is NOT a "custom avatar", so will not crash the client but it's still not a good idea to use it in the city.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:52 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Zaphod22 wrote:
There should NOT be any question as to if these actions are permitted or not. By stating that there "might" be punishment, this is not a clear indication of the rules that are to be followed. It needs to be Yes or No, not "Well, we'll see what happens and deal with it then."
I go back to what I have said before regarding clothing, skin color, etc. "If it's not in the Relto waredrobe closet, it's not allowed in public areas. Magic / bot effects stay where they are supposed to be."

I was paraphrasing a conversation, because as forum mod my responsibility is the forums not in-cavern behaviour, so I can't speak definitively on Cyan's policy on that or on bans in general. I'd anticipate though that anyone "caught" by Cyan using custom avatars and restricted clothing items in public places would probably be taken to one side and talked to about it in the first instance. If there were persistent infringements then a ban would surely be the outcome. As others have already noted it is possible for someone to quite innocently move from a private to a public area and simply forget to change, or not be aware that it's something that is disapproved.

In many respects, it'd be more responsible for the bot operators not to routinely dispense these types of thing, at least not without explaining the potential consequences to the user at the time of the request. Well, that's my opinion anyway.

As for your the latter comment quoted, I'd agree, and would also agree with Tai'lahr's suggestion that a PM to the person first could avoid a lot of uneccessary aggravation.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:05 pm 

I try to tell people over PM that they shouldn't be wearing Internal Clothing items in Public areas whenever I see people wearing said items in said areas (The City usually). Most people usually change out of the potentially offending item with a "Oh wow, sorry, I didn't know it was against the rules."

I don't see the harm in those people so long as they're kindly let known about it- preferably before they put said items on. *shrug*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:09 pm 

Thanks for the replies, no confusion anymore ^^.

(I too think it's too cruel to immediately report someone that was just having fun, especially since the bots are among the first things people introduce to new players these days.
But I'd prefer to keep the advice in public though, I think it's best when everyone hears and becomes aware of the situation, one that concerns us all anyway. ^^)

I also think that an extra warning in the bots help kimails would be nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:24 pm 

Part of me thinks the bots should not be able to change your cloths or should automatically revert the changes when you leave the age.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next