It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:24 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:45 pm 
Or say that the clothes must not be worn in public area, else you risk being banned, or something along those lines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

Lyrobot does not and never will allow players to change their clothing on the spot to unusual/internal clothing, as it is all-too-easy for this clothing to follow unaware players around. In my experience of developing Lyrobot, no matter how much information you place in the KI-Mails, people will still struggle to understand how he works and ask the very questions to which they would find answers if they read the manual.

In my personal opinion, the best option would be to simply disable this ability in all bots which use it, since some users will disregard its implications or not even read the warnings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:13 am 

Lyrositor,
As I am not a real geeky, "puter" guy, have no knowledge of programming, etc., :oops: maybe you can answer my question.
Can the Bots, should the owner desire it to be so, be set, programed, etc., for the bot's effects to not be able to go along with an avatar to known public area?
Can't specific actions be set to not transfer to areas outside of were they were first applied?
Just wondering... :?:

Oh yeah, Big Thanks for all you do for all the players / explorers who enjoy their time in MOULa. Same thanks go out to the others involved behind the scenes that I am not aware of. I know the efforts are well appreciated by all of us.
Just sayin'... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:56 am 
Obduction Backer

I don't believe it'd be possible, unless the user notified the bot beforehand... But I'm not sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:14 pm 

So long as the mechanism the bot is using does not require the avatar to be in the same age as the bot there might be a way. The bot writes down what the client is wearing when it sees him(or her) and changes the avatars cloaths back to what they where before when he or she leaves the age. I'm not an expert on the internal client or bots so correct me if I'm wrong but this should work.

Bty AFIK bot changes arn't saved to the valt, so restarting the game should bring people back to they old avies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

Clothing changes, if memory serves, relies on Game Server protocols. Which means that when the avatar leads the Age, the bot can no longer affect his clothing. It could modify its Vault eventually, but that wouldn't apply the changes.

Also, if my personal experience can be generalized, visiting your Wardrobe after being clothed by a bot WILL make the changes last - even if the player restarts the client.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:25 pm 

Now I'm tempted to go find a bot and get that creepy teddy bear suit and see what happens.
[email protected] and I had just logged out! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:19 am 

Darn, looks my suggestion probably won't work. Oh well at least I tried.

@adi creepy teddy bear suit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:56 am 

Eeh, it's how I call it.. The whole area is creepy anyway and those thingies in the room where you're supposed to get the suit look like giant creepy teddy bears, so.. :oops:
Though once you wear it it doesn't look that creepy anymore.. In fact the boots totally kick @ss! :D

On topic, seems like the suit only follows you until you simply log the avvie out, no restart needed. If you visit the wardrobe you can change shirt or pants for example but can't change back to the parts of the suit you just took off.
I guess if it was possible for the suit to be removed when you link away from the bot, we would all be happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:06 am 

Lyrositor wrote:
Clothing changes, if memory serves, relies on Game Server protocols. Which means that when the avatar leads the Age, the bot can no longer affect his clothing. It could modify its Vault eventually, but that wouldn't apply the changes.

Also, if my personal experience can be generalized, visiting your Wardrobe after being clothed by a bot WILL make the changes last - even if the player restarts the client.

That hasn't been my experience... when I get magicbot to change any article of my clothing, it remains on me... even if I log out or even quit for the day; or even if I don't use that avatar for several days, when I log back in it will still be wearing the 'forbidden' item until I go to my wardrobe and make the choice to replace or remove it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

If Cyan has agreed to create fun house effects then they should be fully aware of the side effects as well. The fun-house modifications are in effect outside that area, some of them even after restarting the game (outfits). There are no warnings whatsover that you cannot keep a maintainers outfit in the city. You want to punish a delighted newbie who innocently goes into the city? If this is against Cyan's will then they should stop any further manipulation of Uru in the future.

On the other hand, the whole Uru has already been messed up with fun-houses and bots. It is already very far from the original "Myst Online: Uru Live" MMORPG with its IC content, story line, DRC characters, etc. It is dead. Then why this storm-in-the-glass reaction that someone arrives to public area in unappropriate clothing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

I don't understand that either, Norfren ... :P

You're talking about being consequent here in one's decisions, and that is absolutely correct ...

I wouldn't necessarily see this all as being messed up, in the contrary, I'd rather see it all as
being adapted to nowadays terms and conditions and also needs and preferences ... Even the
old restoration era is over or on hold ... There was for a long time nothing available to be provided
for new and 'old' explorers to keep them in line and Uru/MOULa alive ... 8)

I absolutely can understand Cyan that they don't want to have us running around in custom
avatars (DRC peeps, Rand, Yeesha, Bahro etc.) even without further explanation, though as
Mac mentioned on page one of this thread here
Mac_Fife wrote:
Actually, there are technical reasons why the "custom" avatars should not be used (there are
specific cases where they can cause other players to crash). RAWA actually posted about this
when some people were using Bahro avatars some time ago -
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 703#339703

and this could affect everyone of us negatively if that'd be so ...

As of other outfits, I believe, but I don't know it (technically), those do not affect people really,
only if they decide for themselves to not accept them lol ... For example those beautiful and classy
maintainer suits ... Aren't they just absolutely lovely and pleasant to look at? And they're completely
d'ni-ish and canon ... :)

When they do not open the Wall to us, maybe they could at least provide those suits for all of us
in our closets, in case there were no license or whatever restrictions keeping their hands tied ...

Yeah, just my two cents to this ... :D

Edit: I'd like to add ... Hey, everyone can run around with a green face, violet hair and blueish feet
and legs etc. haha ... where is this all immersive? ... just a reminder to not take this all too seriously ... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:31 pm 

Norfren wrote:
If Cyan has agreed to create fun house effects then they should be fully aware of the side effects as well. The fun-house modifications are in effect outside that area, some of them even after restarting the game (outfits). There are no warnings whatsover that you cannot keep a maintainers outfit in the city. You want to punish a delighted newbie who innocently goes into the city? If this is against Cyan's will then they should stop any further manipulation of Uru in the future.

Correction, Cyan has not "agreed to create fun house effects" they have allowed us the players to "create fun house effects" so long as these effects do not leave the fun house or private ages. It's like a no leash dog park in a municipality where dogs normally must be on leashes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:03 pm 

My very first post in this forum ;) Was a bit confused at first, but thanks to a fellow explorer in the cavern as well as Mac_file here on the forum, I am up and running.

I guess I want to start out by apologizing for any trouble I may have started as I was the original one who brought the suit into the public city. While I have been playing URU for a number of years, I have been on hiatus for about a year now and as such am pretty unfamiliar with the bots or the rules surrounding them. I did check the End_User Agreement as well as the Cod of Conduct and was unable to find anything on this subject unless the falls under the category of :

3. IMPERSONATION:

You may not impersonate any CWI employee, including without limitation any Customer Service Avatar (CSA) or in-game Cast Member. (emphasis being on 'in-game Cast Member')

If this is in-fact the case, I was unaware that the Maintainers Suit was considered an avatar. I was under the understanding that the Suit was simply a clothing item that had been originally made for the wall in Gahreesen and because the wall did not work, it and the suit were made off limits. When I realized that the bots made it possible to access the suit, I assumed that we had been granted access to the suit for the entire cavern. If this is not the case, then I will cease wearing it again.

I have also had other effects follow me out of the magic ages such as the fireflies a few days ago. I wore them all over the city as well as to both of the Eders. Is this also against the rules or is the only real issue with the Maintainers Suit?

I would like to make one more point before I close. It is my personal opinion that if someone is going to address this in the cavern, that they may want to try a different tactic than, "You are breaking the rules, you need to take that off or I will report you." I am paraphrasing here as I do not have the actual log, but that is essentially what was said to me. To me, it felt like a threat, as such, I did not respond right away and I don't think others would either. I did eventually relog to remove the suit as well as the many other effects that were following me around the cavern/

Again, my apologies for any trouble I may have started.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

You do not have to apologize, kharmapup. You simply used an option the game provided to you. It is not your mistake that an imperfect modification causes flaws and no one has right to slam you or report because of this. If the game engine takes no steps to prevent the wear of maintainers suit outside the Wall area, then it has to be accepted.

And what about other "useful" effects resulting from different flaws of the game or graphic engine? Should we report if someone uses combo jumps in public areas? If sitting in the air over the courtyard? If walking over the makeshift bridge in Ae'gura? If we see an avatar with green skin and blue hair? If markers are set to places "officialy" unreachable? If these are accepted, then why is this problem with the maintainers' suit?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next