It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:01 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:42 am 
Obduction Backer

Will talk about that with Michel asap. thx Muttley

Membre du quartier Mystpedia - KI 9392
Alts : EG Jan (gone) / Sleeper Jan KI (coming soon)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:55 am 
Obduction Backer

This whole discussion for me is so ridiculous and absurd, to talk about what free people,
adults and youngsters alike, in their free spare time can or cannot do in a computer game ...
... some even pay for this with a donation ... sorry ... :P

We are not talking about some nasty haxters damaging the vault and/or bad bad people
harassing others etc. lol, no, we're talking about free individuals enjoying the little (after the
great and extensive journey) that is left and available here, means only every now and then
maybe wearing a slouch hat or a maintainers suit (which is part of a game they once bought,
some even more than once and additionally in the Game Tap era etc. etc.) or whatnot ...

And it isn't like you see everyday twenty people running around in maintainer suits, no, you
might meet one once a week or less often, and that is not ok? ... why? ... Because of rules,
which are exaggerated by a bit petty-minded fans, just because they're in general against bots?
Or people acting a bit over the top out of fear to loose something ... Fear not, people, Cyan needs
its fanbase and thus MOULa as much as you need it lol ... We should respect and not fear each
other ... This is all no blame, just facts and it's just a game, my friends ... :)

The rules given by Cyan make definitely sense, in the sense of protecting the overall health of the
servers and the vault and thus the general game play, so that they themselves will have as less as
possible work and issues with the same lol ... understandable ... 8)

So, those rules say that the 'magic', means letting the whole city of Ae'gura just disappear or fade
or turn it blue, green, magenta or whatever, as it happened on Rand's birthday two years ago lol, which
he enjoyed btw, I was standing right beside him haha, or transferring the Kerath Arch upside down onto
the Tokotah Courtyard, or wearing custom avatars (DRC, Rand, Bahro etc) etc. etc., that this magic has
to remain within the allowed confines of the Fun House resp. the Hood of Illusions ... Perfectly ok ...

We still need someone of Cyan to show up and really say that those tiny little KI lamps, which go off
after a minute anyways lol, or a slouch hat or this maintainer suit or sth like this should really not be
allowed and why ... I cannot believe that they would really ever insist on sth petty and harmless like this lol ... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

janaba1, there may well be copyright or other IP issues surrounding the "magic" items. I can fully understand Cyan wanting to limit such things, and they don't have to tell us why, not least because by doing so they would open themselves to further actions. We all sign up to the EULA and Code of Conduct every time we log on, so we agree that Cyan can impose their rules on us.

I agree that it is Cyan's place, and nobody else's, to enforce their rules. There's nothing worse than an amateur policeman, is there :)

But in any case, it should be relatively simple to have the bots enforce the rules for us. I could not "Unwear" the hat, MagicBot ignored the command. It was not available in my wardrobe after I was reminded of the rules, so it shouldn't really have stayed on my head. I would hope that a check of clothing against wardrobe should be easy to add on.

Just to be clear, I was not offended by being reminded/made aware of the rules Cyan have put in place. A quick trip to the wardrobe is better than a ban.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

Muttley, this game is not only about you, sorry, others might be (offended or otherwise)... 8)

And as of your 'there may well be copyright or other ...' is just speculation and thus
just blah ... another sorry ... as what you all have been making up here isn't explicitly
documented by Cyan yet ... but ok, I've said everything I thought reasonable to be said,
(be so kind to read it before commenting, thanks) and it remains still open for Cyan to
show up and express their opinion on that to free people, not just following selfmade
rules just for the sake of ... Thank you ... and don't forget to party on and just have fun ... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

Muttley wrote:
2) could the bots be programmed to send you a message on link-out to remind you to be sure not to take anything "magic" away with you, clothing, KI glow etc. Though my experiments with Lyrobot this morning show that he extinguishes the KI light on link-out. Of course he doesn't support the Wear command. Really, the bots should perform gatekeeping checks and remove everything "magic" when you link out.

It is technically impossible to do this; many effects can only be removed before the player links out. Once he is gone from the Age (or is leaving), it can no longer be done (some effects will even stay with you no matter what).

Additionally, I don't believe Lyrobot performs any such KI light checks; either you got lucky and someone typed light off at the same time as you linked out, or the normal programming of the game performs a check to disable KI lights (which might be possible; I seem to recall something along those lines in xKI.py).

Due to time constraints, I cannot work on Lyrobot anymore beyond very simple adjustments. Adding a new warning message would be too much hassle (and, in any case, I don't believe any of Lyrobot's commands will follow players around and still be visible publicly).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:24 pm 

I think the only thing we can do about customized outfits is to send an automatic KI-mail saying: "Be aware that exploring the public ages with customized outfits is prohibited, please visit your wardrobe and unwear them prior to visit a public age" some kind of simple message like that.

And I don't think playing police enforcers is a nice thing. You can always mention it thru [email protected] if you feel it goes too far or someone is not collaborating but doing a witchhunt on people is not the right way to act.

For example... yesterday, someone said in buddies: "I think XYZ drank too much coffee he is running all over the place!" I responded to him "XYZ is a child and is XX years old." We are a big community and do not think we are all between 25 and 55 of age and we are all reasonable adults.

You might think you are doing the inforcement on a reasonable adult who might say: "Oh... sorry I didn't know that! I'll compel with the rules right now!". You might as well stumble on a young guy or girl who will be either shy to be PMed or just do what kids often do: "Bah! Another adult is trying to give me orders! You're not my mother or my father, go away!" (<--- in their minds not on chat LOL)

Oh and some just disable PM chat if you're not on their buddies list so if someone is not answering your repetitive PMs that might not tell they are not cooperative!

One of janaba1's previous post was really different from what I'm used to read when she wrote. It denotes one's exasperation and I agree with her :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:55 pm 

I read all the post and I would once again answer as clearly as possible. Excuse me if I make mistakes in English, but my native language is French.

It is totally impossible to keep the appearance of a maintainer if you leave the game.
Each part of this set, because it is a clothing and not a special avatar, can be weared and removed separately. Magicbot do not backup any unauthorized clothing in your wardrobe. Even if you go, wearing with this outfit in your wardrobe it does not save it !

There is a big warning in the dress help note :
Quote:
IMPORTANT !!! Maintainer suit, cyanhat, ausshat and vatrus are NOT allowed in Public ages !!!

A robot is made to replace a human who send the same commands to an avatar with an internal client.
Anyone who uses an internal client has the opportunity to do what a robot can do and more! Even without the robot it will always be possible for anyone who wants to use an internal client to make unusual things in all ages. It is a tool that everyone can use. But Magic / Mimi Bot are designed to offer all this without having to use a special client.

Magicbot and Mimibot are still in their private ages. Never in a public place. And those that link with him/her to come in this age know what they are magical. They know that they will see unusual things and they retain some effects even leaving these ages. It is not possible technically for a robot to remove these effects when an avatar leaves their ages.

Either he does not like the magical effects and does not link with robots, either he likes these effects and must know that it is best to reset the game before going in a public age.
I think that each player must take responsibility.

My robots are made to provide more pleasure to old and new players. I think they do not exceed the imposed rules, even in clothing. Every day, I'm working on robots to improve the stability of them and I, once more, assure you that no commands can not destroy the server, or corrupt the vault. They affect the player only, not others. And the effects with my bots are temporary, not permanent unlike someboddy said before.
It is totally impossible to keep the outfit maintainer. When returning after leaving the game, the avatar retains its old clothes, because no command has a "flag" that these clothes backup in the vault of the player. So, when he come back, after a reset, the player has the clothes of his last backup in his closet.

The command clothing is one of dozens that my robots offer to players. Like all other commands it are only available in the private magical age to have fun in these ages. They are not made ​​to destroy the game or offend anyone in a public age.

And, please, do not blame those who are in a public age wearing a strange costume.

But to be clear, I will follow the advice of Annabelle and add a message even clearer, although this is already included in the clothing commands helpnote.

One last thing.
I am creating a multilingual forum dedicated to robot Magicbot and Mimibot. All commands will be explained in detail. All warnings will also be included.

thank you for reading me.
Have fun :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

Mr. Magic.

I have attached a copy of the Magic Clothing file I received from MagicBot.

I have added linefeeds, the lovely Windows Notepad doesn't do decent formatting. I must install Textpad on this machine.

For some reason the file does not contain the line you quote above.

Clothing MagicBot commands
updated January 15 2013

MagicBot KI: 19040117
MimiBot KI: 19316060

Hi !
Here are the commands for clothing male.

To clothe himself : Wear [cloth]
(see list of clothing below)

To unwear : Unwear [cloth]

To change color : Wcolor [cloth] [color] (see list of volors below)

Clothing male :

#Hair
hairless, hair1 to hair5, ptail

#Hat
ausshat, bennie, cyanhat, drchat, golfcap, hardhat, helmet, mhelmet, pathat, phelmet, santahat, strhat

#face
face, dgoggles, glasses1, glasses2, sglasses
beard1, beard2, goatie1, goatie2, goatie3, mustache1, mustache2

#hands
rhand, lhand, rglove, lglove, rglove2, lglove2, rmglove, lmglove

#shirts-torso
bbjersey, bjacket, bshirt, cosmosh, cosmosw, cyansh, cyansw, drcsh, drcsw, dshirt1, dshirt2, dshirt3, dshirt4,
dguilds, gtorso, hsweater, ljacket, mystsh, mystsw, polo, pull, rivensh, rivensw, scoat, swshirt, swshirt1, tdie, tmaint,
tshirt, turtle, vatrus, vbpack, vcath, vdrc, vjacket, vpub, vysha, vzndi

#pants-legs
cpants, eshort, khakis, jeans, mshort, pmaint, savane, short1, short2, sshort, upants

#boots-feet
rbarefoot, lbarefoot, rfshoe, lfshoe, rhboot, lhboot, rmshoe, lmshoe, rsandal, lsandal,
rrshoe1, lrshoe1, rrshoe2, lrshoe2,rvshoe, lvshoe,

#Accessories
pbook, hki

Colors ( from 1 to 5 ): exemple : Red2
White, Red, Orange, Brown, Yellow, Green, Blue, Violet, Black, Gold, Fcol (flesh-colored)

To wear outfits : outfit [name] where name is :
Santaclaus , Maintainer, Beach, Winter, Student

I can only assume I've been sent an old copy or an incomplete one.

Edit: It would be a good idea to put a version number in the file somewhere so you could be certain which copy has been received in cases like this. Update the version number every time you publish a new file. A changelog would be be more through, but perhaps too much for this case. /Edit

In the magic age, I concentrated more on what commands I needed to type to achieve a specific action, and was much consumed with working out how to walk across gaps without falling down in the middle. I'm sure that I must have missed your warning by being too excited about the whole magic experience.

I understand that once the client has left the magical age, your bot can do nothing further to it.

One thing that occurs to me is that perhaps you could record the state of the client when it links in and restore that state when it links out. I can see that that would have implications on the amount of memory required to support each client linking in, and the response time for clients linking in or out.

Otherwise, a reminder message sent to each client linking out may be the best option. It needs only be short, as it will soon become something that regular users skip over, but new users will be reminded and hopefully remember that though certain items may remain on you from the magic age, you should go to your wardrobe and take them off.

I appreciate what you've done with MagicBot and MimiBot, offering the user an opportunity to move beyond the constraints of the scripted storylines, and have enjoyed the experience immensely. It is people like you that have kept the Uru community from stagnating and encourage its growth. I'm quite new here, but have been playing and loving the Myst games since their original publication. From my initial experiences in the public Cavern (asking for help to progress in Ahnonay - [X] volunteered straight away, and I'm only just beginning to appreciate what good luck that was) I've been very impressed with the atmosphere between explorers, the goodwill, willingness to help and general good atmosphere all around.

The Robyn Miller event was an excellent exemplar of this. 70 people in one area, hundreds listening in, and all waiting patiently, listening, not flooding the chat, not demanding attention. The content was pretty special too.

I'm not especially gregarious, and you made me feel at home. Many thanks to all who've helped me.

The Myst community has ensured the survival of the game, in one unbroken continuity, for 20 years, which makes it unique. So if there's anything I can do to help, I'm willing to try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:22 am 

Hello Muttley.

I am delighted with the attention that you, like alot of other players, give to the magic ages .

Version help you publish date of January. The last version is from February.
This is the male help note. Female version is similar but with women's clothing, of course.

[spoiler]Clothing MagicBot commands updated february 3 2013
MagicBot KI: 19040117 MimiBot KI: 19316060

Hi ! Here are the commands for clothing male.

To clothe himself : Wear [cloth] (see list of clothing below)
To unwear : Unwear [cloth]
To change color : Wcolor [cloth] [color] (see list of volors below)

Clothing male :
#Hair
hairless, hair1 to hair5, ptail
#Hat
ausshat, bennie, cyanhat, drchat, golfcap, hardhat, helmet, mhelmet, pathat, phelmet, santahat, strhat
#face
face, dgoggles, glasses1, glasses2, sglasses
beard1, beard2, goatie1, goatie2, goatie3, mustache1, mustache2
#hands
rhand, lhand, rglove, lglove, rglove2, lglove2, rmglove, lmglove
#shirts-torso
bbjersey, bjacket, bshirt, cosmosh, cosmosw, cyansh, cyansw, drcsh, drcsw, dshirt1, dshirt2, dshirt3, dshirt4,
dguilds, gtorso, hsweater, ljacket, mystsh, mystsw, polo, pull, rivensh, rivensw, scoat, swshirt, swshirt1, tdie, tmaint,
tshirt, turtle, vatrus, vbpack, vcath, vdrc, vjacket, vpub, vysha, vzndi
#pants-legs
cpants, eshort, khakis, jeans, mshort, pmaint, savane, short1, short2, sshort, upants
#boots-feet
rbarefoot, lbarefoot, rfshoe, lfshoe, rhboot, lhboot, rmshoe, lmshoe, rsandal, lsandal,
rrshoe1, lrshoe1, rrshoe2, lrshoe2,rvshoe, lvshoe,
#Accessories
pbook, hki

Colors ( from 1 to 5 ): exemple : Red2
White, Red, Orange, Brown, Yellow, Green, Blue, Violet, Black, Gold, Fcol (flesh-colored)

To wear outfits : outfit [name] where name is :
Santaclaus , Maintainer, Beach, Winter, Student

IMPORTANT !!! Maintainer suit, cyanhat, ausshat and vatrus are NOT allowed in Public ages !!![/spoiler]

These notes must be requested using robots regularly to get the latest update commands.
They are, each time new files that are sent to avoid being corrupted by anotations from other players.

I prepare a special forum dedicated to Mimibot and Magicbot. This forum will be in first bilingual: French, English, but may contain other languages ​​if there are volunteers to translate the posts published.
The name of the forum is : Uru MagicWorlds and the link : http://magicworlds.actifforum.com/

You can already see it but it is under construction.
Each command will be explained and comments from members of the forum will help me to improve some commands (if possible of course).

So, the best to do is time, to time, send the command 'help' to the bot to receive the latest help notes.
What I can do is add a new command : Verhelp that would give the date of the latest version of each help note. What do you think?

See you soon in the cavern :)
Mister Magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

Because we really need another Uru forum :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

Mister Magic:

Now that you've drawn my attention to it, I see that you are already doing version control, by including a publication date. This is good for a text file like this, and maybe if I hadn't been dancing in Kirel at the time of posting the edit I'd have noticed. But it was a special weekend.

I was not expecting an update to the help file so soon, and wasn't going to download it again.

I think a command to produce a list of the latest publication dates for each of the help files would be very useful. Perhaps the list could also be sent along with the General help file, which is the first one that a new magic user is likely to ask for.

If all the help files are constructed the same way, the first line of text from each file is all that's needed, assembled into a list.

I've tried to register on your Uru MagicWorlds forum, but it tells me "Sorry, but this username has already been taken." (I'm trying to use my avatar's name, AlanD, rather than Muttley). I can't find it in the members list though. I seems I've managed to make a hash of registering: can you release the name, please, assuming it hasn't been taken by someone else?

My knowledge of French is very poor, I can just about get by as a tourist, so I can't offer technical translation help, but I can proof read, if that will help.

Thanks for all the hard work :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:17 pm 

Quote:
I've tried to register on your Uru MagicWorlds forum, but it tells me "Sorry, but this username has already been taken." (I'm trying to use my avatar's name, AlanD, rather than Muttley). I can't find it in the members list though. I seems I've managed to make a hash of registering: can you release the name, please, assuming it hasn't been taken by someone else?

Very strange. I can't see AlanD or Muttley in the member list. I suggest you try again.
If that doesn't work, try register with another name and I'll change that name with AlanD.

Quote:
If all the help files are constructed the same way, the first line of text from each file is all that's needed, assembled into a list.

Yes that's how help files are constructed. I can do that automatically in one command. I'll look tomorrow.
Thk for your suggest.

Now, when a player wear a "non allowed public age" outfit, it will receive an advert directly in the chatlog that he must go to his wardrobe to remove this outfit.

Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:02 am 
Obduction Backer

Registered as Muttley. If you could change that to AlanD I'd be grateful.

More magic, soon please :)

Does MagicBot ever go to the pod ages?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:16 am 
Obduction Backer

AdamJohnso wrote:
Because we really need another Uru forum

What was your first clue?....lol...PLEASE don't answer that... :shock:

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:08 am 
Obduction Backer

:P

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next