It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:54 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: SKYPE VIRUS
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

I know this is not directly URU related but I also know that many of us use SKYPE while playing URU.
So, beware of the new Skype virus. It all starts by you getting a file from one of your contacts asking you to open it. Since it is your trusted contact, of course you do. For some time nothing happens and then... Firstly your computer gets infected by a very nasty Trojan which corrupts your computer and then sends files to all your contacts on your behalf followed by very nasty messages e.g. "Do you think somebody will ever speak to you after that? I'll show this to all our friends. I think that you'll feel very lonely in the next few days." It tempts you to open the file..... If they open the file they get infected too and the virus continues to spread.
Believe me the messages are quite awful and only true friends who really know you could see through them... A test of friendship maybe but a very nasty one for sure! One click on a file seemingly received from a friend and I finished cleaning my computer till very late in the night. But I also learned who my true friends are :) because almost all of them (except one) didn't believe that the awful messages that they received could be from me and some of them even tried their best to give me a helping hand. The virus is quite new and there is not much written about it on the net but luckily one friend heard about the virus and suggested RogueKiller anti-malvare tool which I used and it worked.
PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD!
p.s. above all do not accuse your friends if you get the virus, they certainly didn't send it to you by purpose, actually it was not them that send it to you in the first place; their accounts have been hacked and used and they have been victims of it as you were!

Last edited by ZestyOfXeniphers on Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks; I'll watch out for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

Basic internet security 101 -- do not open any unsolicited attachment or file. People may or may not be who they say they are.

There's really no need for panicked posts or more crazy chain mail crap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

Adam, I got the file from a TRUSTED friend whom I know in real life. That is the point. It never crossed my mind that she didn't send it. Her account was hacked the same way mine was. I thought she was sending me some pictures we were talking about earlier... I don't open anything that is sent to me by people I don't know well and anyway I don't have anyone on Skype whom I don't know well... As I said it was from a trusted friend... only it was not her that sent it... who would think of it ? She was beside herself when I told her... of course I didn't accuse her...
Besides, this post was not a panicked message, I just wanted to warn people of a new virus, that was all! I wish I was warned by someone before it happened to me, it would spare me lots of distress...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well I think its a great idea that we are all aware of this Skype Trojan , they are designed to catch us out ! , thankyou for the heads up on this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:41 pm 

We've had this before

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

it is a slightly different virus Alien... a new one :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Same idea that exploits the same gullible victims . :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Thanks for sharing this, Zesty. I'm sure you've helped to educate some people so they'll be more cautious in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:14 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Something you need to consider is that this isn't really a "Skype virus", i.e. it's not a virus within Skype itself, but is a PC virus that happens to be using Skype as a means to propagate itself. I'm guessing it's the Bitcoin mining malware that emerged earlier this month.

If you don't read the article I've linked it certainly bears quoting the final paragraph:
Quote:
To avoid this threat and others like it, don’t click on random links you receive on Skype. You’ll be doing yourself a favor, helping stop the spread of malware, and ensuring criminals get a smaller pay day.

It wouldn't surprise me if this malware actually looks for other channels to propagate itself - other popular IM clients, Facebook chat, etc., - even if not, at some point some bit of malware will, so the advice holds for everything.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:00 pm 

Just to cleifly what Adam is getting ate, if it's not clear, it's possible for hackers and viruses too take over your Skype account and send messages on your behalf, which is why it's important to be careful of what attachments and links you open regardless of who sends them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:26 am 
Obduction Backer

Glad I don't use Skype.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:47 am 
Obduction Backer

/me guards her KI..lol

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:58 am 

Tomala wrote:
Glad I don't use Skype.

It's not that bad. It's the same with most things, if you listened to all bad things, you'd die of starvation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:05 am 
Obduction Backer

Alien wrote:
Tomala wrote:
Glad I don't use Skype.

It's not that bad. It's the same with most things, if you listened to all bad things, you'd die of starvation.

I just don't like the idea of setting up my computer as a phone, that and I don't really use webcams (no one needs to see my daft ol face). I'll stick to my own form of voice communication while still watching what links to click... mainly Hoikas'. :P

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next