It is currently Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:03 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:40 am 
Obduction Backer

Nothing wrong with Skype Tomala. As MacFife said, it is Skype now and soon the virus can start using any other channel with IM client to propagate itself. So be careful. Do not open any files before checking with your friends first !
P.S. You don't need to use webcam with Skype. There is an option to use only voice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:22 am 
Obduction Backer

ZestyOfXeniphers wrote:
Nothing wrong with Skype Tomala. As MacFife said, it is Skype now and soon the virus can start using any other channel with IM client to propagate itself. So be careful. Do not open any files before checking with your friends first !
P.S. You don't need to use webcam with Skype. There is an option to use only voice.

I never said that you had to have a webcam to use it. I just said I don't use webcams. If I were to buy Skype I'd probably get it for that reason. Otherwise I'll just stick to with Mumble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:59 am 

"Trusted" person or not, we're all dumb(or smart)@sses online. When you get a message like, Wow! I never thought I'd see your photo here http://asdfasdg.com LOL , it's obvious that something isn't quite right, nobody talks like that.

And let me agree how stupid Skype and all this frenzy with webcaming are. ~__~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

Adi we are not talking of "Wow! I never thought I'd see your photo here" virus. Please read my posts. It's a new more sophisticated virus that I posted about. I btw I've got just a file, no text attached to it. I expected a file from a friend...
Anyway, the reason I posted here is to warn people and help them NOT to get their computers infected by a very nasty virus. I posted for those people that are just human and make mistakes sometimes and can benefit from being warned. Those people that never make mistakes and never click(ed) on anything by accident, it was not posted for you so please ignore this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:41 pm 

Oh you didn't approve of my post?? I'm sorry I can't panic and start screaming, but I've seen that thing too many times over the years to allow it to affect me.

It's still the same type of virus, no "friend" sends a file without commenting on it, let alone an executable or zipped one, especially when they're offline.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

adi wrote:
Oh you didn't approve of my post??

Where did they say that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:17 pm 

Just above, no big deal, I was just itching to say it. ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

I don't have the credibility to approve or disapprove on anyone's posts here nor did I have any intention to do so. I just commented on a post. Of course you are free to interpret it and take it any way you want :) but it won't do any good to anyone if we turn one honest attempt to help people avoid getting a nasty virus into something totally different.
btw most of my friends said they would click on a file if they have not been warned (and some of them did unfortunately), and they are by no means stupid or uneducated people...

Last edited by ZestyOfXeniphers on Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:37 pm 

Yea well maybe I just commented on a post and someone turned my honest attempt to offer an example on how these scams work and suggest not to fall for them into something totally different.

I heard Marion has been baking some yummy shut up muffins these days, I should be off to get some.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think that's a great idea Adi :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:36 pm 

I think anyone who tries to help people by letting them know about a virus and how it is spreading deserves a pat on the back.
The last time this happened via Skype, it was through our contacts list, so it's not unreasonable to trust that it is OK to accept the file / link. The only reason I wasn't infected was because my anti-virus software kicked in with "DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!!" (OK, it didn't literally say that, but you get my point). I know Christine was nearly in tears and Janeerah was having all sorts of problems.

So Zesty, don't think for one minute we don't appreciate your efforts, because we do.
(and Adi ... shush you :P )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

/me refrains from talking about virus protection on Linux

I occasionally receive similar e-mails, and I for one find it particularly suspicious when either of these conditions is met:
1) I receive a message with no text and just a link OR I receive a message with vague and undefined text.
2) The link is to a shortened URL, thus hiding, on first look, the true destination of the e-mail.
3) The message was sent to a large list of contacts (specific to e-mail, admittedly).

Social engineering is probably the way of the future for hackers, since technology keeps evolving and growing more sophisticated while people still remain essentially the same: naive, trusting and, for a significant portion of computer users, entirely non tech-savvy.

On a semi-related note, I prefer using Google to make video or audio calls - one simple, cross-platform plug-in and you're good to go. Not to mention that I don't think Microsoft is particularly keen to make regular updates to Skype for Linux.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:47 pm 

(*nomz nomz*)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:12 am 
Obduction Backer

thank you Alien :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:00 am 
Obduction Backer

well, as Alien said, it took me time (3h if i remember) to clean my comp AND help some friends who were online to do the same (only 2 or 3, lucky me) and I erased the chat to the others. so pls be careful

Membre du quartier Mystpedia - KI 9392
Alts : EG Jan (gone) / Sleeper Jan KI (coming soon)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2