It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:33 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:44 pm 

Okay...if you have been reading my Adventures of Angelmyst, you will know that I have come to the end of my adventure...with one small detail. I need a conclusion that fits in cannon.
Could I have possibly brought back to my relto, a book that I found in another age? It was loose, not attached to a DRC stand...I was able to use it within the age.
If, when I linked from the age, back to my relto..did it come with me, safely tucked in my tunic...or did it fall to the floor, in the age it was found, leaving me no way to return?
The final sequence of my adventure lies in the hands of you...my readers.

KI #03313934

Post subject: Hi Angelmyst!
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah Angelmyst,

According to RAWA, if an object stays with you when you take a step, then it will link with you too. So if it's something you can wear or carry, then it will link. If it's something you can only touch (like a tree), then it won't link.

Of course, you are free to allow this book to have unforeseen properties. After all, we do not yet know if the people of these Ages are D'ni or something else; and we do not know if their manner of Writing differs from the D'ni ways.

(P.S. I sure wish we could see photos of Gordon and Guardian!) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:53 pm 

Can you travel from Eder Kemo to Eder Gira to your Relto with a swarm of fireflies? YES

If you leave an age with a clothing item that you collected in that given age, is the clothing item still on your avatar upon your arrival in the next age? YES

Answer should be YES also for your book. You don't use that book, you travel with it in your tunic. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:01 pm 

Thanks Ainia, and Annabelle. I was thinking along those lines...so I will be able to write the..almost end, to my adventures. I was hoping to be able to keep this door open, and do updates as I go back and see what transpires in my absence. I really did not want to have to build another boat, and then try to find the cavern that I only found because I got lost.
Ainia, I will try to find pictures of Guardian. Gordon however, I was unable to get a picture of, except when he was cocooned....he flitted about way too much. I have some of Guardian,but my KI has not been working correctly since I returned..surprise surprise...lol

KI #03313934

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:29 pm 
The ending has not yet been written...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:51 am 

Well DLoT...now it has...but....since I have my book safely tucked in my wardrobe I will be visiting again someday...I am working at another way across the lake.

KI #03313934

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:47 pm 

I'm a bit late on the response here, but just adding to the confirmations above: considering that the D'ni had to bring linking books with them to any new Ages so that they could return to D'ni as a standard procedure, I'd say that any book in general is the penultimate example of an object you can bring with you through a link, so long as it's not also the book you're actually using TO link (except for Relto, of course, which is the one exception to this rule and always travels with you).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:25 am 

No worries.... if you have a MYST linking book, and you touch it.. you'll go to Myst, but the Myst book you TOUCHED, will stay behind.

If you have a sackful of books to D'ni, to Teledahn, to Eder Gira, Eder Tsogal, tied around your waist.... they would ALL come right with you to Myst. Only the book you used to link, has to stay behind.

--Except the Relto book is an exception to that rule; Yeesha wrore Relto.. she has not a few tricks up her sleeve!

In fact, you have to be IN an Age to make a linking book for that Age. So... you HAVE to be able to take that linking book OUT with you, into another Age.. otherwise there'd never be any linking books available!

And I've also been assured...you can take an Age's descriptive book into that same Age--- For example, I am sure the D'ni book, the actual descriptive book that was written by Ri'neref all those years ago, is IN D'ni-- most likely sealed in the Tomb of the Great Emperor... Garternay collapsed, if the D'ni book had to be left behind it would have been destroyed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:39 am 
Obduction Backer

HarveyMidnight wrote:
Only the book you used to link, has to stay behind.

As when Saveedro steals Releeshan in Myst III - Exile at the beginning

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:25 am 
Obduction Backer

Related to this question is something that has been bothering me for a while. The cavern has no food sources to speak of, and places like Teledahn served to supply food to the populace. How was bulk transport across links achieved? I don't know about you, but I can't carry more than a small sack of produce, but in order to feed the D'ni in the cavern huge masses of food would have to be brought in every day. There has to be a method of moving large amounts across a link.

My knowledge of the D'ni timeline is not great, but if the Bahro were enslaved before the creation of the underground colony, then it could be that one of the tasks they had to perform was such transport. There is a reference to "beasts of burden" somewhere, and this may not have been literal (i.e. not carrying loads on their backs) but functional, performing the bulk transport of resources.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:48 am 
Obduction Backer

I do believe that RAWA has stated that the D'ni used beasts of burden to transport large amounts of produce at once. I do believe this is literal in the sense of large animals carrying large loads on their backs. More organised people then me may be able to find his exact post where he said this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:40 am 

My Adventures of Angelmyst touches on this a bit. An age where individuals or families would go to procure food or take a vacation.

KI #03313934

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:09 pm 

AlanD wrote:
The cavern has no food sources to speak of, and places like Teledahn served to supply food to the populace. How was bulk transport across links achieved? I don't know about you, but I can't carry more than a small sack of produce, but in order to feed the D'ni in the cavern huge masses of food would have to be brought in every day. There has to be a method of moving large amounts across a link..

Not necessarily... look at the bevins. There's a common library in each of them, with a link to one of two garden Ages.

The garden Ages may not necessarily have been just for recreation, they could literally have been vegetable gardens. All the hoods probably used to have linking books to other food production Ages....and perhaps each hood had several 'delivery boys' who would go to the Ages every day & pick up certain staples to deliver door-to-door in the hood---- like how in our world 50 years ago, a 'milkman' used to deliver milk to the doorstep every morning.

If any D'ni family had specific items they wanted, or if they didn't want to wait on the delivery-boy, mom or dad could just hustle down to the common library, and link to the Age to pick up some groceries. There were probably even 'farmer's markets' set up in the Garden Ages, long ago...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

That's a very good point, Harvey, linking technology unlike plain teleportation, allows each small group to have its own garden. Would need to be maintained, and harvesting crops as they ripen would need extra staff, but it's all very possible.

Places like Teledahn would supply rare luxuries that were difficult to cultivate, perhaps.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]