It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:45 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

Christopher73 wrote:
MercAngel wrote:
getting shards owners to use a stander server and client.

I don't think that this will happen, cause every shard out there has it's own client with it's own features. If every shard would use the same client, they all would be nearly the same (if not identical)...
As for the server: I also don't think, that shards would change their server, cuase this would make it necessary to wipe the vault and every user progress would be lost.
So it's a nice idea, but as long as it require shards to use the same client/server I don't think it will move something.

Christopher

Rusty_Russell kind of got the point it is the database, Python, fan ages, they way the owners setup the SDL files. all this make each shard differnt.

Rusty_Russell wrote:
It's the database that makes the shard. A shared database is a merged shard.

I don't know what the goal is here, a gateway to multiple shards or a link to just one.

the goal is to not have to have a lot of clients on you computer. one client for log into cyan another for Ghan another one for my shard and as more shard open that's more clients on you computer. or have one client folder and download new exe every time you switch shard's

with a multishard client you can log into any shard and the only thing it needs to download is the Python and SDL files and any fan ages you may not have on your computer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:00 pm 

I think the makers of the Gehn Shard want you to use their client so that they can give you code updates.(inginre the security issues). Cyan would probably be OK with it, as they allow for internal clients, I know this kind of defautls the perpuse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:22 am 

MercAngel wrote:

Rusty_Russell kind of got the point it is the database, Python, fan ages, they way the owners setup the SDL files. all this make each shard differnt.

This may be the case before CWE got Open Source. Now the client makes also a great part of the shards. For example if you compare the Gehn, TOC and Minkata. Minkata is the Testing shard for MOULa, so They would never take a client from the other two shards. The Gehn stands for quality, so if you force them to take the Minkata Client a lot of that quality would be lost due to the latest Graphical improvements in CWE. The TOC has a lot of it's features based on the client. I don't remember everything, but you can see it on their github fork. If you force them to take a standard client, half of their features would be lost. So only thing you could do is to say "I declare xxx shard as standard" and use this client and server for the Atlantis shard... THen you would have at least 2 of 5 supported shards (I count MOULa in).

Christopher

EDIT: I didn't actually looked into this part of the code, but I think if you would only standardize the patcher, it would be ok. The patcher should be nearly the same on every shard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:47 am 
Obduction Backer

Christopher73 wrote:
MercAngel wrote:

This may be the case before CWE got Open Source. Now the client makes also a great part of the shards. For example if you compare the Gehn, TOC and Minkata. Minkata is the Testing shard for MOULa, so They would never take a client from the other two shards. The Gehn stands for quality, so if you force them to take the Minkata Client a lot of that quality would be lost due to the latest Graphical improvements in CWE. The TOC has a lot of it's features based on the client. I don't remember everything, but you can see it on their github fork. If you force them to take a standard client, half of their features would be lost. So only thing you could do is to say "I declare xxx shard as standard" and use this client and server for the Atlantis shard... THen you would have at least 2 of 5 supported shards (I count MOULa in).

Christopher

EDIT: I didn't actually looked into this part of the code, but I think if you would only standardize the patcher, it would be ok. The patcher should be nearly the same on every shard.

I take it you didn't play pre gametap Uru then? All shards were listed under one client but each shard was still unique in it's own way due to how the server was run by each person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tomala wrote:
I take it you didn't play pre gametap Uru then? All shards were listed under one client but each shard was still unique in it's own way due to how the server was run by each person.

Yes, but as Christopher notes, that was
Christopher73 wrote:
the case before CWE got Open Source.

With the possibility to customize the client, shard operators got additional freedom to differentiate their shards, and you’ll have a hard time taking that away again.

But the client executables are not the problem, they are relatively small. The pain is the dat and sfx folders that are several gigabytes and mostly identical between the shards. What you should do if you want to unify shard client installations is build a way to share the common parts of the content files between different clients.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:54 pm 

Back 5 years ago, having 150 Gb of hard disk was something really expensive and not everyone could afford such a high-end PC.

Computers now aren't sell without at least 1 Tb. And if you have an old PC, for 69 buck, you buy an external HDD of 1 Tb.

I remember having paid more for an external HDD of 1 Tb some years ago compared to my recent buy of a 3 Tb...

Apart a shard that we cannot talk here :lol: that takes 10 to 15 Gb, all the CWE shards and MOULa take approximately 3 to 4 Gb. Not even 1% of common today disk usage...come on :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

Annabelle wrote:
Not even 1% of common today disk usage...come on

TY.. :shock:

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

Annabelle wrote:
Apart a shard that we cannot talk here :lol: that takes 10 to 15 Gb, all the CWE shards and MOULa take approximately 3 to 4 Gb. Not even 1% of common today disk usage...come on :lol:

If I kept a seperate install of all my Uru clients, I would run out of diskspace on my computer, which is about a year old and mid-end.

But the real problem for me isn't the local storage space, it's downloading all the data that's slow - it takes a few hours to re-download everything, longer if the shard has additionalcontent available. That's partly why I'm looking forward to Age patching mechanisms - this could have several considerable advantages, including a faster download of modified/updated Ages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ah, Bach!!! My Dad used to say that when it hit home (dawned on him).. TY Lyrositor

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:33 am 

URU and other games start to 'add up' and evenchuly start taking up large amounts space, espeselly these days when most new games take up 10-12 GB without DLC. If your an URU developer it's worse for you have a test copy + source code + dev libs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:51 am 

All my installs of URU whatever they are offline, online, or borderline :wink:, they amount to a grand total of 61 Gb.

It's not even on my radar.

I do have rethink of that waking up (that's the preferred moment of the day to think about your sins of the day before) :lol: ... and forgive me. I realize I'm arguing with young people (Charura living with her dad, Jamie (I have no clue but instinct tells me he is young), & Lyrositor (I do know his exact age). You are not at the same stage of your respective lives than me let say.

One good advice to remember from an elder :lol: :wink: : when you will have your own budget and have enough to buy yourselves a PC, go for a high-end PC even if you are afraid by the price. My old PC from 2007 is still running fine. With today's standard, it is still a PC I could run without having any other. My latest PC has more advanced specs than many of today's mid-end PCs and it's more than 3 years old now. I'm expecting running it well for 5 to 7 years more. The high price paid will be really well amortized. Sure my video card could be upgraded except for my "gaming" usage which revolves mainly on URU, I don't see the need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:27 pm 

You are correct I'm 23. For disk space it's all relative, a good way to think of it is like an addiction, addicts often say "one sigerate will do me no harm", this is true and 61 GB will 'do you no harm either' but if keep smokeing, evenchully it will catch up with you, same with disk space, eventually you will run out. If all you do is URU then you can do fine with a computer form 2007, since the game has not changed much since 2007.(I can't promises you this will be the case espelly with some of the things the H-uru team want too do with the gehn shard).

Lastly I believe we are off-topic, so maybe the mod should split this thread ;).

EDIT: Annabeha how much disk space do you have, and what type of disk do you have(Solid sate or traditional)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:27 am 
Obduction Backer

Jamie Marchant wrote:
You are correct I'm 23. For disk space it's all relative, a good way to think of it is like an addiction, addicts often say "one sigerate will do me no harm", this is true and 61 GB will 'do you no harm either' but if keep smokeing, evenchully it will catch up with you, same with disk space, eventually you will run out. If all you do is URU then you can do fine with a computer form 2007, since the game has not changed much since 2007.(I can't promises you this will be the case espelly with some of the things the H-uru team want too do with the gehn shard).

Lastly I believe we are off-topic, so maybe the mod should split this thread ;).

EDIT: Annabeha how much disk space do you have, and what type of disk do you have(Solid sate or traditional)

This.

I have over 5 TB of storage on my main computer, 2 TB on my laptop (both high end systems). If I played Uru and only Uru this would be more than enough. But since I do a lot more than just play Uru (other games, video/audio work) it adds up after awhile. I can understand separate clients for certain shards if they want to use their own auth and data setup. But it would also be nice to have an option that lets people choose from one client where they want to go to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:01 am 
Obduction Backer

You can create hard links to the dat and sfx folders. A single version of the data with multiple folders pointing to it. Kind of works like a shortcut but the OS thinks its a folder.

Apple removed it. Here is a way to add it back a simple command-line utility that implements directory hardlinks on Mac OsX https://github.com/selkhateeb/hardlink
I have no idea how to do this in Windows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shard is back up links are in here http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 314#398314

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next