It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:05 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: come back to the Cavern
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:48 am 

I see a lot of names posting here in the forum whom I have never seen in game. If all of you would come back to the Cavern a bit and get involved again....not just hang in your hood...but really get involved...play marker missions...go on tours...play waterpolo...play soccer...help newbies...go on door runs....come to story nights...and any of the other events that get planned...and help Cavcon...it would be WONDERFUL.
Hope to see you...luv angelmyst
ps...buddy me if you come back!!!

KI #03313934

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

angelmyst wrote:
I see a lot of names posting here in the forum whom I have never seen in game. If all of you would come back to the Cavern a bit and get involved again....not just hang in your hood...but really get involved...play marker missions...go on tours...play waterpolo...play soccer...help newbies...go on door runs....come to story nights...and any of the other events that get planned...and help Cavcon...it would be WONDERFUL.
Hope to see you...luv angelmyst
ps...buddy me if you come back!!!

You forgot pellet dropping, but yeah. An overly exciting list of events nevertheless. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

How many decades do you think you or anyone can do this all incessantly with inexhaustible enthusiasm?... :P

This is just an answer/a question on behalf of someone of the 'old guard', of course ... and this certainly applies to any and all computer games, whereas this one 'Uru/Myst and the like' seems to be magically more than 'just any game', but even this one isn't eternally sufficiently satisfying and delightful, at least not for me, and I'm only speaking of the 'game' here ... :)

You are the new generation, angelmyst and all newly called/arrived, and to those and all nostalgic 'old-timers' and D'ni descendants and enthusiasts your plea seems appropriate and beneficial ... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
It's easy to conclude that we're Running Out of Things To Do, but even without these Events, I'm constantly making new friends in Ae'gura. And once in a great while, and old friend returns - such as last night.

And yes, I'm still looking forward to Sevkor. :)

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:10 pm 

I'm with Janaba on this one. I mean, a lot of us old-timers still have some kind of spark for Myst and Uru (why else would we even poke around the forums?), but that energy has tapered off a bit. The embers are still burning, quiet and a little inconspicuous as they are, but we're low on fuel for the metaphorical fire, so we keep it on a low burn until we have more to raise it up again. I, and I'm sure others, think it's great that we have you new folks running around who can keep up the necessary levels of enthusiasm to continue generating interest in this magical world we all love. However, for those of us who have been around Uru for 10 years (not to mention those who have been enthusiastically with Myst for twice that long), trying to sustain that at present would only run us out completely, and I for one don't want that any more than I imagine you do.

I still like to visit the cavern on a fairly regular basis. I grew up with Myst and Uru. Myst was one of the very first games I ever played, and I would be lying if I said it and Uru didn't help to define who I am today. A lot of us visit--even if only occasionally--because we just can't stay away, but sustaining that level of daily excitement is difficult for a lot of us who have seen all of what the cavern and the Ages currently have to offer more times than we have bothered to count.

That leaves the community, which has always been an important facet of Uru. A lot of us have drifted off with our own, smaller groups while the cavern sleeps. But even The Cavern Today went for two years without putting out a podcast before we finally got another one out, and I think that shows that we are still around. We may not be loud, nor even seen, but we're here. Waiting. Watching.

And, perhaps, we should become more active and engaged. I'd love to see it happen. I think the real question there is what will spur that on? This rallying cry? Some piece of unexpected good news? Maybe something else entirely? It's hard to say, really, but I'm sure that calling for folks to come visit can't hurt so much.

You can be sure that I'll keep poking my head in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm not exactly an "old-timer," but i do appreciate your frustration, angelmyst. I would love to be spending a lot more time in the cavern than I do: My most recent visit was the April AGM (for which I was 40 minutes late :P) Prior to that, I believe my last login was before the new year! But you see, things change for each of us in our lives and that makes a visit to the cavern daily difficult... I have two small children now, and I am currently building a new home (literally, using hammer and nails and drywall) with my husband, which all take up a LOT of my time and energy. I still care about the community and the game itself, but it is much more plausible for me to pop on the forums for 15 minutes and catch up on what's happening, post if there's something that I want to say, and then get back to my hectic days, than it is to load uru, login, wait for updating, make my way to the city, stand at the top of the Ae'gura stairs, say hello if there's anyone nearby, and then sigh and log off because the baby wants feeding again.

I wish we could ALL be there all the time, playing games, just chatting, or welcoming newcomers and going on tours with them, but for me personally, its just not possible right now. My free moments get spent age-building if I can (i'm just a beginner at this though), and I know that in time, my opportunity to be present in the cavern will return.

Those faithful embers are all there, in the old logs and the new! Uru's not going to die. Its just a little... dormant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:04 pm 

I know this leads to a chicken and egg problem but I would be in cavern more if there was something going on but I guess we need people in cavern for there to be something going on. The good news is a do drop in occasionally on the weekends.

Also this thread does not seem to be "off-topic" too me, maybe it should be moved.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah everyone,

This is becoming an interesting conversation! I'm not exactly an old-timer to the Cavern due more to circumstance rather than inclination (poor connectivity here in New Mexico in those days and then later moving from Windows to a Mac platform). I discovered the Gametap Mac port a few months before they announced the last Cavern closure and had horrible lag problems back then if there very many other explorers present in Cavern. But I made it to the Cavern closure party and danced until the end in spite of the lag.

I'd played all the Myst games offline with a friend over the years, this becoming our winter holiday treat--playing the newest Myst game, with one of us driving and the other taking notes. It was great fun. We even had a joint avvie (Peabody) for one of the early incarnations of MOUL since my friend had better connectivity at that time (and still does), plus a better hardware setup. I don't remember why we didn't stick with it but suspect we had difficulty actually getting in; that along with the monthly subscription fee probably made it difficult to justify at the time. (Keep in mind that New Mexico continues to be a backwater when it comes to technological infrastructure.)

Anyhow I kept my MOUL Cider install safe in the hopes... And am using it again now that we can get back into D'ni. As with many other explorers, I'm not terribly interested in other games unless they resemble the Myst ones--the freedom to explore an immersive environment, enigmas to understand and solve, a rich and complex backstory underpinning everything else.

In terms of keeping busy, I haven't been as socially involved as I'd like; maybe someday that will change. I tend to be caught up in myriad side projects that demand a great deal of time, with sporadic Age research trips to support them. My web site was a project I started to tide myself over after the last Cavern closure and now it has a renewed lease on life! (Though the older part remains badly broken; I'm working on resurrecting it in "all my spare time"! ;) )

So far, I haven't run out of interesting questions to explore. For me, it's rather like I am gathering little puzzle pieces (these questions and enigmas), hoping that I will eventually have a large enough collection of them that I can stand back and then try to cobble together part of the larger story at work around us. It's a very appealing puzzle on a larger yet subtler scale.

I have heard RAWA's challenge and am answering it!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:21 pm 

As someone who's constantly logged in every day for as long as has been physically possible for me, URU definitely is a place I wish to see people returning to. I don't really consider myself to be any part of a 'new guard' or 'old guard' or even a 'night guard' (LOL)-- I'm just there.

Sure, at times it feels tiring to be there with only newer and newer faces constantly coming in, but those times when I see a familiar face pop in from years back... It brings a smile to my face. I understand, though, that real life tends to get in the way a LOT of things- as my own surface life is starting to intrude in a lot of ways as of late- and that makes it hard for people to come down.

But I still hope for those days when I see people from the past there in D'ni yet again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:49 pm 

Wondeful responses...I hope to run into you all some time in the Cavern.... I have met TOOO and Jamie thus far and I think janaba..rhee and cal....but I have a lot of buds so I am not certain....
I know I am not an "old timer" and I can understand how it could get old after so many years...I hope things are still running in 2020 so I can find out. Love this place. Luv angelmyst.

KI #03313934

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:39 am 
Obduction Backer

Not all of us "old timers" are bored. Some of us are very grateful for the opportunity to visit regularly... or rarely.
Let's just crank the Cavcon meter higher and enjoy our time together.

And why is this "Off Topic"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:53 am 
Obduction Backer

HenryMikel wrote:
Not all of us "old timers" are bored. Some of us are very grateful for the opportunity to visit regularly

I think I said that in another thread, but yes indeed

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:39 am 
Obduction Backer

Dalken Starbyne wrote:
I'm with Janaba on this one. I mean, a lot of us old-timers still have some kind of spark for Myst and Uru (why else would we even poke around the forums?), but that energy has tapered off a bit. The embers are still burning, quiet and a little inconspicuous as they are, but we're low on fuel for the metaphorical fire, so we keep it on a low burn until we have more to raise it up again. I, and I'm sure others, think it's great that we have you new folks running around who can keep up the necessary levels of enthusiasm to continue generating interest in this magical world we all love. However, for those of us who have been around Uru for 10 years (not to mention those who have been enthusiastically with Myst for twice that long), trying to sustain that at present would only run us out completely, and I for one don't want that any more than I imagine you do.

That's pretty much how I feel too. I still visit on occasion, but I don't see anything I can really get involved in (and it doesn't help that I'm strung across quite a bit of things these days). There's a lot I would like to do but I see no way of doing it, or even a point to doing it. So the best I can do is just chat with whoever is around or help someone if I still remember how to do the puzzle let alone crash. I still need to visit the fan ages on Gehn, I've heard real nice things about them. Maybe I'll even bring FRAPS. :P

If you like doing the same things over and over again that's all fine and good, but people need to understand that there's going to be very few people who share the same mindset. Not enough to keep a game healthy anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:05 pm 

Agreed with Tomala - most people aren't going to do the same things over and over... most of us have finished all the MOULa content, and have little left to do in Uru other than chat.

Worse - no new players showing up lately due to the account creation problems.

We need more content, and it can't just be Sevkor. I'd like to develop ages with puzzles (beyond Sevkor) but have zero Python scripting experience. I have discussed the future of Uru with Karkadann in the past; we've talked about things aside from Sevkor, like assisting with each others' ages. I'd like to work with Karkadann and Jmp12 beyond Sevkor, if they're up for further collaboration.

The way I figure it, Karkadann has a few ages that could use some visual and audio enhancement, but which are really good conceptually and really functional... Relativity, and the Walking Maze, and his board-game ages.

I have my 'D'ni Temple' world and it could use some ambient sound (and conversion to CWE format) and there are also a few other worlds I have concepts for, that may be modeled in the future and would likewise need audio and interactions implemented.

That said, all of this other fan-age stuff may take a while to go anywhere. Right now my fan art focus is on completion of Sevkor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:35 pm 

the idea behind the board games was a different puzzle every time, and the board games transcend the language barrier so people who dont speak the same language can find a common denominator, those are the ones I would like to see added but I am not sure how they would fit into the story of D'ni and although I have updated the Chess age with a chess clock a gazebo and
[spoiler]a little something for the sky divers[/spoiler]
I feel that they are not yet ready for open source
the Backgammon board was updated a while back and the checker board I had some ideas but have yet to implement them, the Walking maze can be expanded and the Lost Stonehenge still needs an update.

The Relativity age how ever is being worked on by some of the blender artist over at the GoW and Im hoping should be ready soon, I have not been able to work on it directly but have been more then happy to contribute a few Max files I had for it. other models from Escher I had replicated and posted over at the GoW where rebuild and turn out wonderfully. what is seen in the drawing is mostly done although it could still use some landscaping out side of the initial intersection which is what you see in the drawing.

Something I learned from wondering threw Cyan ages over the years "always leave room for expansion" something I always try to fit into my ages

as far as collaboration is concerned Im no professional but I will help if I can

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next