It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Perspective
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:40 am 
Obduction Backer

Hey folks,

With the recent server reset it sure seems like there have been some high tensions among regulars here on the Myst Online forums.

Some of us can get a bit upset at times because we care a lot, and that's a good thing (the caring part, that is). But there has been a whole lot of fussing lately over things of rather mediocre importance.

In light of that, I offer these 3 tips to remember.

1. Just because someone makes a suggestion doesn't automatically mean it is self-serving.

For example, when there is a drought and someone suggests to conserve water, it seems like there is often SOMEONE who rolls out the accusation, "You just want us to conserve so you can have more for yourself!". Don't be that guy (or gal).

2. Our perspectives are always colored by our experiences, and often we don't have all of the facts.

Sometimes other people do the craziest things. And we think to ourselves, "That person is crazy!" But think back to the proverb about spending a day in another person's shoes. Maybe if you had the perspective and experiences of that other person, it wouldn't seem so crazy.

3. It's easy to forget this is just a game.

It hurts to say that. Even I think to myself, "But it isn't 'just' a game." I'm very attached to Uru; I have been with it for over a decade. Yet it is just a game. No matter how I feel about it, and no matter the great things it may have done in our community members' lives, the city in which I live is bigger than this; my country, bigger still; and then there's the whole earth, which begins to exceed my ability to comprehend its very size... and you know the earth, as Carl Sagan once reminded us, is itself a mere mote of dust floating in the great universe. Now THAT is some perspective.

I suppose I can summarize all three of the above points as "Don't lose sight of the bigger picture."

Every day in our world, there are both wonderful and terrible things that happen. While we may bicker over events in a game, or our cell phone reception, or the rising price of a cup of coffee... there are so many other more important things in the world with which to concern ourselves.

Uru is a place to escape from our real-world worries, for a little while. If we're getting torqued out of shape over KI number conspiracies, alleged name claim-jumping, and bots paging us unexpectedly while some bugs are being worked out... that's kind of missing the point of why we're here, isn't it?

Thank you for reading and considering this.

Post subject: Re: Perspective
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:21 am 

Well-said, Marten.

I mean "u suck, fight me" :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:58 am 
Obduction Backer

Frankly, what I’ve seen with the recent server reset is a big dose of the “snobbery and elitism rife within the game” (guess who I’m quoting).

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:02 am 

korovev wrote:
Frankly, what I’ve seen with the recent server reset is a big dose of the “snobbery and elitism rife within the game” (guess who I’m quoting).

Don't go implying anything, veiled insults help nobody. If you have a problem with someone, then PM that person and come to an amicable agreement.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:10 am 

well said, marten, but i'd like to add another point:

Consider that there might be language restrictions. If the primary language here was e.g. Swahili*, how eloquent would we state our proposals?

(*= yes i know, there will be someone around here who's fluent in swahili - it is just an example and i chose it cause i thought most ppl here wouldn't speak swahili, and if it turns out i'm wrong, please do not hang me ......*ducks and covers*)

Last edited by debeh on Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:12 am 
Obduction Backer

Wow!!! This is sheer awesomeness ... Our wise owl, Marten, has spoken, no pun intended, I mean it just as I've said it ... :P

Marten has always been the 'voice of reason' in the community, which, of course, doesn't imply that there were/are no others, but this wonderful offer or recommendation of a more neutral and broader and thus more cooperative and generous perspective just touched and impressed me deeply, so, I'd like to emphazise and support this offer, stance and perspective in this way ... :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:59 pm 

I think the idea that "It's just a game" needs to be treated very, very carefully. Uru is a game, but people come into the game, do things, and carry the effects of those in-game events into the outside world. Ghaelen's "MOULaWakening" yesterday is a great, recent example, but I think one can say the same of just about any encounter in the game.

I have been told many times that something I'm doing "is just a ..." with the implication that the activity is valueless. I have heard parents tell their children the same thing. Beethoven probably heard this as he wrote his 9th symphony, and the whole group of the Inklings heard it more than once as they worked out the ideas for "The Chronicles of Narnia" and "The Lord of the Rings."

Yes, it is a game. It's still important. My life has been enriched by encounters within the game. One example is my encounter with Donahoo in 2005 that led to me becoming a D'niJ, which led and is leading to many other interesting encounters. Most recently, we (myself and several Uru players) have been spreading some Uru-style "Let's everyone throw something into the pot and see what kind of stew we get" into the typical Second Life "Let's all stand here and let our avatars dance while we do other things" party.

What is of greater importance than a human life? It's easy for one thread to get lost in the tapestry, but Jesus himself said he'd leave the 99 sheep to go and find the lost one. Our world denigrates the importance of the individual. "It's just one person." Societies are made from individuals, and the individuals don't learn how to become a society by magic, nor by being told they're insignificant. Many encounters that matter aren't even noticed at the time.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Thank you for the wonderful post, Marten. I will take your words to heart and try to do better.

Debeh, you've made an excellent point, too. I used to assume that poor spelling / grammar was the mark of lazy teenager, but now I consider that English may not the poster's first language and when I know that, then I'm impressed that they know two languages.

LC, my first reaction was that it's more than a game, it's a community... but, then I realized that the issues Marten referred to (KI numbers, avatar names & bot messages) were all game-related. So, my take is that we should be placing community members and their feelings above those game-related issues and be more kind to each other.

Thank you, Marten.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr wrote:
Debeh, you've made an excellent point, too. I used to assume that poor spelling / grammar was the mark of lazy teenager, but now I consider that English may not the poster's first language and when I know that, then I'm impressed that they know two languages.

Continuing on that tangent, if I may… It’s not just a matter of foreign languages either, there’s also the dyslexic, people whose brain is not wired for processing written language, which need not mean that they are any less intelligent or otherwise valuable community members. I know that I (like others in the culture I tend to associate with) am having a hard time taking people seriously who can’t spell, and I need to tell that to myself again and again.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thank you for starting this thread, Marten. Love it!

I have observed that there is a lot of tension in the world right now, and the stress and drama in the forum is just part of that. It has been since I've been around, anyway. The world isn't going to end, or at least all the predictions never came true. So now what do we do? All those fighting (survival) urges we've been told for so long are necessary still want a place to express. They will cause us spatter and splatter until each of us gets control - of ourselves, not of others. This might be 'just a game' or it might be a microcosm of the larger world. I think it is both. It is certainly a very real community.

I see a great deal of "take that!" and "eat pellets!", and "your relto!" and other kinds of gauntlet tossing in this forum. Keep a fight going at all costs - it gets really old. I also see plenty of bullying behavior on the forum, too. Not just the obvious kind. Ridiculing other people's concerns or questions seems to be a popular tactic, as does commenting in a snide manner to a post that has nothing to do with the commentor. These are not helpful, nor do they answer a question, nor do they move a discussion forward. I think about the purpose of the comment. What is to be gained except attention and showing off one's importance or cleverness or irritation? It certainly doesn't cause me to think badly of the person asking the question or posting the original post. I empathize with irritation and a short fuse, but not with targeting posts with irrelevant splatter. It's especially unattractive if it makes someone else the target of an indirect but mean-spirited comment.

Seriously, it takes more courage and personal strength to allow other people to make fun of you than it does to make fun of other people. I know this from experience. Putting people down is easy - building them up not so much. That gets ridiculed, too.

I absolutely agree about spelling, grammar, and sentence construction. I've taught for too long to underestimate the wisdom lurking inside a person who lacks 'cleverness' when generating a string of words or wasn't listening when their neighbor asked the very same question five minutes before. I've dealt with my fair share of whiners, complainers, and drama kings and queens. It might try my patience, but I don't have to say that. None of us do. Everything we post (at least on this forum) is a choice - everything.

Sometimes it's ok to let others have the last word. Most of the time its ok to keep quiet. It doesn't make you weak or lacking in power (whatever that is). It means you are discerning in the choices you make - and comfortable in your own skin. It takes a lot of energy to debate or 'fight' with a person who loves the fight or the drama of 'winning' just - because winning. And for what? A prize? What prize? The only thing they 'win' is an inflated ego that has more control over their actions than they do. It that the kind of prize you want to fight for?

A story: De Landria

Ghaelen: Moula.2 KI #64299

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

So very well said Marten, if there was "LOVE THIS" button I would click it in a heart beat.

KI #00031776
Have you had your HUG today?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:41 pm 

How I wish things were as Marten suggested. In the very early days, URU was just that: a fun place to be. However things have changed and never been right since.

With the recent server reset, I realized once and for all that things will never improve here. I know there are only a very small few that argue, bicker and clearly feel superior to others because they spend more time here / have a low KI number / were the first to notice the game was back up / were here since the year 1837 and counting... if that sort of thing gives certain people status in life, so be it. The sad thing is that there are so few left to bicker with. How I wish URU prospered, with regular updates, new ages even and a thriving, huge community that got along just fine!

Even though we no longer partake in the forums, we still visit the MOUL server at times. After all I met the love of my life in Prologue. URU was our courting ground for 2 years before we got married in 2005. It changed my life 180 degrees, I moved to the other side of the ocean and embraced a new culture and nationality. We have no choice but be eternally grateful for the best thing that ever happened to both of us.

At first, URU was magic. We had so much fun in Prologue, then Until Uru and had such high hopes for the game. However, unfortunately it was soon plagued by non stop arguments, petty behaviour, complaints and strife as well as a bit of bad luck. Combined with the lack of official communication, lack of progress or direction, idle promises here and threats there, erratic moderating, holier than thou attitudes and entitlements, we finally decided that it was no longer the place for us.

After 3 or 4 years of absence I finally had a peek in the forums again, to find out there was vault wipe. Instead of discussing ways to get back online amiably, I ran into more than 10 pages of entitlement and bickering, so I posted in a rage. Later we apologized in private to some parties involved, we never heard back. That is okay, we realize we have probably overstayed our welcome. Coming back after so long, only to be posting in a rage was not a good idea. Seeing the EXACT same attitudes that chased us out 4 years ago opened up a lot of old wounds. It is astonishing that such a gentle game seems to invite so much dissention.

I have been heavily involved in a few other non-game related communities, one of which I started myself. This finally opened my eyes to how toxic the MOULa forum really has become. It IS possible to have a peaceful community of thousands and just enjoy each other's company. It hurts me no end to see what this forum has become, because deep down I still have the same passion for the game as I did 12 years ago. With this recent vault wipe, we have played through the ages once again, and I had tears in my eyes what a great place D'ni really is, and the many things we lost before we even had them.

In the beginning of MOULa, we felt obligated to contribute to the Cavcon and happy to do so. We even got a few personal thank you emails from two Cyan "top dogs". We'd be happy to contribute again if peace and quiet ever returns to this place. However, as things are now, I doubt very much it will ever grow or prosper, because from what I see people can't even agree on the color of their socks, let alone building something as a joint effort. We are not going to support rooster fights. It is time to let go... wake us up when something good is finally happening. We still remain hopeful!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:20 pm 

Sophia, I could not write better words than what you wrote. Amazing.
Every bit was the truth.
I know I haven't been around as long as you and others, but I feel the same
pain as you do. I have been around long enough to remember all the good
things you have mentioned. No fighting and people trying to be better than
others. Complaining about their Ki numbers and feeling stress over a number?
Really? The longer playing explorers like yourself and I and some others can
vouch for what you have said.
I found out now that they have some will "report" you for the least thing to Cyan.
If some would just sit in the cavern and watch and listen, people would be amazed
at the things going on. Not all the time, but a lot.
I never heard of people being banned but knew it could happen. But, having a
group of "police" just waiting to pounce is a bit weird to me.
In the game, we are a bunch of avatars made up of color and pixels, etc. We are
not real. I could talk for hours on this subject, but I won't. I am sure we both will
be criticized for what we have said here.

We all lost a lot when the vault was cleaned out.
Now we have to start over with everything. And I mean everything.
New attitudes, friendships, less private chats, saying hello to anyone entering the
cavern, helping the "true" new players along their way.
If the infighting does not cease then we will only have a semi-crowd on days for events
and the rest of the time a small group standing around in the city. Quiet and non-responsive.
No new explorers.

Let's hope people shake all the bad things away and start anew.
A new and improved URU.

-Nicoleleigh-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

The trolling is so thick in this thread that I can cut it with a knife.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:00 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Thread derailment alert. :wink:

I believe Marten's intention was to get us all to look at our own actions and how they might contribute to the general atmosphere of the forums, not to point fingers at others. (That's not to you, Adam; I started writing before you posted.)

It's about perspective. Where some might see a dark and horrid place full of mean and nasty posters, I see my beloved community which is normally full of warm and friendly people, but has recently experienced a difficult (traumatic for some) situation. I recognize how I might have perpetuated some of the more heated discussions and vow to try to do better in the future.

Complaining about the forums does not contribute to making them a better place, but only perpetuates the bad feelings. Participation with positive posts and ignoring the negative ones can make a difference.