It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:27 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:39 am 
Obduction Backer

I'd like to know if anyone has ever gotten Myst EoA to work on a Windows 7? I feel like I recall some people who claimed so.

I've tried things like compatibility modes and everything I could try. I still can't get Myst EoA to even run.

I know I've asked about this issue before, but I never got real answers. But I think that other people had the problem besides me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:47 am 
Obduction Backer

Which version are you trying to use? I don't remember trying the original release on Windows 7, but I can't say for sure that I haven't. I have played a good bit with the steam version on 7 and have not had any trouble with it. It runs much more smoothly than it did originally, especially in Direbo, but I suspect it is from the difference in equipment from then to now rather than the operating system or version of the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:55 am 
I have.

Edit: Actually, I haven't been able to get the disk version to run, which is probably the one you mean. I had to resort to paying a pretty penny for the digital version on GoG.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:01 am 
Obduction Backer

I have the original disc version and have it installed and running on Win7 64bit with no compatibility or anything.
Only thing that might be different is I have UAC turned off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:47 am 
Obduction Backer

For the original CD/DVD release, you need to grab this patch http://cho.cyan.com/patches/Myst5InitFiles.zip

If you cannot find the folder mentioned in the readme file, type %LOCALAPPDATA% into the Windows Explorer address bar and hit enter, and you will be taken there automagically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:23 am 

I have the GoG version and it works fine on Windows 7
and if you begrudge paying for it, just think, you buying it helps keep the servers paid for :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:20 am 
AdamJohnso wrote:
automagically

You sir, are awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:03 am 
Obduction Backer

I have the DVD version, the one in a package that looks like a book, running on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, and I used a patch calling itself MystV-VistaSP1-Win7 patch, but I can't remember where I got it from. Google tells me it is available from Gamefront. Also set compatibility for MystV.exe to XP (SP2) and run as admin.

In fact I have all six Myst games and several Uru variants installed and running on the one machine :) Riven was the worst. The installer is 16-bit and simply won't run at all. Solution is either use a VM or install on another machine that is running XP then move the whole installation folder across. Riven makes no modifications to the registry, it seems, or doesn't need them if it does :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:26 am 

It was one of our member by the name of "Erik" or "Erik.am" at ubi forum who solved this bug and contacted Cyan to suggest a patch (back in 2008). Inside the zip file you will find a ReadMe file with instructions.

The zip.file can be found in one of his post here...
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 069#280069

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:48 am 
Obduction Backer

Nice find Artic_Wagon

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

AdamJohnso wrote:
For the original CD/DVD release, you need to grab this patch http://cho.cyan.com/patches/Myst5InitFiles.zip

If you cannot find the folder mentioned in the readme file, type %LOCALAPPDATA% into the Windows Explorer address bar and hit enter, and you will be taken there automagically.

This worked, it's a shame it's not easier to find though. Didn't help that the main myst v site is apparently in Russian.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]