It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:51 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:02 am 

Shorah,

I have this little question in mind. I was looking at the memberlist and I saw a lot of explorers with the joined date May 9th, 2006.

There was surely something before that. Is it when the Gametap MOUL came alive that you all moved to this forum?

For me the History is (I might be wrong here, I just recollected info here and there from Ancients :lol: ):

2001 Beta-testing
2002 URU Live
2003 Aborted because of Ubisoft
2004-2006 hmm...maybe D'mala shard & Until Uru shards
2006-2008 Gametap MOUL <--- so it would fit the date of May 9th, 2006
2008-2010 dark times with an unofficial Alcugs shard that we must not named :wink:
2010-2011 MOULa
2011-present CWE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:47 am 
Obduction Backer

May 9 2006 was the date that Cyan announced (on urulive.com and drcsite.org) that they would be launching Uru Live in association with Turner/GameTap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:21 am 
Creative Kingdoms

The forums here opened on May 8, 2006. For a few minutes. The server crashed under the demand, but was brought back online the next day. That's why you'll see a few May 8th registrations and a lot of May 9th.

Before MystOnline.com, there was http://forums.DRCSite.org , an In-Cavern/Character (IC) site built for the original Uru Live in 2003 with an Out-Of-Cavern/Character (OOC) section, added in March, 2006, where RAWA was a frequent contributor to discussion. The site is now closed to posts due to heavy spamming on very old forum software. Cyan also had some forums of its own, now closed, for its various products.

The DRC forums showed a slow build to life for Myst Online: Uru Live (MOUL), beginning Dec 21, 2005, as seen on the DRC Discussions forum of that site. Those discussions lead to D'mala, announced Feb 14th, 2006, the official pre-GameTap MOUL Until Uru shard. It was a place for old and new fans to gather and attend introductory Town Hall Meetings held there by Cyan to introduce and take questions about Turner, GameTap and MOUL. D'mala was shut down shortly before MOUL went live on February 15, 2007 after beta testing and a Preview.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:26 am 

Hi all,

Sorry cant remember much from back then except i did some beta testing in December 2006 and funnily enough from reading an email from that time they were having bugs with their bugs..the fireflies in Eder Kemo.

bye all

----------------------
colon in moula

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:55 pm 

JWPlatt wrote:
The forums here opened on May 8, 2006. For a few minutes. The server crashed under the demand, but was brought back online the next day. That's why you'll see a few May 8th registrations and a lot of May 9th.

Before MystOnline.com, there was http://forums.DRCSite.org , an In-Cavern/Character (IC) site built for the original Uru Live in 2003 with an Out-Of-Cavern/Character (OOC) section, added in March, 2006, where RAWA was a frequent contributor to discussion. The site is now closed to posts due to heavy spamming on very old forum software. Cyan also had some forums of its own, now closed, for its various products.

The DRC forums showed a slow build to life for Myst Online: Uru Live (MOUL), beginning Dec 21, 2005, as seen on the DRC Discussions forum of that site. Those discussions lead to D'mala, announced Feb 14th, 2006, the official pre-GameTap MOUL Until Uru shard. It was a place for old and new fans to gather and attend introductory Town Hall Meetings held there by Cyan to introduce and take questions about Turner, GameTap and MOUL. D'mala was shut down shortly before MOUL went live on February 15, 2007 after beta testing and a Preview.

Thx JWPlatt :)

Those are some info I didn't get from other explorers who were there at the time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:27 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Annabelle wrote:
2010-2011 MOULa
2011-present CWE

Can I suggest that the arrival of open source didn't mean that MOULa disappeared? Either you should show MOULa as continuing to the present along with CWE (Open Source) arriving in 2011 and running in parallel, or change the last line to "2011-present MOULa with CWE"

But the other thing is that the original question seemed to be about the forums, but the timeline relates to the various game iterations, so I'm bit confused what you were really asking about?

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Last edited by Mac_Fife on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Mac_Fife wrote:
Annabelle wrote:
2010-2011 MOULa
2011-present CWE

Can I suggest that the arrival of open source didn't mean that MOULa disappeared? Either you should show MOULa as continuing to the present along with CWE (Open Source) arriving in 2011 and running in parallel, or change the last line to "2011-present MOULa with CWE"

I think she means her own experiences. It's not that MOULa disappeared, but that she personally stopped using it at that time in favor of a different client?

Although, that is still confusing since using a CWE client still counts as playing "MOULa", right? (I mean as long as it's on the same Cyan server.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:13 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Yeah, that's what's maybe misleading or confusing, in my reading of the post.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:33 pm 

Ehren wrote:
Mac_Fife wrote:
Annabelle wrote:
2010-2011 MOULa
2011-present CWE

I think she means her own experiences. It's not that MOULa disappeared, but that she personally stopped using it at that time in favor of a different client?

Although, that is still confusing since using a CWE client still counts as playing "MOULa", right? (I mean as long as it's on the same Cyan server.)

Well I'm a bit confused myself to be honest and I really thought that since Cyan released their stuff in open-source, there were not anymore an ownership thus making every clients a CWE client including the one released by Cyan since June 2011. Like I said, my "History" comes more from what people tells me than anything else. If I'm wrong then it's fine.

And even JWPlatt made me realised a mistake. I thought GameTap MOUL had been alive 2 years from 2006 to 2008 when it was more from 2007 to 2008 only.

My timeline is there not to confuse anyone, it was just a "reference" for me to try to locate why this forum came alive at that exact date. JWPlatt answered me perfectly explaining what was before and why it was created on March 8th, 2006, the goal of all this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:10 am 

Until Uru
Archives/samples of those old days:
1- http://forums.ubi.com/archive/index.php/t-66862.html
Third post by Eat_My_Shortz - 08-15-2004, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Until Uru was released at least a week and a half ago. If you look around the forums everyone's talking about it.

On present days ubi forums (still alive)

2- re: an old friend moderator Reverend Vader...
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/18 ... Uru-Forums

3- Oldest technical post by a fan I could find at present day on forums.ubi.com/...
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/10 ... post106539

Btw: As a moderator Alahmnat was also very active on Ubi forums

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:37 am 
Obduction Backer

I found when I registered for the Myst III Exile forum, where I lurked after Rivenguild, that the dates carried over to the Ubisoft Uru forum, as such, my 'Born on date' is July 2001.

Here is a 'recent' post on the "Do Not Tell Lies" thread:
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/34 ... ost8559009

"Laugh it up, Chuckles" -- Space Ghost to Rand Miller; MOUL KI #38615, Mulligan KI #37069, MOULa2.0 #130257

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:05 am 

Chuckles58 wrote:
I found when I registered for the Myst III Exile forum, where I lurked after Rivenguild, that the dates carried over to the Ubisoft Uru forum, as such, my 'Born on date' is July 2001.

Here is a 'recent' post on the "Do Not Tell Lies" thread:
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/34 ... ost8559009

"Do Not Tell Lies"... hmm ok I was really disturbed by the "warm welcoming" you had until I re-read the thread title a 2nd time :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

Annabelle, that thread had been a lot of fun, but I couldn't say so in the thread. I used to spend a lot of time on that forum in 2004. :lol:

"Laugh it up, Chuckles" -- Space Ghost to Rand Miller; MOUL KI #38615, Mulligan KI #37069, MOULa2.0 #130257

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:01 pm 

The days before May 9th 2006 were dark, feudalistic days of warring factions and rabid Bahro. One did not simply wander into the cavern for fear they would not return. Those days were the days of legends and lore. Where men could either become heroes or villains. Where helpless thousands disappeared into the void, most never to be seen again...

KI #12987306

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:17 am 
Obduction Backer

iirc that time period was in the D'mala era. Towards the very beginning (or beta) stages. Looking through my logs from that time, that is my best guess. There was a lot going on behind closed doors back in those days.

~Weldergeek

edit: actually it looks more like GT era.. D'mala came a few months earlier by my calculations.. Hard for me to tell based on what I've got. I can't remember my DRC forum password so no help there lol.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next