It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:02 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Armikrog
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:58 am 

Hey y'all - haven't posted in a while, but this is really important!

Armikrog is a video game made by the creative team behind The Neverhood. For those of you who don't know, The Neverhood is the other incredible adventure game that game out in the 90's (besides Myst and Riven), and one of the only video games that I consider to be as good as, if not better than, Myst.

Armikrog, while not being a sequel to The Neverhood due to licensing issues, looks like it's going to be just as amazing as The Neverhood was. They're really really close to meeting their funding goal, and the Kickstarter ends in less than 36 hours. Please, please consider pledging a few dollars to help support the creation of something rarely seen in modern video games - a really amazing adventure game.

Post subject: Re: Armikrog
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:48 am 
Obduction Backer

It appears to have reached its funding goal.
A claymation game is certainly an interesting idea - I have to say I probably wouldn't have thought of it.
It certainly does look like a lot of fun. I might buy it. Thanks for posting :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:22 pm 

I had a variant of the idea a while ago, but my concept was for a first-person game with more realist miniature environments. Not clay so much as the sort of techniques used by skilled model railroad landscape designers. I have a world built, the first one, and I have a camera set up over it to snap photos directly down into the miniature set, aimed and zoomed into a reflective sphere.

I can use Photoshop's polar coordinates unwrap to turn the reflection into a complete equirectangular panoramic node. I even have the software needed to put together the tour, and have maybe 25% of the materials needed to build my second world...

I think that handcrafted miniatures are a fascinating art form that oddly have almost never been used in interactive media. Aside from The Neverhood and now Armikrog, the visual style basically is nonexistent in games, but I am one of the indies who would like to change that.

I am working on two games using miniatures, one is Vivid Minigolf, the other is some portion of Panoramic Worlds, which... I want to have some miniatures used there too.

I figure I can piece together enough $ without Kickstarter (or similar) to get some of this done after a while.

It is a challenge but I have a strategy to pull this off, mainly it hinges on the fact that I have a steady job (part time, but long-term) now, not just a string of intermittent short term freelance gigs. That job is, I hope, key to saving up what I need so that I can get some of these side projects done later on.

Anyway, I did play the Neverhood years ago and as you can see it made a bit of an impression on me and my work. Great to see their design team working on another adventure game like it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:24 am 
Obduction Backer

Other small indie adventure games that have used hand-built miniatures:

http://www.dominiquepamplemousse.com/

http://www.lumegame.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:32 pm 

Thanks for the links, Belford. Looks like this quirky idea has spread further than I realized.

I realize that the Neverhood was kind of a notable entry in the adventure genre so it's not surprising that it influenced a range of different productions.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]