It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:16 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Interesting Game Engines
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:24 pm 

In every game there are those cheer, groan, and/or rant about their game's engine and how well it performs or not. We had a round of te ranting in SL recently and I was moved to write an article on the state of game engines.

Game Thirst did an article on the top 5 gaming engines that got me going. See: State of Game Engines

One of the more interesting game engines I bumped into is Sony Entertainments new EverQuest Next Landmark. Sony is make EQ Next a voxel based game. They have about and hour and a half of video out from their big debut event. I indexed the videos so one can jump to the parts they are interested in. See: EverQuest Next

There is more information coming out about Oculus Rift and how they are planning to add user controls beyond just head pointing. See: Oculus Rift Plus Motion Controls Make Shooting Almost Too Realistic.

I think this explains why some age builders tend to work on other gaming platforms than Myst's Plasma. While destruction is great fun for many players the game support that is designed for destructive play can be used for creative purposes too. EQ Next Landmark is looking like great fun. It is a voxel based world. Better than Minecraft or Blocksworld, but still a highly simplified building environment.

We got a number of people into building Myst like worlds and games through Second Life. Some of them are advancing into Blender. I suspect a number of Myst-Uru fans will try EQ Next Landmark too. Hopefully they will advance to more generalized tools.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:13 am 

You can do just the same using Unity if you wanted to. It's a free engine and it has spawned many awesome looking games. It has also produced the ever so popular Slender: The Eight Pages if you recall.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]