It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:13 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:19 pm 

Edit to add:

Hello.. per Mac's suggestion, here's a link to the thread I started on the Cyan boards, let's take the discussion there:

http://forums.cyan.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=71

Okay, this is just silly.. something I think about to pass the time. Two of the Myst games have songs by Peter Gabriel on the soundtracks. Myst 4 has 'Curtains', and Uru has 'Burn You Up, Burn You Down'. So I've tried to pick one Peter Gabriel song for each game, that would fit with the feeling of each of them. Here's what I have so far. Feel free to add any better suggestions:

Myst:
The Book of Love. Myst is such a simple, perfect, beautiful game.... I selected a simple, perfect, beautiful song. The suggestion of a magic book is pretty close-to-home, as well.

"The book of love is long and boring, And written very long ago. It's full of flowers and heart-shaped boxes, And things we're all too young to know."

It's also, "full of charts, and facts and figures..."

Riven:
Darkness. This song is from the point of view of someone struggling to overcome his many, many fears. Some of the lyrics put me in mind of a comment I read, I think posted in one of Ainia's threads, suggesting Gehn is so demanding and keeps such tight control over everything, because as he grew he was never in control of any aspect of his life.

"i'm afraid of what i do not know/ I hate being undermined. I'm afraid i can be [the] devil, man/and I'm scared to be divine. Don't mess with me my fuse is short/ beneath this skin these fragments caught."

Exile:
I Grieve. The lyrics of this song seem to either suggest a loved one dying, or breaking up with the singer... the sense of loss, of being divided from loved ones and grieving, seems very reminiscent of Saavedro's situation.

"i grieve for you/you leave me. So hard to move on/ still loving what's gone. They say life carries on/ carries on and on and on and on."

Conversely... Solsbury Hill might also be a stand-in for this one, having the exact opposite feeling & suggesting
[Reveal] Spoiler:
the 'good ending' of Saavedro returning home.

Revelation:
Freebie on this one, it already has 'Curtains'!

End of Ages:
Mercy Street... I was a little worried about this one, after I chose it. The first verse in particular suggests Yeesha looking out over the ruins of abandoned D'ni...

"Looking down on empty streets, all she can see/ are the dreams all made solid/are the dreams all made real. All of the buildings, all of those cars/ were once just a dream/ in somebody's head."

The song seems very reminiscent of Yeesha, her life, and the intense burden she bears.... but at the same time, it was written as a tribute to a poet named Anne Sexton, whose own life was not without some controversy. So I worry if it would be appropriate to "co-opt" this song and apply it to Yeesha.

Uru:
Of course, another freebie thanks to Zandi's boombox!

Edit to add--- I'm also gonna repost this over at Cyan's main board....

Last edited by HarveyMidnight on Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

A great list! (Do they have to be songs he wrote? He didn't write "The Book of Love", though his version is indeed lovely.)

But we could go further and choose a track for each Age... to be really obvious, Eder Gira would have to have Steam.....

Quote:
Give me steam
And how you feel to make it real
Real as any place you've been
Get a life with the dreamer's dream

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

It would be funny to have "Big Time" playing subtly in any of Sirrus' areas, with extra added irony over the "Nooooo!"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:45 am 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Can I just make a general comment here? When you're cross-posting a topic here and on the Cyan forums, you're probably better to make the full post on only one forum and have the other simply a brief description with a link to the main one. Otherwise you run the risk of splitting the discussion across forums (and maybe getting called out for spamming);)

Since this isn't specifically a MO:UL topic, it'd seem likely that the Cyan Forums are the better venue.

(You can take the man out of moderation but you can't take moderation out of the man.)

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:21 am 

Mac_Fife wrote:
Can I just make a general comment here? When you're cross-posting a topic here and on the Cyan forums, you're probably better to make the full post on only one forum and have the other simply a brief description with a link to the main one. Otherwise you run the risk of splitting the discussion across forums (and maybe getting called out for spamming);)

Since this isn't specifically a MO:UL topic, it'd seem likely that the Cyan Forums are the better venue.

(You can take the man out of moderation but you can't take moderation out of the man.)

Excellent points! I'll keep them in mind in the future. I'll go ahead & edit my original post to add the link to the Cyan board thread.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

Mac_Fife wrote:

Yep! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

hmm, do we need to repost our brilliant offerings in the other thread too? Sigh :roll: .

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]