It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:10 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:54 pm 

Great words JW.

As for me, I play a lot of the online games. All are free to play unless
you want the extras.
I visit Moula occasionally, but it doesn't satisfy me with gaming all the time.
I have my opinion about Moula, but I will keep it to myself.
Moula has been enjoyable for years to me, but I go to different games to play
because I get bored at times. What content do fans want in Moula?
Cyan is a great company that is only trying to make the fans of "Cyan" a new a fresh
gaming experience.
I plan to donate and hopefully, I will be able to add it to my very large list of games to play.

More is so much better than less or none at all.

Obduction? Bring it on!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:01 am 
Obduction Backer

Marten wrote:
When do we get vid running around in cavern, shouting "obduction!" And pointing?

It broke my heart when people started misappropriating it into "OHBjection", and it looks like it's already happening again.

I cannot save these people. They do not wish to be saved.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:52 am 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
Alien, at first I just thought you were going to sardonically complain about the title, which one could possibly construe as prejudiced against Aliens because there are so many Alien abductions going on all the time - usually in the woods or around hidden ponds where no one else is around to witness. And go figure why no one has ever come back with an artifact, but I digress. So don't be afraid, just because you are Alien doesn't mean we think you will abduct us! Some of my best friends are probably Aliens. ;)

For the rest, I think Cyan and the fans have learned the historical lesson that after two failed commercial attempts with Myst Online that nearly closed Cyan forever, it's not smart business. So it's now up to the fans to continue the legacy with MOULa. Cyan has graciously allowed us to do that. Cyan is extremely smart to keep the Obduction KickStarter focus where it belongs - on the new game - and not distract, confuse, or cause questions from potential contributors with other things that really don't have anything to do with the new game other than Cyan's history of proving the kind of gameplay framework found in Myst. It's just smart business and smart marketing. There's nothing to take personally for those who also happen to like and enjoy MOULa by promoting Obduction. A parent might understand this as cheering and supporting each of their children as individuals without comparing them against each other. Obduction's success can only help us and it is likely to renew interest of Cyan's older games - such as MOULa - among new fans when they go looking for more Cyan content.

Oh, also I donated. What a twist!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:53 am 
Obduction Backer

donated ! i know it is going to be great :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

As well as loving all things Cyan I'm also a big V fan. I'm the creator of the main facebook page for 'V The Visitors' and we have nearly 40,000 fans. I've posted the kickstarter page there and it'll be stickied for 29 days. Even if one person donates it'll be a win.

We've all waited far too long.

https://www.facebook.com/Voriginalminiseries

Regards

John

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

korovev wrote:
Marten wrote:
When do we get vid running around in cavern, shouting "obduction!" And pointing?

OHBduction meme in 3, 2...

YES! (And yes, I noticed you added it to Sohbriquet...so I favorited it. You beat me to it!)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
Obduction's success can only help us and it is likely to renew interest of Cyan's older games - such as MOULa - among new fans when they go looking for more Cyan content.

Yea Alien, wake up and smell the bacon. ;)

People have been begging for a new IP from Cyan since before I ever joined this community, and It's nice to see that Cyan's listened and is delivering.

But as far as MOULa goes, Tai'lahr said it best: Uru IS the game that will never die. No matter what Cyan does or doesn't do, it will live on, maybe even beyond our lifetimes. And frankly, if we want Cyan to live on too, then it's our duty to help them get this game made.

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

OHB wrote:
korovev wrote:
Marten wrote:

OHBduction meme in 3, 2...

YES! (And yes, I noticed you added it to Sohbriquet...so I favorited it. You beat me to it!)

Sweet!

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

Donated!

As of this morning (Friday 10/18/13) we're almost a third of the way to the goal!

Be sure to visit the site and watch Rand's video!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cyaninc/obduction

This is the most exciting news coming out ot Cyan in years! Let's all get behind them and support them as best we can!

Walt

walt: KI #00193642
walt scRIVENs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

If I could donate to the Kickstarter, I might - but not much.

Obduction looks like an interesting idea, and the concept art looks really great (particularly this one. It also feels like Cyan is going back to their roots, which I feel is a good thing, since my favorite Cyan products were Myst and Riven. Potential (if unlikely) Linux support is also a definite plus.

However, the main problem is that I'm not sold on the concept - I'm intrigued, and will follow Obduction's evolution with interest, but the whole Kickstarter description feels like a teaser. It focuses too much on Cyan's past accomplishments, the Kickstarter itself and Cyan today, and not enough on Obduction. While this certainly helps remind people that these people aren't amateurs, I'm the kind of person who tries not to judge based on reputation or past accomplishments - even if a company had an amazing and nearly-unbroken track record (Valve comes to mind for some of its titles), I wouldn't support their next title just because they're the ones making it. I'd need to be convinced the game itself holds promise, has interesting gameplay mechanics, has stupendous graphics and/or has a great plot (or some other motivator).

Unfortunately, Obduction's Kickstarter page really doesn't give much information about the game. All I know is that it has puzzles, characters, alien (in its broadest sense) worlds and a very vague plot. I have no idea what kind of puzzles these will be, or what the NPCs' purposes will be (please... no more unceasingly monologuing Yeeshas!) or even how basic gameplay will work (is it a 3D point-and-click? is it closer to realMyst? or is it something else?). If I'd seen at least a little bit of gameplay footage - even a rough demo - I would at least have an idea of the kind of experience I should expect.

And finally, since I haven't seen any gameplay footage (excluding maybe the intro part of the Kickstarter video, which might be some sort of intro sequence to the game?), I'm not sure how well Cyan is going to be able to pull this off, especially since I really don't know how big of a team they have right now and what their means are. This wouldn't be a concern with a major game studio (although I'd still be sore over not seeing any in-game footage), but knowing how precarious Cyan's situation was a few months ago, I'm not very confident in their situation right now.

To sum up, if this gets funded, I'll wait for the reviews.

On the other hand, it's worth noting that this marks a departure from Cyan's recent trend of remaking old games and making small mobile games. If only for that, I support the project, if not financially, at least in spirit. Good luck Cyan! :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Lyrositor wrote:
Unfortunately, Obduction's Kickstarter page really doesn't give much information about the game. All I know is that it has puzzles, characters, alien (in its broadest sense) worlds and a very vague plot. I have no idea what kind of puzzles these will be, or what the NPCs' purposes will be (please... no more unceasingly monologuing Yeeshas!) or even how basic gameplay will work (is it a 3D point-and-click? is it closer to realMyst? or is it something else?). If I'd seen at least a little bit of gameplay footage - even a rough demo - I would at least have an idea of the kind of experience I should expect.

Well, it does say that it will be using the Unreal Engine, so maybe if you check that out, it will give a sense of the gameplay style. Looks pretty awesome and exciting to me. As for anything else, since much of the point of this type of game is the exploring aspect, I don't see how they can tell us much more without spoiling the experience of discovering things for ourselves. To me, it's like a gift in a wrapped box and I don't want anyone to tell me what's inside; I want to unwrap it and see for myself. I want the Myst-type experience of landing in a strange place, not knowing where I am or why I'm there and just wander around and figure it all out for myself. This is what Rand is promising in the video.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm taking "real-time, first-person" to mean RealMyst-style, perhaps with an option for node-based navigation a la Myst 5. That's been successful for them in the past.

But yes, Cyan is clearly going with the no-spoilers approach. It'll work or it won't.

It may be that they're saving some details for a second burst of KS publicity. But then, maybe not. (I certainly don't know, and I don't need any more details to put down my money.)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:11 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

This is great, JWPLatt, but it is not being updated in real time ... :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:40 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Kicktraq seems to update every hour or so.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next