It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:33 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

As of TODAY there are sixty days remaining of Microsoft support for the Windows XP operating system. From April 8, 2014 onward, you will no longer receive any security updates from Microsoft for your operating system. This means that you will be a sitting duck for malicious users, botnets, viruses, etc. that wish to gain access to your machine for nefarious purposes, such as hacking the Pentagon and launching a DDOS attack at the FBI.

A quick google search for ways to migrate from Windows XP reveals several useful articles on the subject. This one looks pretty good at a glance. For those of you worried about Windows 8, 8.1 mitigates some of the most onerous changes, and 8.1 update 1 (enough 1s for you?) slated for April 2014 appears to make things even more appealing.

Whatever you chose to do, remaining on Windows XP is absolutely not an option. It's time to get cracking.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:24 pm 

Adopting 8.1 is not as hard as adopting 8.

I found out how to start directly on my desktop the other day so I don't have to suffer their painful "Metro" screen anymore (I know it's not "Metro" anymore but I'm sticking with that name...)

I just need to know how to open a PDF file without being lost in front of my screen :lol: and "everything" should be ok

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:28 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Technically, some "support" will continue until July 2015, but that is of a very limited nature. Microsoft chose to extend the lifetime for provision of malware signatures, etc., due to some pushback from the number of industrial users of XP - Windows XP was/is embedded in a lot of factory automation equipment and high end instruments like storage oscilloscopes and spectrum analysers and those simply don't get replaced at the drop of a hat.

For home users, it means that Microsoft Security Essentials is pretty much all that will be updated.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

Do not be mislead: no support for Windows XP itself will be available after April 8th. Relying solely on an antivirus is like trying to plug a leak in the hull of a ship with a "Genuine Windows" sticker.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:30 am 

I imagine eventually anti-virus software will drop support for it as well. Do we know weather it will activate after that date?

I forgot to return to the thread.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:12 am 

I'm surprise Leo hasn't dropped by to make a comment about his dislike for Windows 8...
...Oh, wait. I forgot. He's still missing, isn't he? :wink:

(Note: This does not mean he ever said he likes Windows XP, either....)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:44 pm 

Windows 8 isn't the only option you could run Windows 7.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:45 pm 

IMO sticking with XP is a poor choice if your hardware will support Win 7. Almost everything I wanted or needed to run worked on Win 7 (with the exception of the original realMYST). The downside is there is no way to upgrade directly from XP to win 7... you must do a clean Win 7 install and reinstall all your apps. I believe you can upgrade XP to Vista and Vista to win 7 but that takes a exceptional amount of time to pull off.

Win8 run like Win 7 but with an interface I resisted because I prefer the classic desktop. Win 8.1 change a number of things under the hood that caused me some grief but I am slowly getting used to having to run both windows update and the app update through the store. Annoying at best. I run a classic shell app for my desktop on 8.1 so I can still navigate around and find things.

I would switch to Linux if it had the apps and games I want to run.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:44 am 

I'm on XP, and I'm staying on XP as there is NO budget for a new OS atm.

Use Firefox and then all the Microsoft updates in the world are irrelevant.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:50 pm 

You would be safer switching too the legally free Linux then sticking with XP. Behind the screen the following cycler process occurs with any modern OS(Linux and Mac OS X included):

1. The bad guys come up with a way to do something nasty to your computer
2. The good guys come up with a way to prevent the nasty thing to occur(a patch or update)
3. Step 1 repeats.

So without step 2 occurring your left with the bad guys succeeding in doing nasty things to your computer.

The cycle only ends once a product becomes too old to care about(i.e. Windows Me and possible 2000)

I hope this makes things more clear.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

Aww. I guess my husband will just have to start using my laptop to check his email and browse Kijiji. I dont think his computer would handle a newer OS, so I'll just have to snip the internet umbilical to his machine haha. He can still play Sim Safari and Age of Empires without the internet haha

MOULa 2.0 KI - 01544785

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

What happens to all your applications when you upgrade? Do you save it or is it already there on the new one? Like all your games?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:52 pm 

I think it depends on what you upgrade too, I don't think there a direct upgrade to Windows 7 so you will "lose" everything(make sure you back it up). If you upgrade to Vista and then Windows 7 you should be able to keep everything. I should note that some programs won't work in Windows 7, this program will tell you if you have any installed:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/wind ... de-advisor

If you do you have to figure out what to do to resolve the issue(upgrade, keep XP just for the software, do without, etc)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:18 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Deck 15 wrote:
Use Firefox and then all the Microsoft updates in the world are irrelevant.
If browser exploits were the only thing to worry about that'd be a fair stance. But it's not browser support that Microsoft are pulling (although IE8 support probably dies along with XP support) it's support and updates for the OS itself, and a lot of the nasty stuff grabs hold of hooks in the OS irrespective of the browser - malicious code could enter via USB sticks, downloaded files, etc.

However, I do appreciate that changing an OS (legitimately) is not cheap and rarely trouble-free, and some people just can't change. You just have to do the best you can with up-to-date Anti-Virus solutions and a degree of care in what sites you visit, but even careful people can get caught out.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

To all those considering buying a new computer right now: if you don't need the extra power, or you're short on funds, don't bother. Linux is free and works perfectly - I use it on a daily basis, as do several of my non-technically inclined friends. You just burn the OS image to a CD/USB stick, reboot your computer, and click install. Bam. Enjoy a lifetime of free updates and the power of open source.

There are several variations of Linux (called distributions). The most popular one (and a good choice if you're just getting into Linux) is currently Linux Mint.

And for those of you wondering if it will run Uru, the answer is yes. I run it myself - it works especially well with the H'uru client.