It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:59 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

AdamJohnso wrote:
gog.com Riven works on Windows 8.1 64-bit

And also on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit along with the recommended options of Artic_Wagon, but you may be right, Jamie, first I'd also try everything with what I have ... :D

Jamie Marchant wrote:
This is useful but I think a lot of people would rather not have to rebuy software when they upgrade they OS.

I'd like to add though, Jamie, don't underestimate real Myst/Riven/Uru nerds and obsesseds lol, you cannot imagine, or maybe you can, how many versions of Myst, Riven and Uru plus the rest of the Myst series (not to speak of soundtracks in all variations, artifacts etc. etc.) they have on their shelves and computers etc. just for the sake of having it all etc. ( ..... fill in the blanks) ... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:57 pm 

The tip about having to change the settings on the display itself, through the on-screen controls, turned out to be the key. Riven works just fine from Steam, when I set the display to 4:3.

Still... I miss the CRT colors. It's nice, though, to be able to wander around in Riven again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:19 pm 

Hmm... you can sometimes get better colours by ajusting settings on the monitor or through the video card.

I forgot to return to the thread.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:54 pm 

It should be noted that I have made a small change in one earlier post...
viewtopic.php?p=406813#p406813

QT version change from QT 4.1 to QT 4.1.2

It was wstrohm at Ubi forums who did all the hard work.

Quote:
Investigations by wstrohm at Ubi forums
On the HP Pavilion DV-6 laptop computer running Windows 7:

Playing Myst Masterpiece Edition (10th Anniversary DVD): Works ONLY when QuickTime version 4.1.2 is installed, and "Disable Visual Themes" is checked.

Playing Riven (10th Anniversary DVD): Works ONLY when QuickTime version 4.1.2 is installed, and "Disable Visual Themes" is checked.

By "works" I mean that all the videos and audio work AND the Save and Save As functions also work; no glitches. We tried a mind-boggling number of other combinations without much luck.
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/65 ... ost8157725

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ok off topic a bit...maybe most of the most recent posts (about Riven) should be directed to the Cyan Forum itself? This thread was about migrating XP into something else and I was sucked into the same hole..lol

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:36 am 

Charura wrote:
Ok off topic a bit...maybe most of the most recent posts (about Riven) should be directed to the Cyan Forum itself? This thread was about migrating XP into something else and I was sucked into the same hole..lol

See what Cyanhelpdesk posted on the Steamgames forums about Windows 7 :!:
http://forums.steamgames.com/forums/sho ... ostcount=9

Quote from a paragraph at bottom of their post...
Quote:
If you are having trouble getting Myst Masterpiece Edition to run... and you are not using Windows 7, please submit a ticket at our support site located at http://support.cyanworlds.com Please be sure to include an updated DXDIAG when you log a ticket (or else we will just have to ask you for one.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:54 am 

So with no one useing XP that would mean the game will only run on one OS.

I forgot to return to the thread.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:58 am 
Obduction Backer

I have Win7 64 bit Home Edition and I have all the games from Myst Masterpiece Edition to End of Ages running, using the original media to perform the installations.

Riven is the hardest: the game works fine but the installer will not run. Following a search of the Internet, I performed a clean installation on an XP machine, copied whole "Riven" folder to Program Files (X86) on the Win 7 machine, then copied the three essential Quicktime 2 files (CMGR32.DLL, DHIO32.QTC and QTIM32.DLL) into the Riven folder. This allows you to have another Quicktime version installed but still uses the local QT2 dll's in preference. Riven is running native, not in compatibilty mode.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:50 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Interesting sidenote to this topic - It looks like it's possible (at a corporate/enterprise level at least) to pay Microsoft for "extended support" for XP for a further three years: From this Reuters item, if you live in the US or UK it looks like a 2-in-3 probability that your friendly neighbourhood ATM will still be running Windows XP after April 8 - http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/03/1 ... 5C20140314

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

Wow..And here I was just worried about my puter at home.../me cancels all ATM cards

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Not sure if I should even post this here but you all are amazing with your knowledge...I have, as you know, partitioned my computer to XP and 7...everything has been migrated flawlessly except I'm able to use my headphones/microphone in XP but when I switch to 7 ...I can only use the microphone...I've tried all the settings in 7 but I see no headphone settings only microphone...any ideas?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:00 am 

Charura wrote:
Not sure if I should even post this here but you all are amazing with your knowledge...I have, as you know, partitioned my computer to XP and 7...everything has been migrated flawlessly except I'm able to use my headphones/microphone in XP but when I switch to 7 ...I can only use the microphone...I've tried all the settings in 7 but I see no headphone settings only microphone...any ideas?

First pass:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qUCqJFgA7c

It would help, maybe, if you told us the make and model of your mike/micro headset, kind of connectors USB or RCA connectors or any other kind.

Have you tried the maker's technical support site or a Google search ?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

Arctic_Wagon wrote:
First pass:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qUCqJFgA7c

It would help, maybe, if you told us the make and model of your mike/micro headset, kind of connectors USB or RCA connectors or any other kind.

Have you tried the maker's technical support site or a Google search ?

Thank you for pointing me to the youtube video, however that didn't help.

I have a Logitech headset (do not know the model) plugged into the 3.5mm jacks on the front of the computer tower (grn - speakers + pink - mic). My regular computer speakers are plugged into the 3.5mm jack (grn) on the back of the tower. The computer speakers and the headphone speakers are both audible (at the same time) and the microphone works in Windows XP. In Windows 7, the computer speakers work but the headset speakers do not, however, the microphone works and is heard through the computer speakers. When I un-plug the computer speakers on the back (grn) and plug the headset (grn + pink) in the back the headset speakers work but the microphone does not.

By the way, I can use the volume control on the computer speakers to turn down the volume on those when I am using the headset in XP and it does not affect the headset speaker volume.

It's not a live or die thing, just thought it was weird that it works fine in XP the way it is plugged in and yet when I restart in Win 7 it does not.

Any other ideas? Or should I just live with it?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:28 am 

@ Charura
Do you know how many possible Logitech headset models are available ?

Check the next link and try to find yours (image).
http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/support/i ... ets-phones

If you can find it, click the image and look for the product manual somewhere in the model headset's page. Its not always at the same spot for all models so you might have to look the full page.

If ever you do find yours, go and search on Google for Logitech model so&so / how to connect on windows 7. I beleive it is a matter of "tweeking Win 7" for your headset

Btw I am not an expert on headset + a mic. :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:17 am 
Obduction Backer

TY Arctic_Wagon

I did find the model number H110

There is no product manual available and the only support they (Logitech) offer is for Windows 8...I looked around a bit on the Internet (Google) but it seems all the answers brings me back to my problem...So...I will consider this a dead tuna...and, as I stated in my previous post, it is not a life or death issue....Thank you for your diligence (careful and persistent work and effort) in trying to help me...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next