It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:15 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:31 am 

I have left for greener pastures and obduction... I have given up hope that Cyan/Fans will want to stick around to MOULa after Obduction comes out... until then I am going to stay here in support capacity.. watching the world burn...

-SamD, Samuel D, Josh Allen, Sleepy Sam,

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:44 am 
Obduction Backer

Happy further explorations ... :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:31 am 

Hi Sam,

I hope you are happy with whatever you do.
You are still welcome in the Guild Of Sleepers even if you aren't in MOULa any more.

Alien

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:34 am 
Obduction Backer

Never met you but, bye.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
samd wrote:
I have left for greener pastures and obduction... I have given up hope that Cyan/Fans will want to stick around to MOULa after Obduction comes out... until then I am going to stay here in support capacity.. watching the world burn...

-SamD, Samuel D, Josh Allen, Sleepy Sam,

I wouldn't say the world is burning. Stagnating, yes, but not burning.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Sam, you're not the first person to feel this way. Many of us have gone through the same thing. We tend to fall in love with Uru, become emotionally invested in it, and dream big dreams for it. When reality sets in and our ideas for what should happen don't seem to be happening, we become discouraged. We just want to shake everyone and say, "wake up, get moving; let's fix this place up!" and make a post to get their attention.

The thing to keep in mind is that changes do come to Uru, just very slowly. There are many, many people working on things for Uru, but the community is very large and spread out, so much of it is out of sight for those who don't venture past MOULa or this forum. It is happening, but those working on it are explorers just like us (only more talented), meaning they don't get paid, so the time they can devote to this work may be limited by real life responsibilities.

And, after all the work they've already done, I doubt they'll set it all aside when Obduction comes out. The world isn't burning, but the community does catch fire every now and then, and great things happen. :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

Watch the world burn
It sets Ae’gura on fire
Watch the world burn
We are Veovis!

But seriously, a community whose various members are producing, in no particular order, DIRT: Uru Live, Starry Expanse, Seltani, the Heritage Nights, SAND, RoonSehv, Sevkor, The Lost Art, and have about a dozen Fan Ages in the works... I wouldn’t call it stagnating.
Uru/Myst is, in its kernel, an exercise in patience.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:38 pm 

No one knows what people will do in the future. Obduction is likely to have some players spending time in Obduction that they might have spent in Uru. So, while we can almost be certain time will be taken from Uru, we can’t know how much or for how long. But, people will argue the quantities and nature of these changes. But, only time will provide the answers.

The age builders are another matter. We can’t know what each of them will choose to do. Some have invested considerable time learning to use Blender/3DS/Maya to build ages. It takes some effort to figure out the age building process. Some number of those builders will stay with Uru because that is what they know.

Others will see the Obduction world built in the newer game engine Unreal 4 and likely notice the large audience of people using Unreal, that means lots of support and help from others figuring out how to do things with a new and popular game engine. They will move on. They will like the better graphics, performance, and current tutorials for an advancing technology. They will abandon the stagnant Plasma game engine Uru is built on. But, don’t think that means they will all abandon Uru.

There are those that are currently moving Uru into Unreal, Unity, and other game engines. That is technically illegal. Cyan has said no other platforms for Uru. But, historically when the community moves there is no way to control it. It would take too many lawsuits with, I think, a very probable chance of being unable to collect enough in damages to pay the legal fees. In such cases Cyan has, in the majority of cases, decided to do something else to protect their IP rights, like start licensing it for those platforms. I would guess that will happen again. What will happen is unpredictable. But, people make their suppositions and act accordingly.

We can’t know what the overall affect is going to be. Nor can we know the long term effect. People may come to Uru from Obduction. Plus, Cyan my surprise us and do something more with MOULa. They have done that before too.

In the mean time, some hang out with their Uru/Myst made friends in; Guild Wars, WOW, Second Life, THERE, and other places.

We have seen people rage quit, play games, rant, cry, beg… and more with most of the reason for their rant or whatever based on Cyan or the community not meeting their expectations or things going as they wish. Then they are on about leaving. In some cases it is something we have seen a person do multiple times. So, it just sort of: Again!?!

Those fans that have been around since early on, seldom bother to comment on the ‘I’m quitting because… - Uru is dying, bye’ type posts now. Uru and many of us are still here. And we may be for a number of years more. But, I suspect most of us don’t really know. We’ll deal with the future as it arrives.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Nalates wrote:
People may come to Uru from Obduction.
A lot of people found out about MOULa through the Obduction Kickstarter and signed up. Also, the Uru Community in SL is as strong as ever and people often learn about MOULa through the members there.

Nalates wrote:
Those fans that have been around since early on, seldom bother to comment on the ‘I’m quitting because… - Uru is dying, bye’ type posts now.
Yeah, I ignored it for awhile, but I couldn't let TOOO's "stagnating" comment go unchallenged. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

korovev wrote:
Uru/Myst is, in its kernel, an exercise in patience.

To quote a D'ni proverb...
A D'ni once wrote:
The rock-cutter is patient.

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:54 pm 

Tai'lahr wrote:
The thing to keep in mind is that changes do come to Uru, just very slowly. There are many, many people working on things for Uru, but the community is very large and spread out, so much of it is out of sight for those who don't venture past MOULa or this forum. It is happening, but those working on it are explorers just like us (only more talented), meaning they don't get paid, so the time they can devote to this work may be limited by real life responsibilities.

And, after all the work they've already done, I doubt they'll set it all aside when Obduction comes out. The world isn't burning, but the community does catch fire every now and then, and great things happen. :D

I was keeping my 1000th post for something more grandiose...but ah well... Tai'lahr just nailed everything I am. "am" as being in this community.

I'm seldomly seen online.
I might be twice more active on forum boards of this community (MOULa, GoW, Mystpédia, and a few others).
For me, MOULa isn't URU, it's just a version of it. I'm a fan of URU, which includes MOULa but my interests goes beyond (let me say very far beyond MOULa).
I devoted, am devoting, & surely will devote countless hours on URU-related projects on a voluntary-base, my pay is people enjoying my works. All this on spare hours since I don't own a goose that can lay golden eggs in my backyard so I have to earn my livings.
I usually publish my stuff once in a while and it's usually a huge release. So yes...if someone looks at my works they might think, oh she is out of the circuit...but am I really? :wink:

And when Obduction will come out, I'll be thrilled, I'll play it throughout but... I won't do much after that...

Will Obduction be a 3rd pers mode game? No
Will Obduction rely heavily on puzzles? Yes
Will Obduction be a freedom-of-movements-based game? No

Every aspects of it goes against my view of what a perfect game is...

I only contributed the minimum price to have a digital copy. I don't want the box, or the artworks associated with it. Give me the game, I'll play through, I will surely love it but then..., I'll just come back to my passion: URU.

It will only do just like Myst. I'm not sure I still have the CDs/DVDs... Last time I played the series it was in 2011 I think...

We celebrated the 4th Anniversary of MOULa recently and I can say the Cavern is still moving, there are many projects, many new faces, many old faces coming back from time to time to say: "Hey! I'm still working on some new stuff...", many events, many novelties that wouldn't have been imaginable few years ago.

There is even a new shard that is coming up real soon. New fan ages are in work in progress mode also.

Viewing reality with positive lenses:

If I pour water in a glass and I stop at mid-height. Are you gonna say to me: "The glass is half empty or the glass is half full!"?

If you really want to quit then do so. But keep in mind that a lot of explorers still see the glass has being half full :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:39 pm 

My relationship to the Cavern is distant, but still surprisingly strong. I no longer have the hope for a continuation of the D'ni story that I had in 2005 and 2006. At that time I was doing events to keep people interested, so that Cyan's people would know there was still interest and eventually continue the story.

Now I've moved almost completely to Second Life. I don't really like SL in the way I like Uru, but it is simply a better place for events. We're getting ready to do the Silk Road Journey there, and it's quite wonderful to see how the event venue and props are being made and assembled by the people who know how to do them.

My roots, however, are in the Cavern. Props are nice, but for years we've done events for which the only props were words on a screen evoking an image of things otherwise unseen. That imagination is essential, and every playlist I put together now, even if it has no obvious connection with Uru, still has some Cavern ethos built in.

An event organizer/presenter goes nowhere without an audience. The Uru audience is enthusiastic and imaginative, and supports many kinds of expressions. I did my first Music Night in June of 2005 and it could have stopped right there. The people who attended that 6-hour evening were receptive and encouraging, and I'm still making playlists. QED.

Long live imagination. Long live the Cavern.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:50 pm 

No doubt, I think, that Obduction will be a great distraction once it is released. But following that, it seems to me that the new game will have a positive effect on MOULa in two ways.

Firstly, the release will derive a lot of discussion, both on the game and debate on possible solutions to puzzles.
Where will players go to chat on these subjects?
MOULa and the forums I believe and I would presume Obduction discussion evenings will evolve in the Obduction hood to swap information in the game. Perhaps on a limited area of the game on each occasion, not to give too much away.

Secondly, once the game has been out for some time and considering the Myst games sold in their millions, I can foresee a jump in the number of new players in the cavern wanting to experience a live URU game.
We just need to make them feel welcome and point them to the enduring social elements of the cavern, such as the story, tours, talks, parties and games, but also activities related to the shards.

I think that the people involved in the social aspect and shards rarely receive the thanks they deserve and this post has done something to address that.

You all have my deepest appreciation.

Like others, I don't think I ever met you Sam, but I am sorry to see you substantially leave and hope you will return in the future; maybe you will be missing something.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:43 pm 

DaH wrote:
No doubt, I think, that Obduction will be a great distraction once it is released.
But following that, it seems to me that the new game will have a positive effect on
MOULa in two ways. / ... / I can foresee a jump in the number of new players in the
cavern wanting to experience a live URU game. We just need to make them feel
welcome and point them to the enduring social elements of the cavern, such as the
story, tours, talks, parties and games, but also activities related to the shards

Good luck with that, pal! I already decided to leave MOULa long before arranging the
Open Hood Day April 24th. That event was to show the history, diversity and potential
of the community. Regardless the result [and I think it did some good but the feed-back
has been close to zero], I'd be gone fishing...

Quote:
I think that the people involved in the social aspect and shards rarely receive the
thanks they deserve and this post has done something to address that. You all
have my deepest appreciation.

Agreed on all of that. But the funny thing is... the Shards don't seem to attract that
much of "disturbing individuals" as MOULa does. Foul mouths, Attention Seekers and
Griefers always need an audience. In MOULa they'll always find one.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:31 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
Tai'lahr wrote:
Nalates wrote:
Those fans that have been around since early on, seldom bother to comment on the ‘I’m quitting because… - Uru is dying, bye’ type posts now.
Yeah, I ignored it for awhile, but I couldn't let TOOO's "stagnating" comment go unchallenged. :wink:

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying, here. The community is doing just fine. (It's amazing how a game that few have ever heard of - mostly because Cyan refuses to advertise, hint hint - can spawn so many websites!)

The game, however, hasn't had any new content since 2007! Yes, I know there's always talk about player-created content, but that exists solely on the Shards.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Last edited by TOOO on Tue May 06, 2014 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next