It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:26 am 
Obduction Backer

TOOO wrote:
The game, however, hasn't had any new content since 2007! Yes, I know there's always talk about player-created content, but that exists solely on the Shards.

The grass is neon pink year-round, with the unfortunate exception of the seven days of each week when it is green.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:29 am 

TOOO wrote:
The game, however, hasn't had any new content since 2007! Yes, I know there's always talk about player-created content, but that exists solely on the Shards.

There have been many improvements to MOULa since 2007 mostly (if not only) pushed by players of the game.

MOUL (2007) doesn't equal MOULa (2014).

If you want to stick to your sentence, make sure to define more explicitly the word "content". Taking in the general sense (like you are using it in your actual sentence), "content" encompasses everything that have been brought to MOULa since 2007...

Some examples... Window-friendly mode, avatar motion, copy-paste, plClient, skydiving client, etc.

The list is very long in fact. Each new update brings something new...

I do remember being pestered in my Relto looking at my fireworks island and wondering when that darn 12th sparkly (Minkata) would be available... but that "content" might not count in your mind... :wink: :lol:

---------------

Oh and your reference to "the Shards"... the whole MOULa versus the shards is very funny because

MOULa is a shard.

Despite what I wrote previously in my 1000th post (see previous post on this thread) (my comparison MOULa vs URU:CC stands on an another level: physics engine), URU forms a whole. If most explorers would dare to explore those said "Shards" they would maybe be more enticed to stay around and maybe contribute more. Cyan made it quite clear: the game was in the hand of the explorers (with some constraints) when they resurrected MOUL in 2010 from the ashes they left it in 2008.

MOULa improved already & can still be improved and all this comes mostly from "Shards" first. Cyan won't brought new content directly in MOULa. They bring new content that must transit by other shards first and that are up to MOULa's standards.

MOULa is not superior to other shards but very different in the sense that it's the official shard and has a heavy traffic which is not often the case of the other shards and it has to stay cannon. If a fan creates a giant hamster wheel age, that might be creative and fun to visit, but it has no place on MOULa.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:32 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Excellent post, Annabelle, and a belated congratulations on your 1000th post! :D

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:36 am 
Obduction Backer

Amen, Annabelle, in all points ... It is all one, all interconnected and interdependent ... Many kudos to all who contributed and those who are still contributing to it all so that it still can be explored and enjoyed in so many different and manifold ways ... :D

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
I know the difference between a reply and nit-picking. There certainly have been bug-fixes, but that's merely an improvement on old content.

And as for your Shard comment: you're nit-picking there, too. You know exactly what I meant.

So, why, you ask, do I stay? Because I still believe there's hope for the future of Uru. I stay because we do have such a great community. But there's no point in kidding ourselves. We're still waiting for new Ages to explore (as opposed to glitch-climbing, which - IMO - tends to defeat what Cyan had in mind).

Believe me, I want Uru to move forward. But, the first step towards solving a problem is to admit that it exists.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think its generalizing to say we've had no new content since 2007. We've had a significant amount of Ages released for Uru CC. We've had new Ages/Areas added to the Gehn Shard (honestly I'm unaware as to the other shards as I only play the offline version of Uru).

If you are referring to the Cyan shard, then yes there as been no new content in regards to new explorable Ages (plenty of content that is more behind the scenes). But that isn't to say Uru is stagnating, if anything it would be that Cyan's shard is stagnating. However we've know what the state with Cyan and their shard has been since the get go so it isn't too surprising that things haven't made it on their shard yet.

With shards like Gehn the process is "simple" (I use that term lightly mind you). It's a fan shard in pretty much every sense of the word. It's ran by, coded by, updated and built on by fans. So when one of us builds a new Age adding it to Gehn is "simple". And by simple I mean not really that simple. If the new Age has been built in Blender the Age then has to be converted, collision values (all the areas you stand on) need to be reapplied, any other texture glitches, lighting or scripting problems that arise during the conversion need to be fixed before exporting to a MOULA format. Then the Age needs to be tested to see if it works well and there are no problems before being added to Gehn.

With Cyan's shard you get all that (plus with more stringent testing) add to that the Ages that will need to adhere to the aesthetics of Uru and the lore. Plus Cyan being a company means you have to work out an agreement for them to use their content so they are protected from any legal issues down the road.

All of this with minimal staff with a company trying to get back up on its feet. MOULA isn't really a priority as such, they are a business and staying in business is a priority.

So in the sense of what you're saying, I disagree that Uru is stagnate, it could be argued that Cyan's shard is however :)

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
When you explain it all that way, Tweek, it reminds me that we have much more than we ever should have expected and should count our blessings.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:14 am 

Thank you Tai'lahr & Janaba for your sensitive words :mrgreen:

Thanks to Tweek who re-explained quite precisely why Cyan is not an active player anymore, they are active YES: in maintaining the server alive, but they are mainly inactive in the sense that Tweek explained.

I just have 2 small reserves on this sentence...

TOOO wrote:
We're still waiting for new Ages to explore (as opposed to glitch-climbing, which - IMO - tends to defeat what Cyan had in mind).

Believe me, I want Uru to move forward. But, the first step towards solving a problem is to admit that it exists.

SKYDIVING is the activity I'm doing. Whether you like it or not!

New Ages to explore...

You might not talk about the same game as all of us...You're surely not talking about URU, aren't you?
I'm saying that, mind my naïvety here... just thinking of the 130 something new ages that have been brought to the community since 2007...what a silly question of mine...And you are surely aware that a new age will be online on the next Gehn shard update. Yes you are surely aware of this... since Gehn is URU just as MOULa, Minkata, URU:CC, TOC MOUL, Deep Island (mind me on this one Korov'ev :wink: :lol: ), etc...

Edit: corrected post for some errors

Last edited by Annabelle on Fri May 09, 2014 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
Believe it or not, we actually agree on things, but by wording it differently, it sounds like we're in opposition.

What, exactly, is the difference between glitch-riding and "Skydiving"? Besides semantics, I mean.

Tweek said - in more words than I would've used - that indeed, MOULa is stagnating. That's what I've been saying all along. Perhaps I should've said that new content exists solely on the Other Shards, although I may have made the mistake of thinking you didn't realize I was using the term Shards in the common usage.

Again, outside of semantics, we do agree.

With that out of the way, what do we do to keep from losing players, such as Sam?

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

TOOO wrote:
...what do we do to keep from losing players, such as Sam?
Since Sam hasn't given us a clear reason why he's "leaving for greener pastures" other than somehow blaming a game that won't arrive for perhaps another eighteen months (Obduction), since Sam states both that he's leaving and that he's "going to stay here...", and since there's no indication that Sam has actually read ANY of the two pages of commentary that his vague message has engendered....

I don't know what to do for players such as Sam.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:28 pm 

You talk only of new ages.
But Uru is not only the discovery of new ages. it is also, and first of all, trying to solve puzzles.
This is , in my opinion, the main attraction of this game

In this context, several explorers have developed games in the cave , as it currently exists since reopening the cave.
It is puzzle games (I think Mouski ) games markers, markers races through skydiving (Thanks Annabelle ) . Now , we are a few rogrammers to develop visual effects in the cave with the Open Source.

As for me, for two years , I develop interactive games with the Magic Bot and Mimi . 21 new ways to rediscover the cave and have fun in the company of robots (play soccer in Minkata or Water Polo in Ahnonay, or 3D Master Mind and glass structures in Jalak, interactive Magicgames in many ages...) !

For six months , I develop the Fabulous Magic Treasure ( FMT ) . This game is made in the spirit of Uru : solve puzzles , find markers, help each other - all of that on the Shard Moula . It has many participants ( More than 70 today, of any nationality ) who play every day (not on the same time :lol).
This demonstrates that what is important is the game and not just the form, where it takes place.

So do not say that nothing has changed in the cave since 2007!
Moula has no new ages to explore, it's true, but the adventure continues on the official site, with the support of Cyan and thanks to the fact that it gave fans the means to develop through the Open source.

Want to see a new age in Moula? Do it, but do it as well as those that already exist.

Criticism is easy. Talk, talk is easy. Take Action! Create and then you can criticize!

No, Moula is not inert ! Moula is alive and will remain as long as the game lovers as us want it lives.
Moula will be what you want it will be !

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:40 pm 

TOOO wrote:
With that out of the way, what do we do to keep from losing players, such as Sam?

I have no idea... on this question :(

We have been loosing people since Day 2 in fact... I would say that the most optimistic, the most ingenious people stick around and the ones that see the glass half empty just get bored and leave the community in apathy. But as we can see by the optimism of the people on this thread, the game is still well alive! :)

BTW (nothing to do with you TOOO)... I forgot... yesterday I told about a new age, in fact there's another one coming up as well, one created by Jhon J. Jaguar. Info for both ages can be read on GoW's forum board.

I think I've said all I had in mind about this subject, I'll keep an eye on the thread if someone brings something new to the table.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:49 am 
Obduction Backer

Mister Magic wrote:
You talk only of new ages.
But Uru is not only the discovery of new ages. it is also, and first of all, trying to solve puzzles.
This is , in my opinion, the main attraction of this game

In this context, several explorers have developed games in the cave , as it currently exists since reopening the cave.
It is puzzle games (I think Mouski ) games markers, markers races through skydiving (Thanks Annabelle ) . Now , we are a few rogrammers to develop visual effects in the cave with the Open Source.

As for me, for two years , I develop interactive games with the Magic Bot and Mimi . 21 new ways to rediscover the cave and have fun in the company of robots (play soccer in Minkata or Water Polo in Ahnonay, or 3D Master Mind and glass structures in Jalak, interactive Magicgames in many ages...) !

For six months , I develop the Fabulous Magic Treasure ( FMT ) . This game is made in the spirit of Uru : solve puzzles , find markers, help each other - all of that on the Shard Moula . It has many participants ( More than 70 today, of any nationality ) who play every day (not on the same time :lol).
This demonstrates that what is important is the game and not just the form, where it takes place.

So do not say that nothing has changed in the cave since 2007!
Moula has no new ages to explore, it's true, but the adventure continues on the official site, with the support of Cyan and thanks to the fact that it gave fans the means to develop through the Open source.

Want to see a new age in Moula? Do it, but do it as well as those that already exist.

Criticism is easy. Talk, talk is easy. Take Action! Create and then you can criticize!

No, Moula is not inert ! Moula is alive and will remain as long as the game lovers as us want it lives.
Moula will be what you want it will be !

I agree that the Bots and the Magic Ages have been very useful, and I thank you for all the efforts put into it. Now, how do we make sure that new players know about this?

I think I may have mentioned this before, but I would like to see some kind of "bulletin board" in Ae'gura, probably in Tokotah Square, so that new players will know about these resources, as well as any upcoming events. (Sure, they could scour the forums looking for this information, but would they be willing to do so?)

The only drawback is: who would maintain it? I wouldn't want to see it turned into a "graffiti board", where just anyone could post just anything, but at the same time, how would information get posted? Could Cyan maintain it? Would the GoMe be interested?

Just a thought.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:40 pm 

TOOO wrote:
I think I may have mentioned this before, but I would like to see some kind of "bulletin board" in Ae'gura, probably in Tokotah Square, so that new players will know about these resources...

After the D'mala shard opened, we had similar problems. What we did then, a series of informative KI-mail files that got sent around, might still work now. There were an events list, and a list of emotes and how to trigger them, a list of marker games and some others. This system worked pretty well, but was fragile as editing affected more than the one copy being edited. It was best if someone kept an off-line copy to replace damaged ones.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:02 pm 

Quote:
After the D'mala shard opened, we had similar problems. What we did then, a series of informative KI-mail files that got sent around, might still work now. There were an events list, and a list of emotes and how to trigger them, a list of marker games and some others. This system worked pretty well, but was fragile as editing affected more than the one copy being edited. It was best if someone kept an off-line copy to replace damaged ones.

I created for each magic age a help note.
This note is always maintained in its original state in my PC and sent to each player requesting the notes directly from my PC. Thus, there is no risk that these notes are corrupted by other players. It's really easy to do with an internal client .

Plus, my robots send a breaking news message to all his friends every 3 hours . Initially, this information message was sent to all connected players in the cave.
But some said it was a spam so I preferred to limit this information in live only to buds of the bots.

But if it had to be done again to inform of an important event , so it would be very easy for me to send a message to all players in the cave.
This might well be that Too asked earlier: how to inform new players there are robots in the cave or to recall an important event as the meeting of guilds each month.
It just requires that you allow me to do so.

About a news bulletin.
It's possible to do this immediately: Give me a text, each week named, for exemple "What's new in the cave". I'll put it in my bots and when a player PM the bot : "NEWS", he will receive that News note directly in his KI. it's really very easy to do , and a real pleasure for me to do it. :D

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next