It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:46 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:08 am 

Tai'lahr wrote:
Alien wrote:
I have a very strong opinion about people who support MOULa* but stay in Second Life. If you support MOULa, be in MOULa. To me your being in Second Life and not MOULa cancels out any support you claim to have for MOULa
Alien, I felt the same way about the Uruites in SL during the MOUL/GameTap era, and if MOUL hadn't shut down, I'd have never gone to SL. But, MOUL did shut down and I wanted to stay in touch with the community, but I didn't want to play another game, so SL was the only option for me. For several months, all I could talk about was wanting to go home to Uru. But, it was almost two years - 22 long months - before MOULa returned and by then the Uru Community in SL had become my home. I did come back to MOULa. I was there at the Ferry Landing to greet people the first night. Since then, I've created more than a dozen avatars, dropped thousands of pellets, helped newcomers, and attended many, many events. But, the friends I've made in this community over the years aren't there on a regular basis and without them, there's just not enough to keep me coming into the cavern on a regular basis, either.

So, please don't judge me until you've walked in my shoes.

In any case, you seemed to have missed the point I was making about the chat system in SL. If MOULa had a chat system like SL, I'd probably be logging in to the cavern every day to chat with people. My apologies if that wasn't clear.

Support for Uru comes in many forms. Some donate, but never log in. Some can't donate, but create events and things to do in the cavern. Some encourage others to do those things. Some carry on the legacy in other places and promote the game to new communities.

I'm still a member of this community and always will be whether I log in to Uru or SL or nowhere but these forums. And, it hurts to be told that my support for the community is negated just because I choose to spend time with the Uru Community in SL.

And, you wonder why I don't like to come into the cavern, anymore...

I have seen you in the cavern, so you do what I said ... "be in MOULa" ... so you have been in MOULa and shown your support there. My cooment and opinion was aimed at those in Second Life who don't come to MOULa and say they support it. You are not that person, unless you decide never to come back to MOULa again, and to be fair, I do understand that Second Life is what MOULa could / should be.

I agree the chat system in MOULa could be better, and yes I have also thought being able to chat to groups would be better, maybe someone able to make that happen in MOULa is up to the challenge. I made a suggestion to the chat to Lyrositor, and it wasn't long before it was implemented into MOULa, so it can happen.

I still stand by my opinion, if you support MOULa, be in MOULa ... that doesn't mean don't be in Second Life, it means don't ONLY be in Second Life. I apologise if I wasn't clear about that.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:20 pm 

Excerpts of what Tai'lahr wrote:
So, please don't judge me until you've walked in my shoes.

[...]

Support for Uru comes in many forms. Some donate, but never log in. Some can't donate, but create events and things to do in the cavern. Some encourage others to do those things. Some carry on the legacy in other places and promote the game to new communities.

I'm still a member of this community and always will be whether I log in to Uru or SL or nowhere but these forums. And, it hurts to be told that my support for the community is negated just because I choose to spend time with the Uru Community in SL.

[...]

And, you wonder why I don't like to come into the cavern, anymore...

I didn't kept the whole quote since the person you are quoting I can't read her posts anymore.

but that's exactly how I feel about the main server. My closest buddies are always puzzled when I dare show in the public city. This community is great in the general sense not every members of it is though (I'm not targetting anyone here!).

I tend to get along with people who live and let live rather than the judgemental folks.

I've been in SL too, I didn't like the whole experience. The D'ni Refugee Group was awesome with me, it's the rest I couldn't handle well. I'm not a heavy online player so I'm not used to harsh comments or worst coming from complete strangers, SL is a jungle in my view and I'm still not ready to jump in the pit. But if for some folks SL is their way to meet others of this community, why not?

Even in a close tight-knit family, there are dissensions between its members so are you really surprised that in a more or less few thousands active members community like URU there are many as well?

So I'll paraphrase Tai: "So, please don't judge me until you've walked in my shoes."

Each person is unique, each person can bring something new to others as long as the keep themselves from judging others. I bring my brick to the foundation, if you like it, I'm glad :D , if you don't like it, well...live and let live... This applies to everyone bringing a brick to the foundation. (Read the 2 big paragraphs I kept from Tai above)

Tai'lahr wrote:
...nowhere but these forums

this forum is really a tough one let me tell you, I've even been told to "Please stop posting..."

As you can see I'm still confident enough in the maturity of this whole community to stand still against adversity.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:12 pm 

Annabelle wrote:
I didn't kept the whole quote since the person you are quoting I can't read her posts anymore.

/facepalm

Could someone please pass this onto Annabelle as it seems I'm on her ignore list (fine by me, btw)
*ahem* (clears throat) ... You chose to be offended, you could choose *not* to be offended.

Thank you if you do actually pass that on.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:53 pm 

To the Moderators, if you're out there... please Lock This Topic NOW!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:55 pm 

m.a.x.2.0 wrote:
To the Moderators, if you're out there... please Lock This Topic NOW!!!

No, I think this is very valuable discussion.
There are many people out there who bend over backwards to keep players interested in MOULa, and Annabelle is one of those people. She has done more than I have and I have a lot of respect for the work she has put in.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

I've seen this discussion through from the first day Sam posted, and watched it evolve over time into the same argument that is had again and again about Uru's past and it's future and what is wrong with it.

First, to those who compare it to SL, these people need to stop doing this. Uru is not an MMO like SL. SL is an MMO Social Networking Platform. There is no "point" to playing SL other than for the social interaction. There are no puzzles in SL, there is no overarching "story" in SL created by it's developers. SL is not a game in the traditional sense. It's a social networking platform. Granted it is such a platform in a 3d world that shares similarties with other MMO's. However one will quickly notice that SL developers took the Social aspects of an MMO. Economy/User Created content etc and wrapped a 3d engine around it and called it a game when it's not. It's based entirely in it's social interactions world. If you do not want to talk to others than there is no point in playing SL.

Uru on the other hand is an entirely different beast. Uru is an MMO adventure game. It's gameplay is entirely wrapped around the content and the story it provides to the user. Once the user plays through that content it then becomes a purely social experience game. That is where the comparisons to SL start to come into focus. However this is the over arching problem with Uru, it's lack of content causes it to fall into a social experience game,, and once that happens it's other problems (Chat difficulties, User Interface etc) start to become more obvious issues.

The main issue with Uru is it's player retention. We all know this. It's been debated for 10 years and it's the main reason people stop playing Uru. It can't hold players interest. However adding things like bots, and marker quests etc do not fix this issue. They are great for short term fixes to keep some players interested, but for the most part they are like attaching a bandage to bleeding bullet wound. Sure it might keep the blood in for a short term, but until you get to the hospital and remove the bullet and stitch up the wound you're still in danger of dying. There are only three things Uru needs to fix it's player retention wound:

1. User Interface Upgrades: Upgrade the UI to a modern era system. That means Chat channels for more groups, Improved menus, and better camera/movement controls.

2. Ease of Access: This is a glaring fault in Uru that very few MMO's have. It's the time frame in which a new player starts up Uru' executable, to when they first come across another player. The solution to this issue is moving the start up age from Relto, to a public area that veteran players can congregate in to meet new players just starting out, and where a person that is urged to play the game by a friend or family member can meet them within the game for the first time.

3. Repeatable Content:

This is broken up into two categories. Player Vs Player, and Player Vs Environment.

Player Vs Player: I'm not talking about Marker missions that provide no benefit to the player, or Pellet scores. I'm talking about Player Vs Player content that never gets old that people can do in groups. Gahreesen Wall. Kahlo races etc. Games that allow the players to compete against one another and track invididual/group progress on a scoreboard like device.

Player vs Enviornment:

This isn't ages like the prime ages or Ercana. These are ages in which you can play over and over again and enjoy them again and again. They have to have both a point to wanting to play them over and over again. IE a reward, and a game system that doesn't make the play feel redundant and tedious.

You add those 3 things into this game, and the game survives. Simple as that. You don't need an economy. Everything else, bots, marker missions, skydiving etc etc, these can all contribute after the fact to making the replay value fun and exciting. But they cannot fix the fundamental flaws of the game and attract new people to the game, and make them stay. You want to do that, then fix the actual problems with the game.

The great thing about User Created content and Open-Source is that we can do all three of those things, and those things ARE BEING DONE. It's just taking a long time to do it by both fans and those behind the scenes at Cyan implementing the solutions.

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6