It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:03 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:56 am 

This should go in off topic but it's too important for that.
I got a call tonight from someone, sounded Indian, claiming to be from Microsoft and that they had detected a DNS Virus on my machine.
This is a known scam. They will infect your computer if you give them a chance.
google phone call from microsoft about a virus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:53 am 
Obduction Backer

1. HHH, I bet the caller stated they were from "The Windows Company", rather than from Microsoft?
This is a well-known scam, I've played them along before to see what tricks they use.
They'll have you open your Event Viewer and claim that every event is a threat.
They'll try to convince you that process ID numbers common to all Windows machines are a unique ID number for your computer... that they can see because they are remotely connected.
There are lots of references to these scammers that you can Google, but it is fun to play with them and see how much of their time you can waste. They can get quite rude after you keep them online for a half-hour or more without their seeing any success.

2. Moderator, would you please move this thread to "Off-Topic"???

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:22 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Yes, this seems to have picked up in frequency lately.

I feel sorry for these people. Here's my script when I get these calls: "I'm so sorry you have found such hardship in your life that you were forced to accept a job like this with a company that makes you to lie and take money from other people like you who need it. I wish you all the best in finding a rewarding, honest job." I wait for their response just in case they want to cry on my shoulder. None do. Usually it's <click>. One guy laughed, then hung up. But I like the play-along idea.

Some people would say any call from Microsoft is a scam even when it really is Microsoft on the line. ;)

Another caller with a forceful, macho voice said he was calling with a warrant for my arrest, but of course I could settle it on the phone with a credit card. I used the same script and hung up. He got angry and then, unlike any other call I've received, he called back to yell bad names at me and said he was sending someone right over. I laughed and said, "Okayyyy." No one showed.

Some parents or grandparents are getting calls to inform them that their child/grandchild has been kidnapped from school and to send money. Calls to the school confirm the child is actually present and unharmed. Awful stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:24 am 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
Here's my script when I get these calls: "I'm so sorry you have found such hardship in your life that you were forced to accept a job like this with a company that makes you to lie and take money from other people like you who need it. I wish you all the best in finding a rewarding, honest job."

Absolute genius.

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:35 am 
Obduction Backer

I usually point out they are criminals, and Microsoft may develop an interest at some point.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:25 pm 

I got one of these calls last year. I had difficulty with his strong Indian accent. I bet he had as much difficulty with my French Canadian accent too :lol: . Anyway... I was very suspicious and as I was googling the app's name he mentioned to me (something to connect remotely) I found a lot of warnings that it was a scam. I just kept listening to him pretending I was still interested and I hung up. I got a second call but this time I let the guy go straight to my answering machine, my message is in French... I never got any more call from them.

Last edited by Annabelle on Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:17 pm 

One more reason not to answer the phone. If it's a real caller, they'll leave a message.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:46 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

I got these calls several times about a year or so ago - Usually start off by claiming that they've detected "problems with your computer" and will try to convince you that all the yellow '!' and red 'x' entries in your Windows logs are faults or viruses (they aren't - they're a normal part of Windows reporting what is or isn't enabled, etc., and only a few are ever related to "real" faults). These callers get quite upset when you call them out as frauds.

One of my work colleagues responded to one such call telling him that his computer was faulty with "What!!? My Cray??? Oh no!" and hung up. Another guy played the caller along for the best part of an hour professing not to be able to find the icons the guy was asking him to click on, re-booting the PC several times, etc., before eventually declaring that his PC ran Ubuntu Linux, not Windows. After all, it's the "caller's nickel".

In the UK at least, the police got several of the websites used by the scammers shut down, and that seemed to drive them away for a while.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

Afraid they're back troubling us in the UK, Mac - I had a call a couple of days ago. I didn't let her get into her spiel, I just said "this sounds like a scam" and hung up. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:10 pm 

As MS doesn't know my phone number I can be sure that any call from "them" must be a scam.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:56 pm 

I remember them, and their various line's of horse manure. :?

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Last edited by Karkadann on Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:28 am 
Obduction Backer

Even though I have several Windows 7 computers, I usually tell them I have an Apple

"Laugh it up, Chuckles" -- Space Ghost to Rand Miller; MOUL KI #38615, Mulligan KI #37069, MOULa2.0 #130257

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:58 am 
Obduction Backer

They also get annoyed if you tell them you're on Linux. "Microsoft does Linux now?, what?"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

We also get these phonecalls and I always find them a bit desparate. The successrate of scamming dutch people while speaking english can't be high.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:46 pm 
Site Admin

hhhenry wrote:
This should go in off topic but it's too important for that.

Despite the "importance" of a topic, you should still post in the correct section on the forums, considering this has nothing to do with "Spoiler-free Discussion" of MOUL.

I am moving this thread to the "off-topic" section of the forums.