It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:28 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:58 am 
Obduction Backer

Draaloff may find that he has something similar waiting for him when he gets back from holiday. The two of you might want to work together on this, Calumon.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

A quick squint at the soundtrack CD shows "© 2005 Ubisoft Entertainment. All Rights Reserved". I think that nails rumblefish as fraudulent. By the way, isn't Rumble Fish a Francis Ford Coppola film?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

AlanD wrote:
A quick squint at the soundtrack CD shows "© 2005 Ubisoft Entertainment. All Rights Reserved". I think that nails rumblefish as fraudulent. By the way, isn't Rumble Fish a Francis Ford Coppola film?

I'm assuming you're looking at the case for the soundtrack CD. But remember the rights to Myst V reverted to Cyan in 2012. I'm assuming that since they can publish and distribute the game with all the accompanying sound tracks still intact, that the retain publishing rights to the music as well as the game itself. Meaning all of of Ubisoft's rights over Uru, Myst V, Riven, realMyst and Myst Masteripeice edition have now lapsed. Leaving the only rights Ubisoft still holds being Myst 3 and Myst IV.

Its likely, if rumblefish is the company that Ubisoft uses to protect its licenses for various game sound tracks, that rumblefish's data has not yet been updated to not include the Uru and Myst V tracks. Since the rights have only recently reverted back to Cyan.

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
I'm assuming that since they can publish and distribute the game with all the accompanying sound tracks still intact, that the retain publishing rights to the music as well as the game itself.

Not at all a safe assumption. The rights to use the music in-game and the rights to release it as a soundtrack could have been treated separately.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:53 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

AlanD wrote:
A quick squint at the soundtrack CD shows "© 2005 Ubisoft Entertainment. All Rights Reserved". I think that nails rumblefish as fraudulent.
Not necessarily "fraudulent" - RumbleFish are undoubtedly parasites, but they don't actually claim to be the rights holder: They do act as a licensing agent on behalf of a fairly large portfolio of publishers and with the approval of Google/YouTube, so what they say could be true and in many cases it will be.

But when they identify an item that they don't have representation rights for, it wouldn't surprise me if they make a speculative claim on it then approach the publisher and say "Hey, see what we can do for you - just sign here...", and there seems to be reliable evidence that a good number of their claims lack substance.

In any case, they don't actually stop you using the material, they just want the ad revenue (and they'll insist on ads being attached to your videos) routed to them instead of you. They'll take their cut and pass on what's left to the real rights owner.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

belford wrote:
Quote:
I'm assuming that since they can publish and distribute the game with all the accompanying sound tracks still intact, that the retain publishing rights to the music as well as the game itself.

Not at all a safe assumption. The rights to use the music in-game and the rights to release it as a soundtrack could have been treated separately.

And Cyan was able to actually sell both soundtracks themselves, as early as 2011 directly from in house via paypal. So, again, I'd say the publishing rights to the games and their soundtracks (Other than Myst III and IV) have either been bought back or reverted back to Cyan in the intervening years.

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:14 am 
Obduction Backer

Still making assumptions, I'm afraid. The fact that Cyan was only selling physical CDs implies that they owned a stack of CDs, that's all.

Probably best to leave Cyan to manage their own legal rights, since they know what the deal actually is.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:22 am 
Obduction Backer

Do any of you actually still care about the rights to the game (or pictures,songs,textures,actors,etc..) ??? Give this a lock... PLEASE

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:16 am 
Obduction Backer

belford wrote:
Still making assumptions, I'm afraid. The fact that Cyan was only selling physical CDs implies that they owned a stack of CDs, that's all.

Probably best to leave Cyan to manage their own legal rights, since they know what the deal actually is.

I'm not saying Cyan shouldn't manage their legal rights. I'm inferring that the very fact that Cyan is able to sell both the soundtracks, and the game through their website implies that the publishing rights for both have fully reverted back to Cyan. The fact Cyan is listed as the publisher and label for each of the products on both steam and Amazon indicates that they are the publisher.

Cyan would not sell something through their site if their legal department did not tell them "It's okay for you to sell these now". Especially if they were still fighting Ubisoft on the legal rights to their games (Myst III, Myst IV etc) They would be extra careful to ensure that everything they sold and distributed was one hundred percent theirs.

Charura wrote:
Do any of you actually still care about the rights to the game (or pictures,songs,textures,actors,etc..) ??? Give this a lock... PLEASE

Of course we still care about the rights to the game, thats why we're discussing them. Why would you want this locked?

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live

Last edited by ChloeRhodes on Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:48 pm 

I'd rather not have this thread locked for when (if?) I get a response from Youtube so I can post an update on the dispute I filed, quite honestly....*checks on curiosity*

Huh! Looks like the claim's been removed! I just set the video back to public view, anyone care to check it to see if the ads have been removed? (I can't tell as I have Adblock installed.)

If everything's been sorted out, then I've got no objections with the thread being closed as it's served it's purpose.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:30 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Ad removed. Nice effort, thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hi, Calu, it runs fine so far, I have for the time I've been watching it deactivated my Adblock plus with no adds appearing so far and I've watched it a second time to be sure ... :P

So, congratulations for not being intimidated by their claim and for the nerves and courage to dispute it in a nice and eloquent way btw, and the support here was absolutely exquisite ... wonderful ... :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
I'm glad everything worked out for you, Calumon, and thanks again for sharing your videos.

Calumon wrote:
If everything's been sorted out, then I've got no objections with the thread being closed as it's served it's purpose.
Threads are never closed or locked without a good reason and one person's lack of interest in the discussion is not a good reason.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

Great to hear, Calumon. This was a classic, in which you had an issue and questions were asked, information was offered, through which you were able to resolve your case (and rebuff the slimeballs in the process!)
I learned something, while enjoying the positive outcome! Glad this was not locked 8)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:34 pm 

Tai'lahr wrote:
I'm glad everything worked out for you, Calumon, and thanks again for sharing your videos.

Calumon wrote:
Threads are never closed or locked without a good reason and one person's lack of interest in the discussion is not a good reason.

*Shrug* Then I don't care if it's closed or not.