It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:27 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:02 am 

Appologies if the answer to this is posted elsewhere but a search has not produced anything that applies so....here goes....

I have a laptop with Windows 7. I have the URU Complete Chronicles CD (2 discs). The instructions say that the supported os's are XP/ME/2000/98SE (only). :roll:

Obviously my question is - can I install CC on my laptop? If yes, I may need some tips on doing so cause I know that there is a BIG difference 'tween installing something on XP and installing something on 7. :?

While this question applies specificly to URU CC - it would be nice to know if I can install any or all of the following as well: 10th Anniversary DVD Edition of Myst - Riven - Exile, Myst IV Revelation, and Myst V End of Ages. My poor Dell desktop (circa 2003) may not have much longer to live - knock-on-wood - which means all my Myst games may go with it. :cry:

Any advice given would be greatly appreciated - Thank you
Kero

PS: I already have MOULa installed on my laptop so please - if installing CC is possible let me know how to do it so there is no conflict between the two.

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:39 am 

Hello Kero,

The question should have been asked in the URU:CC sub-section of the Cyan's forum (link on the main page of this forum, same login credentials BTW...)

Don't bother much with that for now, if Hannah wants to move it, she can do it.

The short answer is: YES you can install & play URU:CC on Windows 7 :D

All you need to do is:

1) Install the program as is using the installer on the first CD.
2) After the installation process, DO NOT start the game, right-click on uruexplorer.exe and go in properties.
3) Select Run as Administrator & Compatibility Mode for XP SP3. (That's mandatory because of a bug with Teledahn otherwise)
4) Run the program, it should run smoothly :)

----

There's a patch that you can apply to run it without CD. It's legit so it's not something I can't talk about :lol: , I don't remember where you can grab a copy of it though...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:36 am 

Thank you Annabelle for your prompt answer to my question. You've made me a vary happy camper. :mrgreen:

As to your FYI -
Annabelle wrote:

The question should have been asked in the URU:CC sub-section of the Cyan's forum (link on the main page of this forum, same login credentials BTW...)

Don't bother much with that for now, if Hannah wants to move it, she can do it.

:oops: Mia Culpa

I have not been on the forums since the beginning of the year. I did not know about the Cyan Forum when I posted. It was only after I posted and wandered into the From Cyan Worlds/Announcements and News section that I learned about the alternate forum for Cyan's other games. So - Hannah - feel free to move this to it's proper place. :wink:

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:37 am 
Obduction Backer

You don't actually need to run compatibility mode.. at least I never needed to. But yeah works on Win 7 just fine. No widescreen support though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:10 am 
Obduction Backer

I have all the Cyan Myst-universe games installed and running on this (Windows 7 Home Premium) laptop.

Uru: Ages Beyond Myst, Path of the Shell (I have this set, but the same advice works withe Uru CC): Installed straight from the CD's, no tricks needed.

The last official patch, which removes the need to keep the CD in the drive was released by Ubisoft as UruCC_n.zip.

It contains updated copies of 4 files - SoundDecompress.exe, sp.dll, UruExplorer.exe, and UruSetup.exe.

There is apparently a way to set Uru:CC to run widescreen but it is a topic best addressed by the Guild of Writers, so their forum is the place to look. I've not tried it.

10th Anniversary DVD Edition of Myst: I don't have this, but I'm told it can be installed and run successfully on Win 7. I have Myst Masterpiece Edition, installed as I explained in the Myst section of the Cyan forum

http://forums.cyan.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=413

Riven: I have the 5-CD version, which can be made to run on Windows 7 but not by installation there... let me explain - no, it will take too long, let me sum up (0x0d)...
See my post on the Riven section of the Cyan forum

http://forums.cyan.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=267

I think the DVD version can also be made to run on Windows 7 by a similar method.

Exile: Install straight from the CD's. The last official update I have is 1.2, which should still be available from Ubisoft

Revelation: Install straight from the DVD. Last official update I have from Ubisoft is 1.02.

End of Ages: Install straight from the DVD.
Use Myst5InitFiles fix from
http://cho.cyan.com/patches/Myst5InitFiles.zip

footnotes:
0x0d - inevitable Princess Bride reference

Last edited by AlanD on Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:45 pm 

If you install Uru ABM/PotS/CC to Program Files on Vista or newer, I recommend going to the compatiibility options and forcing "run as admin" mode on UruLauncher.exe and UruExplorer.exe. Otherwise Windows will do a few strange tricks to avoid breaking the program entirely due to missing permissions, but some of the files will end up in the wrong location.
As far as I know using XP compat mode will automatically give admin permissions as well, so using that might be better.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

Another trick is installing things in the user's Saved Games subfolder, where the need for admin privileges is moot. IIRC, it works fine to install in the default location and then click/drag the entire game folder to the subfolder destination.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:06 pm 

Or install it in the correct location right away to avoid confusing the poor registry :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

I have no such file as UruLauncher.exe in my ABM/PotS installation. The Uru shortcut points to Uru.exe. I can only find UruLauncher.exe in my MOULa installations.

I have made no changes to permissions in my Uru installations and they run fine. I have installed the UruCC_n patch, which includes a new UruExplorer.exe.

I've been looking for a valid source for that patch, with little success. The UbiSoft link that I got it from no longer works. However it can be downloaded from the Deep Island server using Drizzle. Drizzle stores its downloaded files in (in my case)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubi Soft\Cyan Worlds\Uru - Ages Beyond Myst\agearchives\

and the file you want, if you want to apply it to other installations, is

officialnocd--2010Sep29.7z\

You will need 7-Zip or an equivalent to unzip it.

It contains four updated files which you need to copy into your Uru - Ages Beyond Myst folder. It is good practice to make copies of the original files that you are replacing first, in case you want to revert. I just tag -original onto the filename.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

dgelessus wrote:
Or install it in the correct location right away to avoid confusing the poor registry :)

Shorah dgelessus,

My understanding (which is second-hand at best) is that there are no registry settings made by the Myst games (though it's possible I misunderstood and this applies to Uru:CC/MOUL and its various flavors only).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:32 pm 

I haven't checked in detail yet, but the To D'ni and PotS patchers know the location of the last Uru ABM/To D'ni installation made. Even if not stored in the registry, it has to be somewhere, and it will probably not get updated when you move the folder.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

Uru puts an entry into the registry when it is installed. This entry prevents you from installing multiple copies of Uru on the same PC using the same install approach. Anecdotally, this mattered back when players were installing Uru and patching it to play on Until Uru shards, but shouldn't prevent you from installing multiple custom MOUL clients for shards today because their installers no longer look for an identical registry key :)

As for the no-cd patch, perhaps Cyan could put the official file up for download on their own server? Hannah, if you see his, would that be possible?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

You could take a copy of the Uru folder at each stage: basic install, To D'ni patch (after which you'd have to revert to a copy of the saved basic install) and PotS. I'm assuming that, since Deep Island installations work quite happily from a different folder, then multiple Uru installations would too. I'm not sure why you'd want to do it though, as the updates simply add features and content.

MOUL clients are very different from Uru installations and the two have no interdependency.

Last edited by AlanD on Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:03 pm 

Tweek wrote:
You don't actually need to run compatibility mode.. at least I never needed to. But yeah works on Win 7 just fine. No widescreen support though.

Are you sure you run the CD version Tweek?

I've never been able to go in Teledahn unless I had switched to compatibility mode with the CD version beforehand.

You are right for the GOG.com version though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

Annabelle, I have no need for compatibility mode, but I am running the modified UruExplorer that comes with the official nocd patch...