It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:31 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:58 pm 

Ah ok.

Officially, I ran URU:CC (CD Version) on Windows 7 a long time ago, I had no idea at that time there was a nocd patch and I bought the GOG.com version 2 years ago. Since then, I'm using the latter version which is natively compatible with Windows 7.

Thanks for that detail.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:20 am 

At this time I wish to thank everyone for their input to my questions. Unfortunately - for over a week now my poor laptop has been at the computer hospital having surgery done to her motherboard. As soon as she gets home I intend to follow your suggestions. I'll let you know then what works - or doesn't. :wink:

Thanks again -

Kero

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:57 pm 

Back to let all of you who gave me your very helpful advice know that all of the Myst games are now installed on my laptop (Win 7 home) computer. While performing the installations I did have a /doh moment though. I remembered that I had purchased realMyst for PC through Big Fish Games for my desktop. So I downloaded that instead of installing Myst Masterpiece.

All of the games work great with one exception.....

I started Riven and got a quick glimpse of Atrus before finding myself in the "unlocked" trap cell. I nosed around and found the guard I should have seen through bars lying on the cliff below. Is this the only glitch or will I be getting more? (the 10th Anniversary version is installed with QuickTime 6.3)

Again - thanks ever so much for all of your help :mrgreen:

Kero

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Hi Kero, you might get a quicker/better answer to your question about Riven if you post it in that section of the Cyan forums. Your account on this site carries over to that site. IIRC, you have to join the Explorers Group there, too. How to post/PM in the forums (Join the Explorers Group!) Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:46 am 

Thanks Tai'lahr - am headed there now. :mrgreen:

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:27 pm 

AlanD wrote:
Annabelle, I have no need for compatibility mode, but I am running the modified UruExplorer that comes with the official nocd patch...

I have the original Uru ABM and separate POTS expansion and am doing the same in Win7 Pro /x64 and Win7 Ultimate /x64. No compatibility settings needed. Installed Uru ABM, followed by the v1.2 patch for it, then the POTS expansion. Applied the newer, 2010Sep29 no-CD patch (there are two) and ran the program. Been through the entire game a couple of times, including all the ages, all the Bahro stones, and acquiring all the Relto pages, with no issues at all.

I've reached a conclusion the official no-CD patches -- for the original two-part ABM/POTS releases or the combined CC release -- do more than just eliminating the need to have the CD in the drive.

John

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm fairly certain you are right, jalind; I think the nocd bit is contained in the dll, and the updated client executables contain more fixes. I'm running one that was distributed as UruCC_n.zip, but I couldn't put a date on it easily - the files inside have 2004 dates for date modified and October 2013 for date created. Although the fix says UruCC, it works just fine with ABM + PotS, and indeed I thought that Uru CC was just a package of ABM + PotS in any case?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:29 pm 

Kero wrote:
Back to let all of you who gave me your very helpful advice know that all of the Myst games are now installed on my laptop (Win 7 home) computer. While performing the installations I did have a /doh moment though. I remembered that I had purchased realMyst for PC through Big Fish Games for my desktop. So I downloaded that instead of installing Myst Masterpiece.

All of the games work great with one exception.....

I started Riven and got a quick glimpse of Atrus before finding myself in the "unlocked" trap cell. I nosed around and found the guard I should have seen through bars lying on the cliff below. Is this the only glitch or will I be getting more? (the 10th Anniversary version is installed with QuickTime 6.3)

Again - thanks ever so much for all of your help :mrgreen:

Kero

For windows 7 OS, you will have to use an older Quick Time version 4.1.2
that can be found here...
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1133?viewlocale=en_US

Playing Myst Masterpiece Edition (10th Anniversary DVD): Works ONLY when QuickTime version 4.1.2 is installed, and "Disable Visual Themes" is checked.

Playing Riven (10th Anniversary DVD): Works ONLY when QuickTime version 4.1.2 is installed, and "Disable Visual Themes" is checked.

Solution: Investigations by wstrohm at Ubi forums
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/65 ... ost8158603

Btw, right click game desktop icon and left click "Run as administrator"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:01 am 
Obduction Backer

Thanks for the independent confirmation, Artic-wagon.

Just to repeat what I've said earlier in the thread, I have the games running on my Windows 7 laptop, but from the original CD's that I bought way back when. I don't have the 10th anniversary DVD editions. That said:

Myst ME installed successfully from the CD and ran successfully with the Quicktime 4.1.2 that is included.

While looking up and sorting out Quicktime requirements for Riven CD, I needed to make the Myst installation immune from Quicktime changes. I found that all you need to do is put the QuickTime.qts file from a 4.1.2 version of QuickTime into the Myst Masterpiece Edition folder. On my machine that's in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Orb". That is how I'm running Myst ME right now, and I have QuickTime 7 installed :)

It has been reported in a couple of places that a similar fix works for 10th Anniversary Riven DVD. In this case, put the copy of QuickTime.qts into the Riven program folder. Kero has done this and it has done the trick.

In both cases this renders you independent of the version of the QuickTime application installed on your computer. In fact you can get away with no QuickTime installation at all.

The QuickTime.qts file can be found in the Riven_Vista patch which can be got from the Gamefront site

http://www.gamefront.com/files/8014203/ ... sta-Patch/

You only need the QuickTime.qts file.