It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Myst V Ages in MOULa?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:12 am 

I read in another post that Myst V ownership had been returned to Cyan by Ubisoft in 2012. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

This leads to the question - if true - IS there any possibility for us seeing the Myst V Ages in MOULa? Can such a thing be done? Would Cyan authorize the doing of such a thing if such a thing could be done?

Just curious, with fingers crossed. :lol:

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:25 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Welcome home, Kero.

Have a look at this announcement from Mysterium, the trailer mentioned, Chloe's post about the trailer and more here.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:37 am 
Creative Kingdoms

I'd like to see a Myst V bubble on the Relto island instead of the fireworks so that finishing all the sparklies and entering the bubble takes you to the Myst V ages. That kind of integration would give the gameplay more meaning than just earning fireworks. Ok, so maybe you could still use a Relto book page to switch between fireworks and the bubble so we don't lose the fireworks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
Or, perhaps a Bahro stone in K'veer that - like the Teledahn stone in Ae'gura - would link you to a spot where you'd find a "bubble" Relto page?

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:06 am 

Tai'lahr wrote:
Welcome home, Kero.

It is good to be back my dear - funny how much one can miss when one gets side tracked for a year or so. :roll: :lol: Now for my reaction to all of your posts......

OMG - YES YES YES - /me jumping up and down with joy :mrgreen: :!: :!: :!:

Seriously - when I saw in the trailer Decent and that sort of nexus island from five I couldn't believe my eyes. :shock: Add in those other "fan ages (?)" and I think I can safely say that ALL things GOOD really do come to those who wait. :lol:

Just one question - please don't get me wrong - will DIRT: URU Live be a competitor to MOULa for fans, or will they sort of feed off of one another?

Kero

PS: I like TOOO's suggestion - the page adds a bridge from the sparklies island to a bubble island - that way we get both - fireworks AND bubble link to Myst V ages. :lol:

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:48 am 
Obduction Backer

Kero wrote:
Just one question - please don't get me wrong - will DIRT: URU Live be a competitor to MOULa for fans, or will they sort of feed off of one another?

DIRT - Uru Live is going to be its own shard just like Gehn and TOC. Meaning it will have its own content, and additions as well as take in whatever fan ages other people develop. The major difference between it and the other shards (including ATM Myst Online) will be it will also have an ongoing story and regular role out of new content rather than fragmented updates every few months. Cyan is welcome to take as little or as much of the content that is developed for DIRT - Uru Live as they wish. That ball will be in their court, but obviously I'd like to see as much of DIRT stuff go to the "Official" shard as it can.

Quote:
PS: I like TOOO's suggestion - the page adds a bridge from the sparklies island to a bubble island - that way we get both - fireworks AND bubble link to Myst V ages. :lol:

I feel the need to point out, that as far as DIRT - Uru Live is concerned. The ages that are being shown that "look" like Myst V ages, only "look" like Myst V ages. They are not Myst V ages. There are no Keeps (the bubbles) slates, tablets, etc. None of that will be present in these ages as that was all stuff developed for Myst V, and IMO should stay in the game it was developed for. The ages that "look" like Myst V ages that will appear in DIRT, are being based around their original Uru concepts, or at least the public and private knowledge/images of them. That means that the age's gameplay, its story, and in terms of some of them even their size and look may be dramatically different than what you saw in Myst V.

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:09 am 
Obduction Backer

OK, Chloe, I'll bite - I was going to ask this the last time the topic came up, but I let it slide.

Will there be a DIRT-canon explanation of why the Ages may look different from their Myst V counterparts, but purport to be the same Ages?

Because I'm very strongly hoping you'll say "yes." I mean, I know Uru Toldemer concepts were markedly different from Myst V Toldemer... but I'm hoping for something like "Oh, it's the same Toldemer, but Uru is by day and Myst V is by night." Or something like that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:19 am 
Obduction Backer

Marten wrote:
OK, Chloe, I'll bite - I was going to ask this the last time the topic came up, but I let it slide.

Will there be a DIRT-canon explanation of why the Ages may look different from their Myst V counterparts, but purport to be the same Ages?

Because I'm very strongly hoping you'll say "yes." I mean, I know Uru Toldemer concepts were markedly different from Myst V Toldemer... but I'm hoping for something like "Oh, it's the same Toldemer, but Uru is by day and Myst V is by night." Or something like that.

Is there an explanation as to why Descent in Myst V is so vastly different than the version in Uru? If you want an IC explanation, Myst V is a game, it's based off of Watson's journey to return the tablet to the bahro and free them. The ages in it are Cyan World's visual recreation of those ages from Watson's descriptions of them.

If you want an OOC explanation, the ages are different because they're being based on Cyan's original concepts for them so as to set them apart from the story and gameplay of Myst V and make them unique and new and not just a rehash of old content from a different game.

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:16 am 
Obduction Backer

I get the OOC explanation totally. I definitely want the Ages to be unique and new and not just a rehash when I visit them in Uru. I fully support that. I want that. I think that's great!

It's the IC explanation that I don't really like.

You are asking the IC me to accept that Cyan World's recreations, or Watson's descriptions on which they were based, can be WAY off from reality. Sure, the IC me understands that even Cyan has used this crutch for why Myst Island is small and lacks living quarters. But that does not sway the IC me from feeling that this is very disappointing, because IC me expects better of Cyan and Watson. The IC me expects the travel guide, as it may be thought of, to prepare him for the real journey.

It seems to me that better IC reasons could be developed. Maybe something changed geographically in the Age between when Watson visited, and when we are visiting, since we're visiting sometime after Watson. Maybe there was an asteroid impact. Maybe the sun got a little further away, or a little closer. Maybe a Bahro spit on the book and some of the ink ran, or a Bahro child scribbled in it, and now it's a slightly different Age.

I think you have a world of options that are better than "Cyan got it wrong in Myst V."

I hope this inspires some backstory creativity. :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

IC, we haven’t been in those places, Watson did. This would be even stricter for the other games: not even DRC members could have ‘really’ visited Riven. Any difference might be due to Watson not remembering exactly, or misleading for some reason.
Also, as you mentioned the places we’ll see in DIRT are post-Tablet; the bahro might have had some ‘unfinished business’ in those Ages, or part of their war happened there.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:33 pm 

Thank you Chloe for your answer to my question about DIRT: Uru Live vis a vis MOULa. It makes me feel better - not disloyal to Cyan if I add DIRT (when finally opened to the public) to my computer.

After reading yours, Marten's, and korovev's posts though I am experiencing a bit of confusion.... :? The impression I got from the trailer and Mysterium announcements was that Descent and the other ages would be coming to MOULa (near the end of the year - maybe - knock-on-wood). But what I'm getting from you guys is that these things will be coming out on DIRT. So which is it? If it is MOULa in truth - is the IC explanation you gave the one that Cyan/MOULa is going with or the one that ChloeRodes/DIRT is going with?

A little clarification here might help me feel a little less cornfusticated.... :wink:

@ChloeRhodes - when you get to the Beta testing I have some experience having been on the Beta for the GameTap version of URU. If you are in need of another body.... 8) :mrgreen:

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:23 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

I'll give you my take on this, Kero: The artists working on the ages will understandably target their "home" shard (or a private game instance) initially for their work - that's inherent in the process of testing and refinement before the material gets to the state of being publically released. Thereafter, "finished" ages may migrate to MOULa (at the discretion of Cyan and the artist), possibly via an (as yet undetermined) content testing shard. So while you may see Chloe writing about "DIRT - Uru Live" that does not preclude it getting to MOULa, but DIRT will be where it's present first. The artists can only speak definitively on what is within their own control, so I think it's simply a case of not being presumptuous.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.