It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:36 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:14 pm 

I was just wondering - if Net Neutrality goes the way of the Passenger Pigeon, what will become of URU? If Cyan has to pay for adequate connection speed .... we are doomed? Does anyone know if Big Telecom slowdowns would apply to indie games as well as indie web sites?

I have a sinking feeling ...

for more info go to https://bigtelecomvstheworld.org

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:34 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

By all accounts, Cyan actually has a relatively indifferent internet connection at the best of times. MOULa isn't hosted on Cyan premises (although some ancillary support services may be) - it's on Amazon servers, so bandwidth costs are amortized across the Amazon user base on a near pro-rata basis. If the idea of net neutrality disappeared (and remember that's largely the case for most ISPs anyway since they tend to shove things into priority queues depending on how much interactivity the traffic type requires), I guess cloud hosts like Amazon might choose to bin traffic into cost tiers. But, downloads aside, MOUL doesn't actually need a whole lot of bandwidth for regular gameplay - for each player, much of the time it's almost down at a level supportable on dial-up.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

I don't know where the NN fight is going. However, I suspect that the big players will only care about Internet video. Any data stream that isn't video is too small to fight about.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:27 pm 

Thanks guys .... nice to know that if everything else goes mammary glands up, at least we'll still have URU.