Obduction Backer

Dunny
From dunnekin (“privy, cesspit”), via Australian convicts' flash language
----------------------------------------------------
"And I talked to Jesus at the sewer
And the Pope said it was none of his God-damned business"
- Cause by Rodriguez

Part 1

D'ni is an idealized quarry lake, something familiar to kids from middle America. The connection between an underground lake and a quarry is that a quarry would have a water fall and that water fall, if it eroded a hole in the ground forever would eventually in the minds eye become an underground lake, And, anyway, somehow fresh water does make its way down through the earth to D'ni. As a quarry is hidden away in the woods for people to enjoy together so is D'ni hidden deep underground yet a bustling location. (Or was at one time).

It's culture is of a people that express much of their values through their Archetecture. But also, D'ni was imagined by people working within the limitations of the late 90s 3D rendering. These limitations shaped how D'ni was written about in the novels. The novels talk about large buildings the size of city blocks, and that those buildings were pentagonal in shape causing the streets to zigzag, limiting field of view and which could help the computer render the space. Also the buildings would be flat and large, and easy to render. These were aspects of D'ni that were abandoned during the development of URU.

If one knew how to talk to buildings D'ni buildings would say the absolute least out of all buildings, except in a very large way such as in color or in shape. D'ni buildings wouldn't be like modern talkative buildings that are trying to artistically convey or though the private language of Archetecture express an aesthetic. D'ni buildings would know you were a reader, a listener, and so they wouldn't hide in anyway that one would even get the sense that the building was hiding anything. Atrium as a public space in a D'ni building would be it's heart, not it's front door. Walls would house living quarters. In that sense each building would be almost a reflection or pre-echo of the cleft.

The space between D'ni buildings would speak of class, career and of use. Very utilitarian with very little "hang out" space. Remember, Libraries are something completely different in D'ni.

D'ni should give the feeling of stepping into a underground library city, the feeling of stepping into a long dead train station, expanded like a lung.

Part 2

Nara is described as having to the touch the volume and structure of bone, the temperature of hard wood, the texture of stone, the tensil of steal and the hardness of diamond. One of the most common methods of manipulating Nara is through its manufacture to be extruded at extremely high temperatures. It can be made into any number of shapes. The closest idea we would have for it would be a molten concrete material that solidified into a flexible ceramic. With modern scientific understanding of "unbreakable materials" we can imagine that Nara is a spontaneously forming internal weave of carbon nanotubes, and maybe some sort of flash sound wave temperature destabilization/destabilization to allow it to be manipulated at such high temperatures with out damaging the tools being used.
>opinion
I never liked the in game Arch because it looked like it was trying to hard. Also, I inferred a Japanese shape to the top of this sketch that I found lacking in the game's design. And it wasn't big enough. The Arch in the sketch in the book expressed Ancient and lasting style Huge and strong and expressing the extreme of what stability can achieve, as if it was metal and we were ants.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

I find D'ni architecture takes a lot of inspiration from Japanese architecture as well as Byzantine and art-deco. One of the recurring shapes in D'ni architecture is the trapezoid. You can see it all over Gehn's lab as well as many buildings in the cavern, notably Kerath's Arch.

Also, when I asked Josh Staub about this way back when, he said to me it was a mixture of "human and the machine". D'ni aesthetics relies heavily on combining beauty and tradition with large monstrous technology.

I'm kind of fond of the arch honestly. At first I was a bit like WTF after reading the novels, but then I grew to find the design a lot more appealing and memorable than the standard arch design as presented in the BoA sketch. I think this is an example of Cyan's iconic art direction. I kind of wish they hadn't allowed David Wingrove to define the arch's look before Cyan did. I think had the arch been the original design, D'ni wouldn't have looked as interesting or iconic. The point of the new Kerath's arch is that it stands out because of how odd it is. That's why its instantly recognizable and memorable.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:39 am 
Obduction Backer

What are the aim and the destination of the essay? I don’t get the relation between part 1 and 2, and what the conclusion is. Some references (sketches, novels, interviews, etc) would be good. Also, sorry being the grammar nazi, but if it’s even a bit formal, you’ll need a bit of spell checking.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:27 am 
Obduction Backer

D'ni Architecture Essay APrt 3
Darkness, black textures, Amber fading into dark hollows, Liquid Cold Liquid Gold light.

Lit from Below with a bright amber light, I say bright because it supposedly carries a faded light and day of a city. So it wouldn't make sense for it to be anything other than magically radiant, cheating by digitally carrying the light farther for longer with the same potency, moving in waves echoing up from the lake. The Great Lake. The Great Words. The Great Cavern. The Great Road.

An essay on D'ni Architecture, part 3

Size.

The D'ni lived in a dichotomy of Volume limitations but amazing size. Though D'ni was a populated city and Empire the denizens of the City had a overflow area in the Ages so that the city never would feel either overpopulated nor deserted. Walking was reserved for formal messengers, formal visits, formal public events, and I imagine formal public convergences of thought, eating in public, congresses of planning, great planning.

For pictures go here der
http://nueral.tumblr.com/post/119664017 ... g-bringing
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Last edited by Graizur on Sun May 24, 2015 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

Graizur wrote:
The D'ni lived in a dichotomy of Volume limitations but amazing size. Though D'ni was a populated city and Empire the denizens of the City had a overflow area in the Ages so that the city never would feel either overpopulated nor deserted. Walking was reserved for formal messengers, formal visits, formal public events, and I imagine formal public convergences of thought, eating in public, congresses of planning, great planning.

Your image is too one-sided. D'ni was a living city, and people lived in it, with all that entails. This is even more so because they lived in a society that was divided into a fairly rigid class structure with seven levels.

What you describe might have been true for the elite of D'ni, but never for the poor. Think of England around AD 1700 or so. The upper classes had comfortable transportation, good food, vacation estates to live in or visit in private Ages, and many things to brighten their lives. The middle classes had good enough quarters to be comfortable and had a bit of leisure time and money to purchase the occasional luxury or amusement. The lower classes didn't.

The poor of D'ni were restricted to crowded, often shoddily built districts and might have been able to visit a common garden Age a handful of times in their lives, if they could get away from work. Often, those Ages were rejects made by students of the Art who hadn't graduated from guild schooling yet. The common library for the lower classes in the City was mainly stocked with books that were stable enough not to be burned as unsafe, but never something an upper class D'ni would visit. The poor were rarely allowed to mix even with the middle classes.

As for walking... That was the normal method of transportation for all classes of D'ni. For formal events, one might be carried in a palanquin and servants did the walking for you. That was not normal, though. D'ni is filled with narrow corridors and stairs, so motorized vehicles were pretty much used to travel long distances in the tunnels connecting the caverns, not on city streets.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

I like the challenges you are presenting to me, I will respond with relevancy after processing.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

This is what I imagine Poor D'ni music is like
http://youtu.be/3BqPnq9Ysak
[Reveal] Spoiler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=560EpNc2rKg
[Reveal] Spoiler:

D'ni Archetecture Essay 4
So D'ni Architecture.
I do wonder why I am using the word baroque in my mind, as I am aping language I've seen on TV or something. I didn't go to art school. I didn't know that "In art criticism the word Baroque came to be used to describe anything irregular, bizarre, or otherwise departing from established rules and proportions." I only ever heard it used that way in conversation by caricatures of artists in media.
And it becomes a bit of a rabbit hole, reading through the artistic descriptions stemming from this word Baroque. Bahro.
When I look at ornate and opulent baroque interiors (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ystage.jpg) I don't see D'ni arcetectural style. And if I were to have to use Baroque archetecture as a starting point I would say that D'ni is an oppressed baroque style. Oppressed Bahro, being what MYST 5 was about, and the idea of D'ni infrastructure being oppressed Bahro seemed to be implied what with their direct connection to linking, age changes, and their wings being the means of a link being a dark vanishing vwoooom.

But yeah, Oppressed Baroque also brings me back to this theme of what variables were in place at the starting of MYST's creation as a game. How the limitations became features so to speak. It also reminds me of when my dad told me the story of the restoration of the Sistine Chapel, how art co osiers praised the ceiling for its bold use of dark Browns and blacks, mistaking years of soot for artistic choice when in reality the Sistine Chapel was painted and seen originally as bright and pink and bright blue.

If a picture is worth a thousand words the first picture of K'veer in the book of Atrus was to me an essay in and of itself on D'ni Archtecture. Internal. Taking advantage of all things solid. Impeccable placement. The few little squares, triangles and swoops drawn onto a lump of black, this is K'veer.
Obviously Cyan decided to go in a different direction. And in doing so, I think lost some of the features, those limitations that were oh so valuable to the creative process.

What kind of people live for thousands of years in a cavern and leave it a cavern? That was the thing that I kept coming back these last couple of days, trying to justify taking a 15 year old stance on a charchol sketch, in a video game tie in novel.
Long after others more enfranchised have finished being paid to take it in the other direction.
[Reveal] Spoiler:

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:07 am 
Obduction Backer

I wonder too, as D’ni architecture rather resembles Art Nouveau.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 4:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

Originality or hiding ones source inspiration is an effective way at avoiding being poorly compared to other work. I thought Antonio Gaudi made amazing stuff, and I had seen archetecture influenced by his work in Earth: Final Conflict and The Maxx. But Gaudi is Gaudi and it's rare that I see Art Neuvo that even registers as something other than stucco and over design.

There is this book called The Amazing Race about barefoot running. In it there are descriptions of how humans have a special ability to run and breath at the same time allowing us to effectively outrun any animal on the planet as long as we don't quit. The big challenge with this is tracking. In order to effectively track an animal the brain computer thing must simulate the animal in ones mind and then run that simulation so that we understand how the animal behaves. The word capacity comes to mind. To hold a multitude of interconnected systems in ones head, not as individual systems, running, smelling, biting, but running the whole simulation.

When I saw the images of the D'ni buildings, The Arch and K'veer, along with the descriptions of Nara and how though huge and stone and solid The Arch looked like it had dried thin, that was when I began to imagine Nara, how it could be a cool element of design, where it could go wrong, and how to excentuate it's characteristics without trying too hard.

Apple products are amazing because they balance form and function. Sure, there is an end epresult in mind and the creation of the product aims for that goal, the materials, the limitations, the manufacturing process all illuminate the end result. Am I saying this right?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

So, I just moved to Denver this February and examples of giant pentagon ally based yet eccentric based buildings were hiding in plan site. Up close the materials this building is build with make it come across as blank and cheap, but the 3D blurred render gives a sense of what it would look like if it was baked on the spot from malleable lava. Image
This one actually reminds me of descriptions form Book Of Ti'anna.