It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:28 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Will you upgrade to Windows 10?
Yes 38%  38%  [ 20 ]
No 30%  30%  [ 16 ]
I don't know yet 32%  32%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 53
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:50 am 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Nalates wrote:
Businesses have resisted updating because of purchase and training costs.

There's an element of that but it's far from the whole story. Most (largish) enterprises actually deferred updating from XP over concerns about compatibility with business critical software systems and hardware. The cost of replacing those vastly outweighed any purchase or training cost associated with the OS as they are often tailored or bespoke systems. Many of these companies (like mine) have their PCs on a lease basis and get them replaced on a regular basis and have to buy a downgrade on the OS on new PCs, so it's a case of incurring one cost to offset a much larger one.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:46 pm 

To those who say they wont upgrade, you could apply to get the license key while its free, and just hold onto it until you're ready. I remember when I was upgrading from win 7 to win 8, they offered me the media package for free. I got the key and put it away. 6 months later I decided I could use it, and the key was still good. Hey, it's an option...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:49 pm 

Good point.

In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

I plan on waiting to see if it's actually decent before upgrading. And I like that idea about getting the license key and holding onto it.

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:08 am 

H_E_LL NO! Windows 10 is a Trojan horse ALL THE WAY!
No Privacy 100% W10 is ALL Online in the BCCS (Borg Cloud Control System)
so MS can view, see & hear everything you do online even if you use encryption cause
MS keeps your encryption key for safe keeping! :shock: which just makes encrypting
anything waste of time, MS or NSA Its only 1 way MS/NSA can use.
MS already can walk right into your Win10 PC and do what
ever they want without YOU EVER knowing that they were even there!
This has been done too almost EVERY program an app in the New Evil Win10 OS!
and other companies partnered with MS are starting to do as well!

MS already has begun taking away all backwards compatibility and is changing everything
to the NEW EVIL CODE! What I mean by this is;

All PC's in the old days were all coded to fight against all bad evil code
( spyware, virii, bad scripts, and the like ) MS has learned to tame virii, trojan like codes
an make them work for MS in their New Evil Code frame which goes against most all prior code,
( the duality )
Win10 Automatic Updates uses a p2p platform, and MS bought the PanoBOT network
recently, which also runs on the p2p platform, and MS has just upgraded their
Windows Automatic Update program for Win10, whuch they pumped out to everyone
along with many other badies whih MS had to pull 2 updates because they were
Bricking users PC's around the world not just here in the USA.

STAY AWAY from Windows 10 like the plauge!

btw anyone have a iso of a already activated Windows 7 pro laying around? :mrgreen:

Yep MS almost bricked my Win7 pro PC and it will be bricked when and if I ever reboot
this thing cause I'm afraid its not going boot back up again after MS tried or did alter
my system and inject that nasty "Free upgrade to Windows 10" malware in my taskbar
with out my consent the last WAU session I had a few days ago!!!
I was stripped out of all the security on most major files and folders on my PC, corrupted my
registry and put in a group policy (in which I never had until ) auditing my admin account!
IMO, dam you MS To the laws to which you are above, catch up with you and
put you out of bussiness for good!

(same goes for any other company who follows MS in their lawlessness!)
IMHO

URU - KI - Atrus 03668735, Katran 00982487,
URUb - KI - 00356281

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:08 am 
Obduction Backer

VoiZod wrote:
Yep MS almost bricked my Win7 pro PC and it will be bricked when and if I ever reboot
this thing cause I'm afraid its not going boot back up again after MS tried or did alter
my system and inject that nasty "Free upgrade to Windows 10" malware in my taskbar

I hear that if you keep praying it'll fix everything. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

You mean the ‘Zaida Retiqula’ (quot.) demon aliens are the actual programmers of Windows 10? Creepy...

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:49 pm 

If you do want to upgrade to Win10, keep in mind that you have to first request a copy and then wait before you can download it.

I forgot to return to the thread.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm already beginning to upgrade some of my work computers. Many of my customers are also opting for the upgrade.

If you have 8/8.1, it's a no-brainer. Windows 10 is what 8 should have been in the first place, just as 7 is what Vista should have been.

If you're on 7, it's a tougher choice, but 10 is a better memory manager and the underpinnings are more secure.

Yes, Windows 10 is supposed to be the last installable OS Microsoft will sell. From here on out, IIRC, they are going to be issuing incremental upgrades through the Windows updates. Whether or not they will charge anything for them is unknown to me. Either way, it's not like they won't be making money off the OS -- with over 75% market share for all OS installed on computers, they can still rake it in from manufacturer PC licenses, volume licenses, and the occasional custom PC builder wanting to install it. It's not like they will lose all that much money; considering that somewhere around 25% of Windows PCs are still on XP, and a great many are still running Vista, the upgrade market has always been rather sluggish anyway. Businesses in particular are very conservative about OS upgrades because they don't want the expense and loss of productivity involved. Heck, I just performed some printer installations at a local Walmart, and they are still running a customized DOS variant on machines that pretty much match the age of the OS. ^_^;

Emor D'ni Lap wrote:
I had been concerned that the offer made it sound as if Microsoft, like seemingly every other software company out there, was going to be moving to an annual subscription basis rather than a purchased product.

But this post pretty much puts that concern to rest: not only is the upgrade free for the first year, but all updates will be free for the life of the device the OS is installed to....in other words, they're essentially saying there will be no Windows 11.

Hard to believe Microsoft is being that altruistic :lol: - the skeptic part of me is saying "there's gotta be a catch here somewhere!"
I'll probably wait out most of that first year, to see what the guinea-pigs have to say about it!

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

I’ll wait the .1 version as I usually do.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

korovev wrote:
I’ll wait the .1 version as I usually do.

While I normally would do the same, this time it might not be an option. The free upgrade for 7 & 8 will only last for a year, so if they don't issue the service pack version before the year is up, you could end up paying somewhere around $125 for something you could have had free. I'm figuring July of 2016 as the cutoff.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tomala wrote:
VoiZod wrote:

I hear that if you keep praying it'll fix everything. :mrgreen:

I wrap my PC in a blanket so it doesn't catch any viruses.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:12 am 

So far, Windows 10 has offered me zero advantages over 7, and several disadvantages. I stuck with XP through Vista, and I'll stick with 7 until something better comes out... or I finally switch to Linux.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:23 pm 

I suspect many people on Win7 will see it the same way, Twitch. If you're currently on 8/8.1 then 10 seems to have something to offer.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

It seems to me that 8 and 8.1 boot faster than 7, even with fast startup disabled. I'm fine with 8.1 and I will wait awhile to upgrade to 10 on my desktop, but I will before the year is out for DX12 capabilities. It seems like some of these security issues people are worried about were also present in 8, but no one knew about it because no one bothered with 8.

I am bothered by the fact that updates cannot be controlled by the user. Low power processors do fine for everyday use if there are no windows updates occurring during use, but quickly bog down when updates kick in. I have a friend who just purchased a 10 laptop and a wireless hotspot. I hope that the auto updating does not cost him down the road. When I had only a wireless hotspot, I took my laptop to work to update it.

The one laptop I upgraded to 10 is about to be a Ubuntu guinea pig. Not that I had any trouble with 10, but the problems that I had before I upgraded, and that seemed to be cured, came back within a month. Now to decide what to load 10 on next...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next