It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:37 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Will you upgrade to Windows 10?
Yes 38%  38%  [ 20 ]
No 30%  30%  [ 16 ]
I don't know yet 32%  32%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 53
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

With this thread I’ve came to almost like MS policy :mrgreen:
Those who care about privacy or have a limited data plan do have ways to configure Windows 10 (and if they were really serious about it, they should also stop using any service from Microsoft, Apple, Google, Facebook, Twitter, Dropbox, Evernote, any other web service, use a Xen-based OS and maybe start using a darknet for anything but trivial surfing – forget about playing any game, though).
For those ‘not into computers’ or who simply don’t care, the new OS will in most cases do the thinking for them and hopefully solve year-old problems like cronically un-updated systems that might be, unknowingly to the user, part of a botnet. By the way, being on Linux doesn’t exempt people from using an antivirus.

Besides, with all the controversy, 10.1 is likely to come out in a few months with many of the new ‘features’ disabled.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:35 pm 

Right now I have Windows 10 installed on a cheap ten year old (or so) laptop, for testing purposes, to see how bad it really is. It runs surprisingly well, certainly better than Ubuntu, which nowadays seems to have Apple level of fancy graphical effects. Windows 10 isn't that bad in that regard. Unlike Windows 8 it looks like a fully functional *desktop* operating system. There is a start menu that works mostly like it did before, although it did receive this new "Metro" look. Touch-style apps can now run in their own window, which makes them more usable than with Windows 8 (where AFAIK they can only run fullscreen).

The "Get Windows 10" campaign is what first made me dubious about updating, before that I was almost certainly going to upgrade, once the OS was well-tested and Apple got Boot Camp and the drivers updated (which they have now). Then came all of those "privacy is important to us" settings that are by default configured to make you share all the things with Microsoft, more or less. Heck, I didn't even connect my test laptop to the internet for an entire day after installing Windows 10, those settings made me kind of paranoid. At least most of the data leaks can be disabled, and to be honest I can live with being forced to send my system specs and crash logs. (For what it's worth, they say that they won't use and share diagnostic data for purposes other than troubleshooting/bugfixing.) The real issue with this is that most users won't care to look through all settings, and those users' privacy will be at risk.

Now the computer is online and uses a fake Microsoft account, just in case. Windows Update worked as expected, suddenly I had working drivers for my ten year old hardware (which was actually kind of impressive). No bad surprises yet, but I think I'll wait a little longer, just to see how things turn out.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:40 am 

korovev wrote:
For those ‘not into computers’ or who simply don’t care, the new OS will in most cases do the thinking for them and hopefully solve year-old problems like cronically un-updated systems that might be, unknowingly to the user, part of a botnet.

So being in an involuntary botnet is okay if it's owned by a billion dollar company?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:32 am 
Obduction Backer

Better than having outdated systems in actually malicious botnets, yes. At least you know who is doing it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:47 am 

korovev wrote:
Better than having outdated systems in actually malicious botnets, yes. At least you know who is doing it.

While antivirus programs block drive-by viruses and some embedded ones, the vast majority of viruses that make their way onto people's computers aren't flagged because they got there by people clicking "Accept" to everything in an installer. I guarantee that most malicious botnets will continue to work just fine on Windows 10, because people do stupid things like those free PC repair programs that do nothing but load your system up with bloatware when you click accept. Windows XP, 7, and 8 all had some form of virus protection too, and it all sucked. Why would Windows 10's updates/antivirus be any different? They can't make up for a lack of common sense.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:14 am 
Former MystOnline Moderator

None of which counters korovev's point that to have an effective defence against malware you must keep your OS up-to-date with the latest securty patches. So, just as you say that users need to exercise common sense, they first need an awareness of what is sensible. For those who don't have that awareness, forcing the updates deals with it for them; those who do have the awareness will do it anyway and this makes it one less thing to do manually.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:41 am 

I have read a few ways online to disable the forced updates. I'm sure those who know what they doing will be able to figure out how to disable the forced updates.

I forgot to return to the thread.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:18 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
I have read a few ways online to disable the forced updates

So have I, but I still prefer to get the updates of my Windows 10 OS anyhow asap, in order to avoid the unwanted usage by intruders of new found potential leaks. If needed just delay the restart.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:17 am 

Shorah I did some research on Windows 10 and this is what I found. Most disturbing IMHO.

Everyone should avoid W10 like the plague.

Microsoft now owns Pando Networks, famous for the malware/botnet Pando Media Booster.

Windows Update in Windows 10 utilizes P2P by default, most likely the same P2P technology used by Pando Media Booster.

Essentially it turns your PC into a zombie host server, wasting your bandwidth serving updates to other computers.

This also means Windows Update might be utilized later to spread malware through the P2P system via 0days.

You cannot turn off "Telemetry" unless you own Windows 10 Enterprise Edition.
This means your computer will continuously leak unspecified information to Microsoft and there's no way of turning this off.

You cannot turn off "Real-time Protection", aka Windows Defender. Even if you do it will turn itself on again after a while.

This means you cannot prevent your PC from sending random files and information to Microsoft for "analysis".

"Device encryption helps protect the data stored on your device by encrypting it using BitLocker Drive Encryption technology. When device encryption is on, Windows automatically encrypts the drive Windows is installed on and generates a recovery key. The BitLocker recovery key for your device is automatically backed up online in your Microsoft OneDrive account. "

Microsoft takes your encryption key and stores it "for your own good", meaning that all the NSA needs to do is ask them kindly for it, they don't even need to bypass the encryption.

"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to"

They can download every single file off your computer and charge you with copyright violation. Enjoy going to court and producing reciepts or chatlogs that justify every video, song, and picture on your hard drive.

Why are you surprised ? Wake up !

In this dimension every beings are feeding on lower forms of life. The richs on poorers or the stronger on the weakers forms. Some call it "the darwin effect". Microsoft is feeding on us and like all "elites" and are looking for more gold.

Kadish kwew his history very well and us... not so well. (The river full of gold. Gen 2:10)

You cannot turn off "Telemetry" unless you own Windows 10 Enterprise Edition.

This means your computer will continuously leak unspecified information to Microsoft and there's no way of turning this off.

Is this by chance what is described as "diagnostic and usage data" in this FAQ?

Simply put, the three levels are as follows:

1. System specs, "basic error reporting", and data on "what is installed" on your computer. The last point is kind of worrisome, though it isn't clear what exactly it means. It might just be the list of apps you got from the Windows Store, which Microsoft most likely has already anyway.

2. Memory dumps at crash time, "how frequently or how long you use certain features or apps and which apps you use most often" and measurements of "reliability of devices, the operating system, and apps". They also say that with this option enabled, they can "provide you with an enhanced and personalized Windows experience", which probably means "targeted ads" and such.

3. "System files or memory snapshots". Though they say that "if an error report contains personal data, we won’t use that information to identify, contact, or target advertising to you."

MS is trying to take over and rule the internet World Wide NOT just here in the USA.

BCCS - Borg Cloud Control System Is just that literaly! You will be assemulated eventually.

Why does it seem like everything is slowing down on the internet including
most all New PC/Multi player Games you can only get up to 30fps to 60fps in,
when you use to get 128 to 360+ fps in those same games!

The newest version of windows update for, Win10, was Forcably changed &
upgraded, on ALL who had their WAU (windows automatic updates) set on auto, and
the other fact is WAU "used to" detect what version of windows the user had and any MS programs
like Office etc. the user might have on their PC, then only gave you the updates you needed.
MS WAU no longer does this so MS bricked around 100k PCs or more around the world
This is NOT the only time MS has done this Blatent disreguard for laws and human rights!

Trust is going fast!

Once great companies and programmers who offered
GOOD software and security, anti-virus-spy-malware etc. selling out to MS or turn bad
with MS'es trojan like spyware virii that make up apart of the program or app
your running because now its apart of the vast growing BCCS, it also makes the
programs 10 times bigger on memory an resources than they need to be,
Then to top it off the companies etc. don't tell anyone.(usually a MS partner afil)

[the fact is anything within the BCCS MS and partners can see and hear (through Skype),
literally everything you do on your Win10 PC and devices! Without you EVER knowing about it!
--that Win10 is 90% online so you don't have a clue if your online or off, wonder if it would
even boot properly if the PC was disconnected from the internet before rebooting,...
Would it even come up?

[Edited to meet forum policy]

URU - KI - Atrus 03668735, Katran 00982487,
URUb - KI - 00356281

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:13 am 
Obduction Backer

How to disable Telemetry and Data Collection in Windows 10

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:28 am 

korovev wrote:
How to disable Telemetry and Data Collection in Windows 10

Has this been tested with wireshark?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

I dunno.

Telemetry is coming to Windows 7 and 8, anyway (if it isn’t already there), so it’s not like staying behind is any better.

Unless you choose to never update again and prefer the security holes. Or change OS; I’ve been told Qubes OS is fairly secure.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

Put on your tinfoil hat, folks! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Man, this guy is always smoking some good stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

korovev wrote:
I dunno.

Telemetry is coming to Windows 7 and 8, anyway (if it isn’t already there), so it’s not like staying behind is any better.

Unless you choose to never update again and prefer the security holes. Or change OS; I’ve been told Qubes OS is fairly secure.

Telemetry can be avoided on Windows 7 if you do a quick search on which updates not to install.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:50 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

korovev wrote:
I’ve been told Qubes OS is fairly secure.

Just to clarify, Qubes OS is reasonably secure - not fairly secure.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next