It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:25 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Will you upgrade to Windows 10?
Yes 38%  38%  [ 20 ]
No 30%  30%  [ 16 ]
I don't know yet 32%  32%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 53
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:24 am 

VoiZod wrote:
cpt-jericho: Are you implying that everything that people produce with Microfoft applications do belong to Microsoft ? Is Windows 10 a freebe or are we able to buy a copy ?

No, I was implying that Win10 "free upgrade" is by no means free. You pay for it with your older license.
Anyway, I hope MS stops its futile attempt to push its spyware OS on me when the "free" offer expires. I get tired from checking each patchday if the offered updates don't include yet another attempt to push Win10 on unknowing "Generation Internet" kids.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:17 am 
Former MystOnline Moderator

cpt-jericho wrote:
Anyway, I hope MS stops its futile attempt to push its spyware OS on me when the "free" offer expires. I get tired from checking each patchday if the offered updates don't include yet another attempt to push Win10 on unknowing "Generation Internet" kids.
Yes, I'm irritated that KB3035583 gets "unhidden" every time MS amends some of it's behaviour. I'd prefer that when you uninstall an update and hide it that stays hidden, but I can also see that in some other cases it might be better if a previously declined update is re-offered if it gets updated, so I guess the GWX behaviour isn't "abnormal".

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

Is there a list somewhere of all the updates you should avoid?

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:29 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

FYI - I was asked to diagnose why a company's Windows 10 network wasn't browsing (showing) the various computers on the network. I found that there is an existing issue in Windows 10 build 10586 (their build) where it is not broadcasting NetBT or RAP requests when searching for the devices on the network and only uses WSD protocol. If you navigate to Explorer > Network and changed to Details view and then add 'Discovery Method' to the column bar you should see that if you are discovering any devices they are more than likely only being found via WSD. This is fixed in build 11102. Find your build by opening a command prompt or 'Run...' (WinKey + R) from the start button, and entering "winver".

This is one reason why I wait a very long time to upgrade, if at all (Win 8.x), and am not an early adopter. "Free" is sometimes not worth the cost.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

KathAveara wrote:
Is there a list somewhere of all the updates you should avoid?

This is the list I've been using.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2444042

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:48 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

If you are only concerned with avoiding the Windows 10 nag and update, this simple set of registry entries has worked well for me. Save to a .reg file and apply with the registry editor:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx]
"DisableGwx"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
"DisableOSUpgrade"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]
"AllowOSUpgrade"=dword:00000000
"ReservationsAllowed"=dword:00000000

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:57 pm 

JWPlatt wrote:
If you are only concerned with avoiding the Windows 10 nag and update, this simple set of registry entries has worked well for me. Save to a .reg file and apply with the registry editor:

That's basically what I do too. The only update that I hide is the one that contains the GWX app (KB3035583), and then I set some registry keys and the Windows 10 upgrade disappears from Windows Update. I do install the updates to the Windows Update client and those that claim to "improve the upgrade experience" and such, as I plan to upgrade to Windows 10 at some point so I get my permanent digital entitlement. If it turns out to be horrible and unusable for me for some reason, I can still go back to Windows 7 and possibly upgrade again later.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:52 am 

KB:3068708
KB:3022345
KB:2952664
KB:2670838
KB:2990214
KB:3035583
KB:971033
KB:3021917
KB:3044374
KB:3075249
KB:3080149
KB:3065987
KB:3050265
KB:2976978
KB:2977759
KB:3050267
KB:2922324
KB:3014460
KB:3015249
KB:3075851

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:33 pm 

Mac_Fife wrote:
None of which counters korovev's point that to have an effective defence against malware you must keep your OS up-to-date with the latest securty patches. So, just as you say that users need to exercise common sense, they first need an awareness of what is sensible. For those who don't have that awareness, forcing the updates deals with it for them; those who do have the awareness will do it anyway and this makes it one less thing to do manually.

REMEMBER WW2? and how Hitler took away all its sovereign citizens peoples rights through scaring and fear
false flag ops, basicly Hitler took away any right to defend ones self etc. through
the VERY SAME ACTS that are now in place in the USA! (the titles are just changed),
-- The patriot act,
-- The National security act,
-- The American freedom act,
-- The National Defence Auth act for...
-- The Military Tribunal act

ALL these acts are designed to destroy our sibyl liberties & our ability to fight back!!!

MS is doing the very SAME THING! but 'online' instead! Just as Mac F said above,
(IT IS with the "Automation"...Windows Automatic updates!)

I dislike Automation because it is how MS is taking over the internet an our ability to FIGHT BACK!
Believe me I have tried, I NEVER have had Windows auto update on "auto" I would religiously click on
each update (more info link) that would take me to the MS website to find out more about the
'said update' I was inquiring about. Well I found it very difficult if not impossible to find because
MS has state to put their updates in Packs! just great! plus over half the security updates they send out
are IMHO Bogas and agenda based. Why? check this out read some of those Urgent vulnerability security update info,
Say crazy stupid stuff when you look them up like the attacker woul have to logon localy with the right security
credentials an P/W then they would have to run a special program to take over your PC!
This is just stupid ( I'm on a land line DSL connection, NO Weaponised WI-FI that will,
give you cancer and KILL you the more your around it the faster your life will go! FACT!
and I live alone, makes all these updates mute and laughable considering my previous post.

Although I guess for all those sheeple blindly believing what ever MS says, using Win10
which is 'online in the BCCS' maybe these updates might do some good? trololol MS is just making
it easier for them to get into/control your PC so you don't have too!!! how nice is that? :x

MS HAS TAMED THE VIRUS!!! maybe thats why we do not see as many of the virii, trojans, worms etc.
in the wild anymore as compared to 5 years ago, night an day difference.

-------------------------------//

Question: If you found out beyond ANY Dough 100% act no lie, that ALL the devices,
cell phones, hand held electronic gadgets, now including; light bulbs analog being switched out for digital,
The whole Electrical system killed/(switched out) for the "SMART" Grid system,
All household appliances are slowly being switched out as to be inducted into the "SMART" Grid system
So the "EVIL ELITE" can control them as well as "SOFT KILL" anyone who uses this Deadly evil tech.
(agenda21).

Would you stop using it, and start speaking out to stop and change it?
(We the people are the only ones that can! better hurry before like frogs in a kettle its too late.)

ONLY PROBLEM with this Smart Grid system is; IT IS ALL Combined together there are NO fail safes no
fuses to blow out, NO SECURITY what so ever!

Before this "smart" Grid crap, We have things set to fuse boxes,
You blow a fuse in the basement of your home no power, but the rest of the house is still powered.
With the "Smart" Grid Everything is hooked up together!
so say if power goes out in one area of the city you live in, the power goes out for the WHOLE CITY!!!

Now take that fact an combine it with the ENTIRE COUNTRY (the internet is included)! :shock:
Now all that needs to happen is for some haxor to hax the (no security grid) place a virii which would
take whole thing down putting mankind into the stone age over night!

Fact: We can make all these deadly devices which regrettably most are ALL addicted too in some way.
CAN BE MADE NOT AS Deadly and actually some of it can be made quite safe, BUT anything
beneficial or good is immediately hidden away from the human race in general. :(
This is just one of the many things that NEEDS TO CHANGE ASAP!

Tesla was the TRUE Alpha & Omaga of this time an age!

URU - KI - Atrus 03668735, Katran 00982487,
URUb - KI - 00356281

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:11 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Maybe find a more constructive way to convince others and effect change than invoke Godwin's Law.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:07 am 
Obduction Backer

Sibyl liberties are notoriously open to interpretation.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:24 am 
Obduction Backer

VoiZod wrote:
REMEMBER WW2? and how Hitler took away all its sovereign citizens peoples rights through scaring and fear
false flag ops, basicly Hitler took away any right to defend ones self etc. through
the VERY SAME ACTS that are now in place in the USA!

And on that note, I think it is time for this topic to be closed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:47 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
VoiZod wrote:
our sibyl liberties
*headdesk*

If you can't spell the word correctly, then it appears you're simply repeating something you've heard and don't truly understand what it means.

It's civil liberties.

Civil liberties

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:22 am 
Creative Kingdoms

VoiZod wrote:
sibyl liberties
korovev wrote:
Sibyl liberties are notoriously open to interpretation.
Tai'lahr wrote:
It's civil liberties.

Wow. You know, I physically couldn't actually read VoiZod's post all the way through, so I missed that. What I actually thought was that korovev made a sly and sarcastic reference to "Sybil," the book (and movie) about the woman with Dissociative Identity Disorder (thought to have been faked to some extent) whose mother was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. Maybe I shouldn't go into the meaning I realize now that I only imagined korovev was invoking with a play on words, but I thought it was he with the faulty orthography. Thanks for clearing that up, Tai'! My mistake.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:43 am 
Obduction Backer

I was actually referring to greek oracles ;) .

I see two problems. First, there’s no limit to paranoia. I mean, who’s to guarantee that Torvald didn’t put a backdoor or something in the Linux kernel? Can you trust your ISP? What if by disabling the autoupdate you activate a secret alternative monitoring code? What if Cyan is a subsidiary of the CIA?

Second, by the look of it, it’s not ‘the people’ the main target, it’s ‘foreign companies’. Microsoft (or the NSA) doesn’t care one bit about ‘you’, unless you’re, say, a chief engineer in a big european or chinese IT company (and in that case, you should already know what to do).

Besides, some people already do all by themselves, by insulting their boss on Facebook then wondering how they got fired.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next