It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:05 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:21 am 

zeke3651 wrote:
I think you guys need to read this tread a few years back might answer some of your questions.

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=26910

The summary for TL;DR peeps... the big obstacle to moving MOULa over is Cyan licensing of their content. Cyan has given us every reason to think that will never happen. Things change with time. Whether Cyan will or won't change is speculation.

I do expect more fans to start using these new engines for building Myst like ages.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Nalates wrote:
the big obstacle to moving MOULa over is Cyan licensing of their content. Cyan has given us every reason to think that will never happen. Things change with time. Whether Cyan will or won't change is speculation.

I do expect more fans to start using these new engines for building Myst like ages.

Exactly. But as cool as it is to build 'Myst-like' worlds, it's not the same as being able to actually build stories and places that can mesh into the Uru/Myst canon. Whish is exactly what most of us want. (educated guess on my part here).

As a content creator I am interested in building places that have a story. And being able to have something as great and rich as the Dniverse to build from is wonderful. Both because it gives me a great mythology and environemnt to start from, and also because it allows me to expand that universe in return and make it deeper for others to enjoy.
Back when things were going full swing (circa 2007/8/9-ish) I started building a couple small Ages and a story that integrated into Uru. This was going well, and it was interesting precisely because it integrated well into the larger Uru universe; I couldn't have done that in another game or as a standalone thing.

But eventually I grew frustrated with the tools (that was before Cyan finally released their own tools) and moved on. And now that I use other toolsets and engines (Unreal & Unity) there is no way I am going back to Plasma... :s And I suspect many other community members have moved on for similar reasons.

It is great to see Chogon keeping the lights on, and a couple other projects still going, but with all these other engines, Uru & Plasma are a though sell.

There is still a largely untaped potential here, but now with Cyan focused on Obduction and the community paper thin, I don't really see how things could get better...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
But as cool as it is to build 'Myst-like' worlds, it's not the same as being able to actually build stories and places that can mesh into the Uru/Myst canon. Whish is exactly what most of us want. (educated guess on my part here)

Some, not most. People's goals vary.

In this thread, caveexplorer was asking about turning photos into an interactive tour environment. Nobody mentioned MOUL content at all, not until zeke3651 pointed at that other thread.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:11 am 

aloys wrote:
.... But as cool as it is to build 'Myst-like' worlds, it's not the same as being able to actually build stories and places that can mesh into the Uru/Myst canon. Which is exactly what most of us want. (educated guess on my part here).

There isn't much that keeps anyone from building such additional areas and stories. The few restrictions there are, can be handled in the FCALicense. Jandai Writer and Taimaru Hak did that with their build in Second Life: Crux Isla.

The platform restriction is ONLY for existing MOUL and some other Cyan content.

There is a question as to how newly added fan content will be viewed. Will the creator of that content have control over its licensing after giving it to Cyan for inclusion in MOUL? I suppose that is specified somewhere. But, I haven't looked it up.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

Nalates wrote:
There isn't much that keeps anyone from building such additional areas and stories. The few restrictions there are, can be handled in the FCALicense.

I agree it isn't much, but it is something, as opposed to pretty much any other moddable game out there that does not come with such process. It may not be much but it is enough of an entry barrier to discourage some people.
If you are a game studio trying to attract new content creators to your game the first thing you must do is to make it as easy as possible for them to both create and integrate their stuff. And a very important part of that is to make the existing assets of your game readily available for experimentation, and even publishing. Adding a legal process layer to that is enough to scare away some people.

I understand why Cyan has that in place, it's their creation and they want it to stay coherent. But from a purely 'business' standpoint it is an obstacle in the way of growing a shrinking community.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27336&hilit=age%2Fstory+guidelines

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=15890&hilit=story+guidelines

check these two threads on story and how it is implemented.

plus these two threads that are currently in the work

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=27359

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=25935

it mostly behind the scenes type of stuff hopefully these threads are helpful