It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:10 pm 

Oh gosh I hope hollywood doesn't screw this up!! I also really hope there will be some good female representation in there, because while Katran and Anna were huge parts of the books, Anna got cut out of the games entirely and Katran went missing in Myst IV :( (that's something I've seen Hollywood do a lot, take a franchise with decent female representation--like a book or comic--and marginalize or edit the women out)

I really love Atrus, Katran, and that whole family saga, but I feel like those games tell the story really well already. I'd love to see something new come out of this. I feel like any of the following directions would be great:

- set before the fall of D'ni, using a different cast of characters entirely
- set on Releeshan, during Atrus' lifetime with cameos from him, but chronicling someone else's adventures with the Art
- following what becomes of Mirrim and her husband after the Book of D'ni

I remember that the Myst movie was going to follow the Book of Ti'ana plot, which, well, wasn't really that compatible with cinema... after all, the book does drag a bit--super exposition-heavy--until 2/3rds of the way through, when a whole bunch of events leading to the Fall happen in quick succession (and Anna goes from a more passive to a more active role in the story). They could try filming the Terahnee stuff but that book also kinda dragged in the middle and then everything happened really fast toward the end (Wingroooovvee!! *shakes fist*) The book of Atrus was always my favorite, but like I said before, I don't really trust the show to do the characters we already know (and love) enough justice.

They should totally get Brad Dourif to do a cameo! :D

All I can think about is how much I would love to be the one writing new Myst books or Myst TV screenplays :'D . I guess I will have to satisfy myself with fanfic for now...

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:09 am 

I've concluded that the best way to do the show is to treat the first two or three eps as a 'minseries' that dramatizes the events of the original Myst game, with a modern person as the 'Stranger'-- thru the events of the first eps, he meets & befriends Atrus and is introduced to the D'ni history.... and from there, it goes on with a new, unique story that takes place in the modern day.

Best of all worlds-- this ties it to the canon of Myst, satisfies any demand to feature the game, and rewards long-time fans with all-new adventures.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:18 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
I've always been under the impression that The Stranger is supposed to be You, the player, which is why we've never been given a description of that person - no age, gender, race, etc. Do we really want to mess with that?

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 3:42 am 
Creative Kingdoms

TOOO wrote:
I've always been under the impression that The Stranger is supposed to be You, the player, which is why we've never been given a description of that person - no age, gender, race, etc. Do we really want to mess with that?

We did mess with it.

Dr. Watson told us in one of his appearances in MOUL that he was the person in Myst V, thereby making him The Stranger. I'll try to find the chatlog for that. The reality is that in a private home game, it is fine for any of us to be The Stranger and friend to Atrus. But in the MOUL, a multiuser game, everyone can't make the same claim. So in MOUL, the choice of a single individual was necessary. Dr. Watson made the most sense.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:07 am 
Obduction Backer

But the Stranger of the first four games, and the protagonist of Myst V, are necessarily very different people given the difference in time between them. The only get out is that Dr. Watson is secretly a D'ni, which is very unlikely.

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:50 am 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
TOOO wrote:

We did mess with it.

Dr. Watson told us in one of his appearances in MOUL that he was the person in Myst V, thereby making him The Stranger. I'll try to find the chatlog for that. The reality is that in a private home game, it is fine for any of us to be The Stranger and friend to Atrus. But in the MOUL, a multiuser game, everyone can't make the same claim. So in MOUL, the choice of a single individual was necessary. Dr. Watson made the most sense.

Rawa was the Stranger in Myst 5 (yey retcon) but he wasn't the Stranger of the first 4 games.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:18 am 
Obduction Backer

In Myst/Riven, the Stranger was likely an unidentified surface dweller. The one in Exile/Revelation could have been someone else (unless Atrus had but one ‘old friend’).

Marrim, maybe?

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:21 am 
Obduction Backer

There is no particular reason to remain within the borders of Atrus family, or any of the books or games at all. As long as it remains within the D'ni/Ronay universe and is not ruined by Hollywood cliches, (Like romantic interludes lasting 15 minutes. Heroins tryig to run while being pulled along by some idiot, wearing high heals and offcourse one brakes off, so she splains an ancle. Suspence that depends entirely on the stupidity of ALL characters consistently making the wrong choices at every turn. Remaining unnoticed while talking all the time AND carying torches in the middle of the night. Scientist that apparantly never completed prepschool considering the complete lack of any acurate knowledge and utter conviction in total bullocks. Woman waking up in the morning wearing full makeup and hairdo. Noone ever needing the bathroom, regular meals, sleep, medical care, time to heal. I could go on and on and i have not even started with carchases, gunfights and rich man drinking whisky every hour of the day.) I am fine with it.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:20 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Is Dr. Watson being alive during all the Myst games such an outrageous thought, considering the fantastical and magical premise of the mythology?

Tweek wrote:
Rawa was the Stranger in Myst 5...
Um, needless to say, I'm shocked - shocked! - by this claim, especially coming from you. ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
Is Dr. Watson being alive during all the Myst games such an outrageous thought, considering the fantastical and magical premise of the mythology?

It is a bit out there for my liking, even with it being the original stranger it would have been off given Myst 5 was originally going to be set a good 50 years after Uru.

JWPlatt wrote:
Tweek wrote:
Rawa was the Stranger in Myst 5...
Um, needless to say, I'm shocked - shocked! - by this claim, especially coming from you. ;)

Yeah this is what happens when I'm posting and reading emails from Rawa >.<

:P

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Tweek wrote:
JWPlatt wrote:
It is a bit out there for my liking, even with it being the original stranger it would have been off given Myst 5 was originally going to be set a good 50 years after Uru.
Based on the idea that most of the explorers were descendants of D'ni and Watson may have been, too, it's plausible that he lived a long life.

At the beginning of Myst V, Yeesha's words are somewhat ambivalent about who she is greeting:
Yeesha wrote:
So, friend, the Tablet has responded to you. Of course. If you’re seeking my father, his time has passed. He won’t be requiring your assistance. The Book to his cursed island lays locked and gathering dust in his prison.
However, at the end, Atrus greets the same person with, "Thank you, my old friend. Welcome to Releeshan, this new D’ni."

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

Some people know more than one person they can call ‘old friend’. Incredible, I know :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:45 am 
Obduction Backer

I don't suppose you've heard of artistic lisence? It's fairly well established that the games are not perfect recreations of the events that they describe.

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
In the companion book that came with Myst V, the walkthrough is written as a journal. Unfortunately, I don't have it anymore (now that I have the gog.com version), but I remember that in the scene where Atrus greets the journal-writer as "old friend", the text reads "I didn't have the heart to tell him I wasn't the same person he had known before." (Or words to that effect.)

In other words, the Stranger is the same person in Myst through Revelation, but not in End of Ages.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

The original Stranger is... Keith Richards. He wrote Jumpin’ Jack Flash about his childhood during the Fall.