It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:03 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:12 pm 

In the five myst games, we the player, solve a lot puzzles. Many of the worlds we visit and solve puzzles were written by Atrus. Yet we never really see Atrus solve any puzzles himself.

In Myst he was trapped on K'veer
In Riven he was trapped on K'veer
In Exile the book to J'nanin burned before he could come through
In Revelation he was on Rime
In EOA he was old

While it is probable that he knew the answers to his own puzzle ages, there are some ages he would have had to have solved, if he was there instead of us.

J'nanin, Edanna, Amateria & Voltaic
Spire & Haven and possibly Serenia

yet is there any evidence of Atrus solving puzzles? Could he have done if he had to? If he'd linked to J'nanin with us, would he have faced Saveedro? If he wasn't stuck on Rime, would he have solved Spire and Haven and went on to face his sons?

I think it's an interesting question and one only RAWA or Rand could really answer I think, but we could still discuss it.

PLEASE NOTE ... I am not including any "Magic" ages or puzzles in this question.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

He thought he could work out the puzzle for the book room in J'taeri, until Gehn brute-forced it. And he did very well in the maze in Terahnee. With what we know about his intelligence, curiosity, and determination, I imagine he was an excellent puzzle-solver.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:08 pm 

A writer must be a reader to know what he has written. Since Atrus can write puzzles, he must be able to solve them.

I forgot to return to the thread.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:39 am 
Obduction Backer

Any puzzle designer knows that it's easy to accidentally make a puzzle too hard! :)

(The fact that Atrus creates *solvable* puzzles implies that he's got a good grasp of the subject.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

As the non-player protagonist, Atrus has to be out of the picture somehow so we're free to solve puzzles instead :)

Atrus has demonstrated his problem solving ability on numerous occasions. The D'ni have a natural affinity for puzzles and problem solving. Atrus is a careful thinker - a trait instilled in him by his grandmother and one that all D'ni share (well, not all of em *cough* Gehn *cough*)

Atrus is an engineer and inventor who has made numerous scientific discoveries on his own. This is a guy who almost single handedly taught himself the intricacies of The Art through experimentation alone. He has a comprehensive understanding of mechanical and scientific principles he can apply to almost any problem.