It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Happy Canada Day
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:36 pm 

I would like to wish a 'Happy Canada Day' to my fellow Canadian explorers. :)

Here is an older but cool video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRI-A3vakVg

I forgot to return to the thread.

Post subject: Re: Happy Canada Day
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

Happy Canada Day, Jamie, Annabelle, Rhee and others I've temporarily overlooked :oops:

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:53 pm 

Well... this is an add which in a sense is not really cool (IMO). I don't like commercials at all and more when it is made to sell drug! I don't even find it funny. It's a recollection of clichés.

And don't read the comments because you'll want to leave this country real quick. All those "brains" sharing their "knowledge" about this and that, it's a pity! It's 99,99% of YouTube though.

EDIT: Thanks Acorn :)

Happy Canada Day to my fellow compatriots!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:42 am 
Obduction Backer

Happy Canada Day to all my neighbors :)
I am a few miles to the border and can cross in the wilderness without no one knowing.
Except they fly the border nowadays and have cameras watching.
If any of you are in SL go to "snowtracks" Market Place and get a free Canada Flag
blowing in the wind. A free gift for you :)
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Ca ... EE/6863714

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:02 am 

TrapperDave wrote:
I am a few miles to the border and can cross in the wilderness without no one knowing.

So you are trapping on our side? :lol:

I bet that there are a lot of people crossing the border without even knowing it.

There's one village in Quebec that was built before the completion of the border (Beebe Plain). To cross the border in that particular village, all you need to do is to visit your neighbour across the street:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:09 am 

:lol: :)

I forgot to return to the thread.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

That reminds me of a scene from an old movie :lol:
I couldn’t find a video with subtitles, but the gist is that the customs officer keeps saying: “Who are you? What are you carring? Yes, but how many are you? One florin.”

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:13 am 
Obduction Backer

@ Annabelle :) You are trying to get me in trouble. Did I ever say I trapped?
Trapping is not Politically Correct anymore. I won't say one way or the other.
But my RL nickname is TrapperDave :)
I liked the pic you put up of the road in border village, that's great! :)
There is a lake named Frozen Lake and you can see the border swath cut through the forest.
I am sitting on the border to get the pic. These are film pics I scanned so the
resolution is poor. There is a dirt jeep road leading to this remote lake from both sides of the border but the road ends on each side of this lake and does not connect through. I went fishing there a few times rowing out to the middle of lake and guessing where the imaginary line was through the lake by lining up the swath cut through the forest.
Then I cast my line over into Canada and steal their fish without a license. ( me bad boy):)
I told myself I would never put a pic up of myself, but I am far enough away from the camera so that it didn't break and all bundled up :) The 1st pic is me on edge of a bluff with British Columbia Canada 90% in the background about a half mile away to border. On top of 15 feet of snow. You could drop all of New York City into those mountains and loose it. Next pic is on the way to border and my cat gets stuck in a Royal Canadian snow drift nosing in instead of up and over. Next pic shows a small pass to the right and Canada is right on other side. The next one is high on a ridge going through the pass,it is getting rough to go through seeing the rocks on side of pass. The last pic I am sitting on the border. You can see frozen lake below and the swath of trees cut out to mark the border about 50 ft. wide, no fence just a strip of trees cut out through the woods. Canada on the right and USA to left.It goes on for miles like that and I travel right on the border sometimes. Border Patrol guys come by on their snowcats at times and I wave to them (they know me),but mostly stay down in town in their warm office :) They are checking places like frozen lake where a road leads up from both sides of border looking for shady characters you spoke of. One of them said to me " I have a daughter, if you see any drug runners up here, just bury them in the snow." :)
Happy Canada Day :) including angelmyst :) Our 4th July is next :)
[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:33 am 

@ TrapperDave: I was mostly kidding you, just a play on your nickname :wink:

As you can see on the pictures you provided, those are great by the way, it's not very well defined, I mean the border.

On the very last picture we can see they cut the forest between the 2 countries but without a compass, I wouldn't be able to say which side is which (I know you provided us the side in your description, but let's say I was dropped there.)

The strip of cut wood can also be done for diverse reasons so it's not obivous that a strip like that means a border.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:12 am 
Obduction Backer

oops, sorry, angelmyst, belated happy Canada Day to you too :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

I knew you were kidding Annabelle :) :wink: It doesn't bother me at all. I am know to be a teaser
and do a lot of kidding myself:) According to Wikipedia the border through Montana is: "877 km
(545 mi)." " In 1925, the International Boundary Commission was made a permanent organization
responsible for surveying and mapping the boundary, maintaining boundary monuments (and buoys
where applicable), as well as keeping the boundary clear of brush and vegetation for 6 meters
(20 ft). "
Showing a pic of a monument, this type I call a "spire". This one is near Eureka, MT high on
top a ridge, closest to where I live. We are looking sideways at it, but on opposite sides it is engraved Canada & United States. The aerial pic I did not take myself. But it is surveyed well with a transit and marked with monuments peak to peak. I even read through water it is marked with buoy, but never saw one of these.
--
So if you were dropped off there without a compass you'd be scared to death ( maybe) :lol:
Just kidding, but if you walked the cleared line far enough you'd come to a monument that
might be miles apart. If not you can tell which way North is by many ways. Just look at the
sun and shadows, moss on trees. At night the north star. But one of the best methods is to
sit real quiet in the woods and listen .. however faint you will here "aye" "aye" to the
North. :) No kidding it is a straight perfectly cut line through the forest. But for miles
there are no signs, fences, nothing but a strip cut out in road less areas. Only the major
highways have check stations.
[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler: