It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:31 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Will you upgrade to Windows 10?
Yes 38%  38%  [ 20 ]
No 30%  30%  [ 16 ]
I don't know yet 32%  32%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 53
 Post subject: Will you get Windows 10?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:49 pm 

In the first year of its release Windows 10 will be a free upgrade forWindows Vistia and Windows 7 and Windows 8 users.

So the question is, will you be getting the free upgrade?

My answer is yes.

EDIT: Sorry no upgrade for Vista.

UPDATE: I now have Win10.

I forgot to return to the thread.

Last edited by Jamie Marchant on Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

I don't have a reason to, and don't see anything that I could benefit from at this time. So no.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Are you sure about Vista? I thought it was just for 7 & 8*.

I will upgrade one computer, just as I did for 8. In a library I am often called on to help people with minor computer problems on the laptops they bring in, and I do need some knowledge of the newest operating system, even though our IT guys like to keep our in-house machines one generation back.

Edit: I will probably upgrade my personal Windows 7 machines. I actually prefer 8.1 to 7 as it does truly seem faster and less demanding on resources. I do tend to disable fast startup, so it is not as fast as it would normally be.

Last edited by Wafna on Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:26 pm 

Wafna wrote:
Are you sure about Vista? I thought it was just for 7 & 8*.

Wopse, my fault, it appears Vista has no free upgrade path.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:38 pm 

I think I'll wait until they get all the bugs out

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:49 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Highly unlikely. I like to keep what OS and MS Office versions I'm using at home roughly aligned with what I use at work (makes things easier if/when I need to work at home). Since I work a "security sensitive" business it takes a while for any new OS to get approved so it's only fairly recently that even Win 7 was deployed in our offices and Win 8 isn't even on the horizon, so the free upgrade will be long gone by the time I might see Win 10 as worthwhile, if ever.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:01 am 
Obduction Backer

I had been concerned that the offer made it sound as if Microsoft, like seemingly every other software company out there, was going to be moving to an annual subscription basis rather than a purchased product.

But this post pretty much puts that concern to rest: not only is the upgrade free for the first year, but all updates will be free for the life of the device the OS is installed to....in other words, they're essentially saying there will be no Windows 11.

Hard to believe Microsoft is being that altruistic :lol: - the skeptic part of me is saying "there's gotta be a catch here somewhere!"
I'll probably wait out most of that first year, to see what the guinea-pigs have to say about it!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:55 am 
Obduction Backer

MacOS, iOS, Android, and Linux are all free at this point. That puts a bit of pressure on... There is writing on the wall, and it says "consumers no longer believe in paying for an OS."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:33 am 

Emor D'ni Lap wrote:
...in other words, they're essentially saying there will be no Windows 11.

Yeah, and nobody could possibly need more than 640kb RAM :lol:
I think, I'll wait and see what Win10 brings and how it developes in that first free year. And another thing: There is no such thing as free lunch. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:17 am 
Obduction Backer

And so all three major OSes will have an X in their GUIs :roll:

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:56 pm 

Windows 10? I'm not even getting Mac os .10 :-).

(Still on 10.9. 10.10 kills a number of things, including the ability to do some stuff with kernel extensions not signed by apple, or some things with audio software loopback.)

Beyond that, there's a major FUD factor. I don't trust microsoft; I would not be surprised to find a loss of 3rd-party ability hidden somewhere.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:50 pm 

Microsoft (MS) is not being altruistic.

MS has a plan to get everyone in a safer OS they can keep cheaply updated. If they cannot secure their OS as we move along a path similar to that leading up to WWII with ISIS consistently growing 80% per year for the past 5 years, a major cyber attack would drive millions of users to a more secure system, or at least off the net. That would topple MS's plans.

Businesses have resisted updating because of purchase and training costs. As of April 2014 28% of business desktops were running XP. An obstacle to updating is IT departments are required to justify the expense of software and training for an update to hard nosed managers and accounts. MS can eliminate this road block to updating. Eliminating support for legacy systems is a huge cost savings for MS.

As pointed out earlier, mobile, tablet, notebook, and other devices have operating systems that come with the initial hardware purchase and are then updated for free. So, to some extent MS is just caving to market pressure. The free market is a good thing.

MS also has a plan to separate business and home users more than they do now. The upgrade is not exactly free to business users. But, the complication is in how a business user is defined.

There is also the matter of MS apps like Office. MS is working to move more people into the cloud and subscription models for applications like Word and Excel. Here they are facing pressure from Google, Yahoo, Samsung, and Apple. Google seems to be in the lead for integrating all of a person's devices. MS is working to catch up and find a financial model that will allow them to survive in the face of competitive pressure from Google.

No altruism. Just survival.

It does look like Win10 will be a popular update accepted by many. It may well be the update that kills off Windows XP. Because it is free for a year after release, I think the majority of home users will upgrade.

Here the question is how well will it support MOULa? Since 7 and 8 can run MOULa I expect that to be true of 10 too.

In general Win10 is supposed to have better game support (DX12) and faster video processing. Preliminary reports are it does in fact preform better. Whether that will be true for legacy games, I haven't heard.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:25 am 

Nalates wrote:
As of April 2014 28% of business desktops were running XP.

And right now it's still about 10%
Nalates wrote:
It may well be the update that kills off Windows XP. Because it is free for a year after release, I think the majority of home users will upgrade

AFAIK it's free for owners of Win7 upwards. I don't see XP people upgrading now just to get yet another upgrade on top of that.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:15 am 
Obduction Backer

Nalates wrote:
Here the question is how well will it support MOULa?

I'm playing with the technical preview right now, and so far I've had no trouble with MOULa.

But I tried to recreate my old secondary avatar and have found the name already claimed :(

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:26 am 

@Wafna - if the name is important PM Chogen.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next