It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:00 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Kerryth has a build at the Burn2 event in Second Life right now and someone just gave me a link to a video that shows a lot of it, so I thought I'd share it with you all: Burn2, A Corner of FrogPond (FrogPond is the name of the sim.)

It's the large and very colorful area made up of fractal textures that's shown at the very beginning of the video and in the background for most of the video. It doesn't really do the build justice as there's a lot going on inside of it - and some of that is shown at 2:41 (where they misspelled her name as "Kerreth"). There are some good shots of it around 1:24 to 1:34.

Also in the video is a smaller build by Elyen Zlatkes who is also a Myst/Uru fan in the D'ni Refugees group there (and they misspelled her name as well).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

To encourage folks to visit in person, here are some (full-sized) photos I took yesterday when I visited both Elyen and Kerryth's exhibits. You can view them on my Flickr stream in the Burning Man album.

NB: I am wearing my steampunk pirate getup; my niece and I recently decided that the life of a marauding explorer might be a decent alternative to being "normal". ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

Wonderful pictures, Ainia. Thanks so much for sharing them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

How do you get there?

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

It's in Second Life. If you have an account there, you can use this link: Festival of Masques, Burning Man - Frog Pond

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah korovev,

Additionally, if you have an SL account, you can view the photos in my SL feed** and link directly from the photo (each one has an embedded link that will take you directly to the exact location where the photo was taken).

It's a pretty handy function on the admittedly buggy feeds there. :) I wound up pointing to my Flickr album because I couldn't get direct links to the SL feed photos to work here on the forums. :x

**Fair Warning: I take zillions of photos, so depending on when you look, you may have to do some digging into the archives! ;)

Additionally, someday In All My Spare Time(TM), I'll push lots of other photos out to Flickr, including my vast collection of MOULa images. :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:40 am 

korovev wrote:
How do you get there?

As Tai'lahr says, if you have an account, click. Otherwise... Go to SecondLife.com and sign up, download the 30+mb viewer (client side software), login and figure out how to get around...

Allow 30 minutes to a couple of hours to accomplish that...

To accomplish TL:TMBD* focus on opening the D'ni Refugees group once you login. Keep the web page open until you are logged in. Once the viewer is running and you are in-world, click the "View Full Profile in Second Life" link. If all goes well you'll be able to join the group and ask for help in the group's chat.

As of today 10/27 the build is still there. But, soon it will be gone.

*Too Much Brain Damage

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:34 pm 

The Burn 2 builds will remain on the Virtual Playa through this weekend, coming down the night of Sunday, November 1. There are still some ad hoc events going on.

Burn 2 has a relationship with the Burning Man festival in Nevada. Burn 2 practices the "leave no trace" idea from Burning Man, and an interesting constraint on designers is that what they build should simulate what happens at the real-life Burn. This has frustrated some designers. Kerryth has chosen to work within the guidelines, in particular the idea that "stuff" has to be 'transported" to the SL "playa.". Any design has to deal with various constraints and it's always interesting to see how this balance is achieved.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks, I managed to see it!

I have Firestorm and accounts on SL, Osgrid and Kitely, but almost never log in (the last two in fact still have the default avatar).

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm glad you got to see it for yourself, korovev. I hope you picked up the free face tattoos. :)

Kerryth mainly makes clothing and accessories, much of it fantasy or with at least a hint of magic, and some household objects like rugs and lamps. All of it with fractal textures. You can see many of her creations on her Flickr site.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:31 am 
Obduction Backer

Uh oh, I'm in trouble now!

Her creations are amazing and I'm afraid I will be throwing many, many $Lindens her way! ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:32 am 
Obduction Backer

Ainia wrote:
I'm afraid I will be throwing many, many $Lindens her way! ;)
You need to join the Spyralle Studio group to get the group gifts & discounts. I sent you a link to it in-world. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:44 am 

At this moment, Lady Chaos (who was re-created in SL a few months ago) Is wearing:
Owl Moon July dress, by Kerryth
Earrings (name forgotten), by Kerryth
Mystic Scarab neckalce, by Kerryth.

She is very much in the spirit of her Uru forebear, and as in that situation her presence came from some interesting factors. One of the threads goes back to Kerryth, who has been saying she'd make clothing for men "...when I can find some time." A simpler and more immediate solution came to mind... :)

This was the second year that I presented a series of musical programs in Kerryth's Burn 2 area. Last year's was another one of those nearly accidental things. I had been working all summer and into the fall on a complete, end-to-end rebuild of the Silk Road Musical Journey and finally called it done in late September. Being in a rather fey mood, I announced this in the Uru Refugees chat. Or maybe it was at Music Night. Anyway, Kerryth heard and spoke up: "You know, the theme of this year's Burn 2 is 'Caravanserai.' What do you think?" The Silk Road has developed from a 3-hour program into (at that time) about 14 hours in 9 parts. Burn 2 runs 9 days. "I think it's perfect." So, every day for the Burn we ambled along the Silk Road. Kerryth's build was perfect for it, and inspirational.

This year's theme was "Carnival of Mirrors." Kerryth built the "Festival of Masques," and my musical programs were "Musical Mirrors" of various kinds. Having come from the Uru tradition, where there are no props, it's easy to be overwhelmed by what can be done in Second Life; like many modern productions, the story can be lost in the props. Kerryth's design sense is quite inspirational, making a definite place that doesn't dictate to the viewer. They are spaces where imagination can roam, and I like encouraging that with music.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

Two excellent things:

1. Kerryth found her forum password! W00t!

2. I'm on TV today in Second Life at 2 p.m. PST. The show "Designing Worlds" visited the Burning Man festival, SL version, and my build was one of the ones they filmed. It was recorded a couple of weeks ago, but the show is airing today. You can see it here: http://treet.tv/live

They'll also have it available to stream later.

Special thanks to Lord Chaos (aka Ktahdn) for his many hours of work setting up and streaming a marathon of wonderful music every day during the event. We're already talking about next year's theme, Da Vinci's Laboratory....

Also, many thanks to Tai'lahr who spread the word back home here. :D

:)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah b'shem, Kerryth! And welcome back!

tumblr: kaththedragon