It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:41 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:46 pm 

In 2008 when several of us were feeling down because the Cavern was closed, Second Life became a home for many of us. Several groups formed in Second Life (SL), one of which is the D’ni Refugees. I think it is still the most active of the Myst related groups in SL.

Image~ Sunburned Bridges ~ by ƝƖƇƠ ƬƖMΣ ™, on Flickr

Searching the forum here you’ll find many debates about whether Uru Live (Plasma) or Second Life is a better platform for building worlds. All aspects of the two worlds are debatable when it comes to better/worse, except one: ease of building simple things. At the easiest it is similar to Minecraft building.

Since 2008 little has changed to shift that debate to favor one or the other. Uru is s l o w l y getting closer to having a flow of new content.

The hottest debates were probably about visual quality of the renders. Below are two links to videos showing the change over the last 7+ years. One from 2008 and one from 2015. The one from 2015 was mostly likely made on a high end gaming machine with an excellent video card, may be a NVIDA 970 with the render setting at ULTRA. It doesn’t take that hot a machine to render on ULTRA or a step below, UNLESS you try to record video. My Quad-Core Duo and NVIDA 560 can do 20 to 50 FPS at one step of 7 below ULTRA.

March 21, 2018 – use a smaller viewport for this older video to get more of the feel for what SL looked like on screen.

There is some obvious difference in the skill of the 2008 cameraman “YOUseeMEin3D.com” and “Luca Grabacr” the 2015 cameraman. Also, there is probably some difference in quality attributable to the hardware and tech used to make the videos.

Nov 8, 2015 – This is available in 1080p HD. You can watch it full screen to get a sense of what SL is like now.

SL is a mix of old and new, things built in 2004 are still around. The plaza in the 2015 video (TM: 2:00) with an R2D2 is reminiscent of older builds. There is new stuff built this year, even this month. I’ve included a promo from the makers of SL, Linden Lab, to show some of the best of SL. If you are allergic to ads, skip it. If you are immune ad hype, it is an example of what can be done in SL. But, even it doesn’t show some of gorgeous places built in SL, including scenes inspired by Uru Live. Flickr Myst Uru a mix of Uru Live, SL, and OpenSim builds mostly posted by Dmom and Dot. On Flickr the groups ‘Stunning Second Life Images’ and ‘MOST EXCELLENT SecondLife’ have some of the best images from SL. But, they allow nudity, so no link to click on.

July 2015 Promo

As much as SL has improved over the years it still isn’t good enough to meet the demands of today’s world builders (See: YouTube World Makers). So, what some call SL 2.0 is coming. Officially it is called by its code name: Project Sansar.

I expect we will see builds inspired by Uru Live in Sansar and people will likely debate the merits of Plasma verses Sansar platforms.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image