It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: FRAPS and Windows 10
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:43 am 
Obduction Backer

Fraps doesn't work with Windows 10 :-( However, there is a built-in video capture tool in Windows 10. If you start your game (app) {I used it on Moul(a)} and press the windows key and the G key at the same time, a screen pops up "Do you want to open Game Bar" under which is a box "Yes, this is a game" Click this box and a bar becomes available to record. tap this button to start..and again to stop..the file will be saved in Documents - Video - Screen Capture... Experiment & Have Fun!!! Oh...and Happy Thanksgiving to all in the USA! (Peace and Love to everyone everywhere)

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject: Re: FRAPS and Windows 10
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:01 am 

I wouldn't be so affirmative Charura.

See for yourself: https://youtu.be/WUDh85MX_sc

It's a small test video made just few minutes ago on MOULa using Fraps & Windows 10.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:06 am 
Obduction Backer

Sorry Annabelle.... Maybe not explicit enough.... I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 and 'NOW' FRAPS doesn't work... It may work on a brand new 10 install (non-upgrade), I'm not sure... Maybe I'll un-install/re-install FRAPS and see how that works out... But.. in the mean-time, I'll just use the built-in feature I mentioned... Nice quality and easy to use.. and FREE!!

Here is what I found on the Steam forum:

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/f ... 374737591/

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:00 am 

Well... I googled Fraps + Windows 10 and got directed to a certain "Old Guy Geek" explaining on YT video that the 2 were functioning well together: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loRPRGaj7ZM

The embarked video capturing app doesn't satisfy my needs as I cannot choose (I searched :? ) where to put my recordings. I don't want them to be put in C: because it's quite small (only 256 Gb). Got few Tb elsewhere on other internal HDDs so it's easier for me.

If it fits your needs then that's fine. There are other video capturing apps also, I can think of PlayClaw for example.

And we have to be cautious with the "non-supported applications" thing. All of my old applications are working fine but not all of them are "supported applications". For example, I have Windows Live Movie Maker 2011 and it works like a charm although it's categorized as being non-supported.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:38 am 
Obduction Backer

Actually you CAN choose to put your captured videos on a separate drive, that's been possible for years. But FRAPS is so out of date I don't really see any reason to use it anymore unless you're running on old hardware. Their last update was back in Feb 2013.

I've been using OBS. It's free and similar to playclaw, although it's a little more hands on. But that's what I've been using to record videos at 1080p 60FPS. And the filesizes are MUCH smaller than FRAPS since you can use mp4's instead of AVI.

https://obsproject.com/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:40 pm 

The issue with smaller filesizes is their inherent problem of compression. Often with PlayClaw I have to use avidemux to strip out the audio stream because its compression is not the same as the video compression ratio so there's an ugly offset that just keeps getting uglier and uglier.

I prefer shooting raw. If it takes 100 Gb for 25 minutes so be it! Shooting raw in Fraps keeps the colours more intact too. In PlayClaw, the colours are completely changed.

I will look into your OBS app Tomala to see if it fits my needs. If I can shoot raw videos in mp4 format, it will be fine, if not, I'll stick to Fraps & avi.

I'm using it also because I bought a license so I don't mind it is out of date. These days everything must be SO 2015 or SO 2016 or else you're a dinosaur is a crappy argument for someone like me. I'm using Windows Live Movie Maker 2011 simply because it's the one I understand. Whatever if there's a better duper handling 3D, 4K, UHD, or whatever video editing app, the odds I get angry at it because I don't know how to use it are high! :lol: When you start talking directly to a computer, that's when you know it's not getting you far...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

Fraps works OK for me too under the latest Windows 10 Pro X64 version.
I recently used it quite a lot when exploring a complex fan age.
No problem taking screen shots and making films.
Have you tried to download and install the latest version 3.5.99 and run it as an administrator?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

I wrote: Maybe I'll un-install/re-install FRAPS and see how that works out

That did it for me :D FRAPPING away :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
I'm using it also because I bought a license so I don't mind it is out of date.

As did I, but I had to stop using FRAPS because it kept tearing the screen whenever I went to film at any framerate. Didn't get that problem when I used PlayClaw or OBS. But if you can get FRAPS to work then more power to you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:05 am 
Obduction Backer

Fraps is one of the few programs that seems to have survived Windows 8.1->Windows 10 without needing a repair or something. Of course, I moved everything to an SSD at the same time, which was a very problematic process.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:00 pm 

Charura wrote:
I wrote: Maybe I'll un-install/re-install FRAPS and see how that works out

That did it for me :D FRAPPING away :)

Nice! The good old pajama is always the best :)