It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: LEGO ADVENT WARS
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:36 pm 

Happy Holidays, Everyone!

If you remember, I said I'd be posting Lego City Versus Lego Star Wars Advent Calendars. Well... Today is December 1st, and so... 8)

Let the Games Begin - Advent Wars: Day One.

Some notes:
My first attempt at a video series with this format. I've already identified a few things I could be doing better, and will be correcting that in future videos.

Chell and the Doctor Minifigures are from the Lego Dimensions sets! I needed some patrons to captain each Advent Calendar. :33 The Doctor gets City since he protects the Earth from constant Doom, and Chell gets Star Wars because I thought it'd be kind of funny to have Chell work with a calendar full of A.I. controlled droids. :33

I'm running on two judgement systems, one for Minifigs, one for Minibuilds.

Minifigs:
Design,
Accessories,
and Christmas-y-ness!

MiniBuilds:
Ease of Build from Door Picture,
Resemblance to Real Life Items,
and Playability with Minifigs.

Sometimes these might clash, but so far it's been fairly fair in terms of judgement, and usually Minifigs are paired with Minifigs across calendars, and so on for Minibuilds.

Thanks for watching! I'll post tomorrow's video, well, tomorrow! :33

_CalumTraveler

Post subject: Re: LEGO ADVENT WARS
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:34 pm 

It's Tuesda---wait. No it's not. It's Wednesday. Dang, and there went the funny "That means it's time for day two!" joke I had planned.

Oh Well! It's Time for Day Two of ADVENT WARS!

Batter Up! Lego throws me a curveball! - Advent Wars Day 2

Notes:

Every year that I've done TWO calendars, they've always held the same patterns. Minifigs appear on the same days, and MiniBuilds appear on the same days.... This year, Lego has completely baffled me on predictability. My designed ruleset is completely unprepared for this collision of divergent themes.

Naturally, Lego must have decided to shake things up like this the very year I decide to do Advent Videos. But that's just life, am I right? -_-;

I've also gotten some feedback on the lighting, and I'll try to do something about that, but the main problem is that the lightbulbs in the lamp above me keep burning out. I'll be trying out some different settings in future, but the results of that probably won't be immediately obvious.

Also, the score system- I'll be trying showing the results a bit differently before going to the score board. The way I've been doing it has felt a little bit... short, as far as the video length goes. I don't want it to stretch too far in length, though, so we'll see. I've just gotta figure out how to display it first, though. We'll see how that goes...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:59 pm 

Thursday it be, time for Advent Wars Day 3!

Notes:

I tried out a bit of a longer opening here, just for fun. Dunno if I wanna keep pushing it though. i can only come up with so many situations for an opening sequence.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get the blasted camera to focus in close up video mode. My Apologies for the blurry scenes. >_<;

I had to google to find out what the SW item is. Not good for its score rating.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:02 pm 

Iiiit's Friday! And in today's episode of Advent Wars, Marty gets a little bit McFryed... Okay, bad pun, I know. But don't worry, he's okay!

Advent Wars Day 4: Totally Awesomely Radically Driving In Style

Notes:

LEGO seems to have made it a theme this year to torment me with clashing rule sets. I've checked ahead just a little, and today isn't the last time we'll be getting a Minifigure straight across from a Minibuild- it's just the second. Why? I guess it makes for a nice change of pace, and I'd certainly be happy with it... if I wasn't doing this Advent Wars thing.

A bit of a more dramatic opening, celebrating the Doctor Who IDEAS set that came out this month! We've got the TARDIS, Two Daleks, and a Weeping Angel making their appearances today!

The new results note style will be appearing in tomorrow's videos onwards. The Star Wars calendar lost because it was just a minifig with no accessories. Its only savior would have been a Christmas-themed printing... but we got nothing of the sort. If I'd known Lego was going to do this sort of thing with the SW calendar, I would've gone with Lego Friends Vs. Lego City instead of City Vs Star Wars.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:45 pm 

Welcome to Day Five of Advent Wars: In Which We Require a Tie Breaker.

Notes:

It's nice to see some old pieces return. In cases like today's model, they could make or break a decision.

New Judgement system attempt: Does it work better? Possibly. Is it more work? Yeah. Am I making these videos progressively more extravagant as I go along? That's a definite Yes.

I know, intellectually, that a Dalek could actually PROBABLY defeat a Weeping Angel with their lazor blastz... Probably... But it's a LEGO-based video! Imaaaagination is key here! Who says the story needs to make sense in order to have a little bit of fun with it? :33

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:10 pm 

It's Day Six of Advent Wars!

Notes:

This was a close call, all things considered, in terms of judgement.

I wish I'd known what they'd planned for Doctor Who last night before I'd made this episode. Some things hit just a little too close to the Irony side of things for my liking. (And to think I wasn't even trying 0_0)

I'm also running out of ideas for opening sequences. I might just jump straight into the music in future videos. ^^;

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:42 pm 

DAY SEVEN HAS ARRIVED!

Notes:

A pattern starts to emerge here... Yes. I believe I see it now:

I have no clue what LEGO is throwing at me anymore. If I have to google to find out what the Star Wars calendar's item is...

Another trend is beginning to emerge as well.... I don't think Star Wars is going to win over all.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:51 pm 

Day Eight: Do the Ewok Lamp Walk.

NOTES:

All this video editing in rapid fire form is giving me a headache. you'd think with how simple these videos are, that I'd be able to churn them out easily enough. But nope. Not at all. There's a lot of work going into these.. especially when the music doesnt play properly on final renders and I have to spend all night rerendering the whole thing over and over and over and over again just to get it to play the stupid SOUND EFFECTS where I want them to play and--

Sorry, was I ranting there? I tend to do that when I'm hungry. And speaking of that, I need to go get lunch... then do more video editing that isn't related to Advent Wars and then I've got a party to get to and... @[email protected]

Let's just say that I've got a very busy day ahead of me, and leave it at that, shall we?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:46 pm 

Day Nine: Stay Fresh!

Notes:

Still tired from yesterday and still got stuff to do today that didnt get done yesterday. In fact, I'm heading off right after posting this to do some of that stuff. SIGH.

Am I being petty about scoring? IDK. I'm just trying to make some funny videos along the way.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:33 pm 

Day 10: Trooper Who?

Notes:

The printing on this unfortunate Stormtrooper is only slightly different from the one that came in This Set earlier this year. It was fairly common at the time it came out, so the differences don't make it that unique of a print, all things considered.

No accessories either. We'll be getting those on a later day, naturally, but without at least one included in door, there are no points to be awarded to the Minifig's appearing day score... Especially given how far ahead we actually have to WAIT for the next "traditional weapons rack" to even appear. :/

I really don't know what Lego's been doing with the SW Calendar this year. It just doesn't make sense at times.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:07 pm 

Day 11: I would re-render a thousand times.

Notes:

This episode gave me quite a bit of grief in rendering. About ten times total, and I STILL ended up with a glitch in the credits scrawl! >_<;

The problem, unlike my usual black screen problems with Dovah's Mind, this time turned out to be the audio. It just wouldn't load the audio tracks right for some reason. I messed with it again and again and again until I finally got the end result you see before you. Not happy with how it turned out, but alas, this is what I had to settle for.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:34 pm 

Day 12: Enter the Chopper.

Notes:

With today, we are now HALF WAY THROUGH the Advent Calendar!

Half Way through. Where has the month gone?? 0_o; This means that Christmas will arrive in a grand total of TWELVE DAYS! (Give or take a day due to your local time zones) We've got some interesting advents ahead of us, and City has quite a multi-day arc that's started today as well!

There are some interrupts, yes, but come the final tally, I'm going to have to add some points over all for that sort of thing.

In the mean time, I've got a lot of video editing still to do, both for the rest of Advent Wars, and for Dovah's Mind's End of Disk 2 as well. I've just gotta get back in the groove of it all, but this time of year is crazy crazy crazy! @[email protected]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:46 pm 

Day 13: Feeling the Burn

Notes:
I've got nothing. Drawin' a blank, here. @[email protected]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:07 pm 

DAY 14: Flying away on a wing and a prayer...

Notes: Why is December the most stressful of the months? I don't really understand it.

In today's episode, we continue on with a bit of one of City's Multi-day builds. In Star Wars, we get the Falcon!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:13 pm 

Day 15: No time for fancy openings

Notes: No time for notes either. Got a bunch of snow to shovel away. >_<;