It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:05 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Doctor Who: Heaven Sent
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:59 pm 

I just wanted to make mention of last Saturday's episode of Doctor Who.. it was called 'Heaven Sent'-- it continues from the end of last week... where the Doctor had been forced into wearing a teleporter bracelet, that would send him to "parts unknown".

He appeared in a mysterious prison-castle, being followed by a bizarre creature called 'The Veil" which was apparently some horror story from his childhood on Gallifrey.

He was in a "Puzzle Age"-- He could see the stars, and determine that he was 7,00 years in the future, and it was clear that other prisoners had been in this castle before him. And he had to solve the puzzle... he had to figure out how various mechanisms worked, how to access different parts of the castle... find clues.. in a very creepy way it was revealed that he'd been 'taking notes' on his progress.

I don't wanna spoil it. I just wanna say that it was VERY clear that adventure gaming in general, and -- I believe-- Myst, in particular, had been a big influence on the writing of this episode.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:57 am 
Obduction Backer

That's a bit of a leap, Harvey. I'd agree that there was an element of gameplaying in the plot, but to me it seemed more D+D than Myst - too much combat.

The final part (avoiding spoilers if I can) did have a certain element of "saved game" about it. (an enlightened and properly designed game engine would say "Oooh are we going to do something dangerous now?" every time you saved your progress).

Without straining myself, I can see Harry Potter (spit, curse) elements in the story, as well as Neil Gaiman, Arthur Clarke and a host of other SF influences.

Very good episode though. Peter Capaldi finally had a good script to work with.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:03 pm 

Personally, I felt like the whole episode was inspired by Myst to some degree!

I had that very strong feeling of nostalgia, seeing it all. The different puzzle rooms, the many monitors, the fact that there was a rotating building with Bridges, all suspended over water? I even commented while watching the episode's opening, "This reminds me of Myst!"

I'm kind of glad I'm not the only one who thought that about "Heaven Sent." ^^