It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:47 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:41 pm 

JWPlatt wrote:
But I want the world to look at writers who use characters for their own inorganically selfish purposes and shortcomings for what they are and not immediately assume death means quality drama.

I couldn't agree more. However, this death feels more like Harrison Ford's idea than anything. He didn't want to do more Star Wars, and I'm honestly surprised at how much screen time he was willing to give. I think it's fair to let his character die (and hand off his role to Finn), especially when Ford basically made Han who he is.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:40 am 
Obduction Backer

Mac_Fife wrote:
Emor D'ni Lap wrote:
... and average ticket prices about $8.34 (in the U.S.; I haven't located a reliable worldwide average), ...

The basic adult ticket price at my local cinema (UK) is £9.25, which is just a bit shy of US$14, so factor that in...

Wow, you're lucky, Mac! At my local - and with the discount for buying on-line - I paid £12.03 :( Google tells me that's $17.89. That's Greater London for you.

I enjoyed the film, but had read so much about fans in tears that I'd fully expected to cry - it doesn't take much to set me off - but yet I didn't. So I guess it didn't engage me fully on all levels.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:32 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
I saw it a couple of days ago, in 3D. It's very strange having a Star Destroyer nearly land in your lap!

I enjoyed it, but I kept getting this feeling of déjà vu. It was basically all the plot themes from episodes IV-VI all rolled into one. I would think "New trilogy, therefore, new themes," but the whole thing came off as more of an homage than a sequel.

Still, it was a lot of fun and - to my surprise, and relief - there were few lens flares and no gratuitous women-in-underwear scenes. (I'm still trying to figure out what was going through Abrams' mind when he included those scenes in the Star Trek movies.)

The new characters of Rey, Finn and Po are promising, and I'm looking forward to Episode VIII.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:03 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

TOOO wrote:
...there were few lens flares...
Disney was in solid control.

TOOO wrote:
...and no gratuitous women-in-underwear scenes. (I'm still trying to figure out what was going through Abrams' mind when he included those scenes in the Star Trek movies.)
Demographics.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

TOOO wrote:
but the whole thing came off as more of an homage than a sequel.

Agreed: you could play a drinking game for every time something in the original trilogy is directly referenced.

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:00 am 

Twitch wrote:
JWPlatt wrote:
But I want the world to look at writers who use characters for their own inorganically selfish purposes and shortcomings for what they are and not immediately assume death means quality drama.

I couldn't agree more. However, this death feels more like Harrison Ford's idea than anything. He didn't want to do more Star Wars, and I'm honestly surprised at how much screen time he was willing to give. I think it's fair to let his character die (and hand off his role to Finn), especially when Ford basically made Han who he is.

Harrison ford wanted to have his character killed off in Return of the Jedi because he thought his character arc was over and the death would add some drama/impact. I was not the least bit surprised that the character died especially considering that it would impractical for him to keep making movies at his age.

TOOO wrote:
I saw it a couple of days ago, in 3D. It's very strange having a Star Destroyer nearly land in your lap!

I enjoyed it, but I kept getting this feeling of déjà vu. It was basically all the plot themes from episodes IV-VI all rolled into one. I would think "New trilogy, therefore, new themes," but the whole thing came off as more of an homage than a sequel.

Still, it was a lot of fun and - to my surprise, and relief - there were few lens flares and no gratuitous women-in-underwear scenes. (I'm still trying to figure out what was going through Abrams' mind when he included those scenes in the Star Trek movies.)

The new characters of Rey, Finn and Po are promising, and I'm looking forward to Episode VIII.

The film was planned from the start to try and recapture the "magic" if you will of the original series. It was just another angle besides shooting with film and focusing on practical effects. I have also read that from the 1st orders point of view it makes sense to imitate the empire because they view themselves as a continuation of it and they make an even stronger superweapon because they want to go further then the empire was ever able to go, in an attempt to succeed where it failed.

JWPlatt wrote:
TOOO wrote:
...there were few lens flares...
Disney was in solid control.

TOOO wrote:
...and no gratuitous women-in-underwear scenes. (I'm still trying to figure out what was going through Abrams' mind when he included those scenes in the Star Trek movies.)
Demographics.

It's practically a signature character trait of Kirk to be a notorious skirt chaser. Its so infamous there are even several tropes on tv tropes inspired by this very detail.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:33 pm 

I'm waiting for the Blueray, don't go to the movies, haven't for over 20 years.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:39 am 
Obduction Backer

My sister and I saw it. One of the reasons I wanted to see it was because JJ Abrams co-wrote and directed it.

I really liked it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:44 am 
Obduction Backer

I thought the movie was pretty good, though it suffered where it imitated Episode IV, whose unique charm it lacked. The locations didn't strike me as especially memorable (with one or two exceptions). Hopefully Episodes VIII and IX will have less mundane worlds.

Kylo Ren was an interesting character, and certainly much better than the EU's Darth Caedus. The interactions between the new main characters were enjoyable and I'm looking forward to seeing how the future episodes explore the mysteries this movie set up.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:22 am 
Obduction Backer

My husband (Avid Star Trek and Star Wars Fan) and I went this past weekend to see it.... I, not knowing anything about Star Wars, loved it....My hubby on the other hand, was ready to go after only 1 hour in....not sure why. I liked it, He hated it...

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:48 am 

Talashar wrote:
I thought the movie was pretty good, though it suffered where it imitated Episode IV, whose unique charm it lacked. The locations didn't strike me as especially memorable (with one or two exceptions). Hopefully Episodes VIII and IX will have less mundane worlds.

Kylo Ren was an interesting character, and certainly much better than the EU's Darth Caedus. The interactions between the new main characters were enjoyable and I'm looking forward to seeing how the future episodes explore the mysteries this movie set up.

There were only 2 or 3 locations though so its not surprising you didn't see an interesting location.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:51 am 

Also I made a neighborhood in game for people to discuss in. I don't know if it's technically skirting "the rules" or not, though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:23 am 

Quote:
And really, who HASN'T seen VII yet?

I have not, and don't plan on it. None of it is as good as the originals. I may watch when it comes out on DVD, but I may fall asleep too...lol

KI #03313934

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:56 am 

Oh dear. It seems my uncanny ability to be a grim reaper of threads has followed me to yet another forum.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

None of Star Wars is as good as the originals :P

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

Last edited by korovev on Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next