It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 am 

korovev wrote:

None of Star Wars is as good as the originals :P

But they still have fond a way to get your donation ($$$) have they not ! :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:18 am 
Obduction Backer

You could say that about anything that comes with a price tag. People paid $$$ to see A New Hope too. It’s called entertainment industry, not entertainment charity.

It’s too easy to point out the obvious similarities and gloss over the differences, and ignoring that the original trilogy had its own load of contrived circumstances and over-the-top acting :P

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:27 am 

It's not surprising considering that George Lucas began Star Wars when he couldn't get the rights to make a Flash Gordon movie.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:05 pm 

I wrote up a long winded review of the Force Awakens novelization over on A-Xros Space and Time. Spoilers abound, yeah, but I also did a spoiler free TL;DR at the beginning that I'll copy over here. Link to the full review at the end of the spoiler tag below.

[Reveal] Spoiler: SW:TFA CONTAINS:
Han Freakin’ Solo.
At least THREE insane stunts with Vehicles.
Grievous Bodily Harm with a Lightsaber.
Terrifying Implications about Spaceship Hyperspace Travel.
The Death Star!!!!
Oh, 3P0…!
And at least TWO planets exploding. Possibly more.
My recommendation: 4 out of 5 stars. You should read the book even if you’ve seen the movie.

If you haven’t seen the movie, or haven’t read the book, that’s it! You can stop right there! If you’re like me, though, and don’t care about that kind of stuff, then go right ahead and continue reading past the Read More.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:57 am 
Creative Kingdoms

VoiZod wrote:
...Kilo kills his father H.S in the most disrespectful lamest movie killing
off a MAIN CHARACTER to EVER be in the history of movies...

No, that honor belongs to Newt (offscreen), especially, and Hicks (offscreen), Bishop and Ripley in Alien 3. A close second is Picard's family (offscreen) and Kirk in Star Trek: Generations.

As for the quality of the rest of the post, I rate it as far worse than its expressed opinion of Star Wars VII itself. Not because of whether I liked the movie or not, but because of how the criticism is expressed, possibly revealing an intellectual violence and hatred greater than anything in the movie itself. I question whether it really is about the movie at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:49 pm 

Quote:
Nothing but a rehash of Star Wars 4 A New Hope

This is the only part that I'm going to address here.

TFA is *meant* to invoke the thoughts and feelings of ANH. It's less of a rehash and more of the new company saying, "We understand why the Prequels aren't liked as much, and we aren't going to repeat those mistakes. We know how to make this movie feel like the original Star Wars trilogy, and we're going to keep this feeling in the future movies." It's an assurance that the franchise is in good hands, and that the new movies aren't going to go the way of the Prequels.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:44 am 
Obduction Backer

VoiZod wrote:
The lead character is a one trick pony that simply cried throughout
the entire film, as well as UNREALISTICALLY going from a poor Desert scavanger to INSTANTLY
becoming a Millennium Falcon KNOW IT ALL to a JEDI that supposedly kills that BRAT retarded kid
Kilo Ren

Are you sure you’ve actually seen the movie, and not just the trailer?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:58 am 

Bottom line, I was entertained in the Star Wars branded way. Well served. However...

I will just say that since we are all intimate with Star Wars and the characters and plots, it is extremely difficult to retain the formula and create characters that we all feel emotionally attached to.

I didn't 100% buy into any of main characters and their personal quests. I didn't feel it. And that is the core of storytelling, caring for the characters. I thought they were weak. The situations were strong enough (at least for a Star Wars film) but the main characters could have been literally anyone, any race, any species. On top of that, it all felt very PC.

That said, I'm an old guy who has seen it all, so maybe I'm not the best judge. And, frankly, I am very grateful for a new SW flick.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm not the biggest advocate of PC either (mostly in relation to censorship and anti-dialogue) but I found it was about time to have a female character and black guy take center spot. I really don't care what the gender or race of a character is as long as the characters were good, which I thought they were.

The acting and writing were amazing and that's really all I care about. Maybe next movie they could have a gay character, although I'd love for him to be a villain 8) (this is because as gay/bi person myself I very much relate to the gay villain trope, having been in the dating scene for a long while - p.s. read Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde ;) , although that's just me and I really don't care if a character is gay or not, but it would be cool nonetheless.)

With that said, I didn't find the movie preachy at all though. My only gripe was perhaps that Rey seemed too perfect from the get-go. Would have loved to see her mess up a few times like Luke did in the first two films before mastering the Force.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yali wrote:
Maybe next movie they could have a gay character

*cough*Poe*cough*Finn*cough*

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:18 pm 

I didn't feel as though film was PC. PC, to me implies somethings is "forced" or "heavy handed". The impression I got was that yes, the two main characters happened to be black and female, but that this had no impact on the story. I'm thinking that what the whole point was- the film was trying to get across the message that we are so "past this" that they didn't even feel the need to draw attention to it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:48 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

mathiusdragoon wrote:
...I'm thinking that what the whole point was- the film was trying to get across the message that we are so "past this" that they didn't even feel the need to draw attention to it.

If the story is organic, it "writes itself" without any artificial external influence and then you fill it in with the performers. I really don't think you mean what you say about "the whole point." That sort of argument refutes itself because being "past this" makes it PC by drawing attention to the denial of the point made.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:25 am 
Obduction Backer

So now we have recursive PC. Cute.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:04 pm 

JWPlatt wrote:
mathiusdragoon wrote:
...I'm thinking that what the whole point was- the film was trying to get across the message that we are so "past this" that they didn't even feel the need to draw attention to it.

If the story is organic, it "writes itself" without any artificial external influence and then you fill it in with the performers. I really don't think you mean what you say about "the whole point." That sort of argument refutes itself because being "past this" makes it PC by drawing attention to the denial of the point made.

That's what I meant. I felt like the film wasn't specifically trying to make a point, it was just about telling a story. I really mangled what I was trying to say the first time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:33 am 

Those who can, do.
Those who can not, criticize :mrgreen:

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next