It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:11 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:59 pm 

If you have been around Myst for a long time, you have heard why Uru Live didn’t become a financial success, simply not enough players. In general adventure games are losing players. Many thought the adventure game class was finished.

Big name games like World of Warcraft have shrunk from 12 million paying users to 5 million in about that last 12 months. So, it sort of looks like people are losing interest in adventure games.

While looking up information for marketing virtual reality and virtual worlds I found a change in the number of those searching for adventure games. From December 2014 to July 2015 Google reports there were about 14,000 searches per month using the phrase: adventure game.

In August 2015 that jumped up to 40,500, September 74,000, and by November 110,000. So, August saw a 285% increase, September 185% over August and 528% over July, November 148% over Sept-Oct and 786% over July. Impressive numbers, but still a really small number of people. (info from Google AdWords)

It is far too early to know if this is a fundamental change in people’s preferences. But, it is an interesting change.

In the Myst community we seldom write the words adventure game in anything we post. So, there is little to for Bing, Google, or Yahoo to glom onto to point these people to Myst Online: Uru Live.

If you search on best adventure game, there is about 181 million hits on Google. If you narrow that by adding pc into the phrase the number drops to about 25 million hits.

PC Gamer has the top 25 adventure games. Uru Live isn’t in the list. Leisure Suit Larry made it… In Tech Radar’s Top 100 best free games you should play today you won’t find Uru Live. Since Zombie Trailerpark made it I can’t understand why Uru Live didn’t.

My thinking is that with the blogs and fan sites we have in the Uru community, we should be able to at least have Uru Live somewhere in the top three pages of search results for adventure game and may be more likely for best pc adventure game. Its just a matter of remembering to use those words when writing online.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:53 pm 

Very interesting information, and helpful suggestions.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:52 pm 

Is it my imagination or is the Uru Live one of the very few video games with no sex violence or nudity :shock:

As if their is not enough of it in real life :?

Gee it seems the Uru makes you use your brain and your problem solving skills, whether its playing the game or writing ages for it, its no wonder why there not popular anymore :roll:

Everything else aside its good to know somebody still making games where the object is not killing as many as you can.

Thanks guys

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:46 pm 

Karkadann wrote:
Is it my imagination or is the Uru Live one of the very few video games with no sex violence or nudity :shock:

It's not nonexistant (see Bahro war and the Me'erta Story notebook), but none of it is visually depicted. Which is a nice contrast to just about any other MMO, I agree.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:31 am 

So true. I truly believe if it became widely known that Uru stimulated your brain in a beneficial rather than simply in an LCD gratifying way it would be much more popular - but these things run on PR budgets and a marketing staff including multimedia and adwords positions, none of which seems possible at this point. :(

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:38 am 

IMO,
To solve this humdrum of making adventure games popular is simple
an not so simple because no one for some silly reason (mind control),
certain walks of life (careers jobs) example Science + Spirituality = 1 It is Whole again!
What was once split apart is now whole again.

Just like adventure games, Adventure + RPG = 1 ! :lol: :D
That way you can add a economy an shops, crafting, and PVE element
battling mobs of some sort with the age your checking out or visiting.
The Bahro could become game bots with a API added to them.
you could develop their language farther an they will act similar to M5.
you could ( if you do certain things) you could win their trust thou this will be
very very hard to figure completely out. an so much more could be done with them.

I think (correct me if Im wrong) did any of you notice that each Hood has its own
copy of Ae'gura the city? I think Cyan had at one time planned to have a Hood contest
at restoring the city back to before it fell. Cyan would then take the best parts of
all the builds to make a canon Yeesha/Bahro/Cyan D'ni restored city age/clone.
etc.
But the sad truth is Python is too rigged of a code to be able to easily add new fetures
etc. and a better game engine But it all cost money sigh.

there are some really old mmorpg still online, like Ryzom and Istaria and Mabinogi.
There are also a few open sandbox mmorpg/aventure games out now like Ryft
and one other I forgot.

Idea for SIngle player games, kinda like steam, but have a voice and text
added into the game! but then one could cheat, hmmm :/

URU - KI - Atrus 03668735, Katran 00982487,
URUb - KI - 00356281

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:26 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
Of course, the fact that there hasn't been any real new content since 2007 (shirts and hats notwithstanding), contributes to our problems. Add the fact that Cyan doesn't advertise Myst Online and the fact that it's not Mac or Linux native (yet - I still hold out hope for Someday), and you can see why we've fallen behind.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:52 am 

VoiZod wrote:
But the sad truth is Python is too rigged of a code to be able to easily add new fetures
etc. and a better game engine But it all cost money sigh.

As someone who programs in Python *a lot* I disagree. ;) Besides, as far as I know Python is only used to script ages. The game and engine are written in C++, and that's the code you'd need to modify to add any major features to the game.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:56 pm 

When you think of the total number of people that have played Uru Live and the total number of people playing computer games... for most of the world Uru Live is new content.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

A partial explanation could be that in late 2014 The Witcher Adventure Game was released.

Also, this strategy would probably work better with the offline version of Uru. The common understanding is that Uru Live is a MMOG (if a borderline one), so I don’t really see the benefit of trying to put it in a category few people would associate it with.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.