It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:37 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: MOULa Who's Online
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:54 am 
Obduction Backer

About a month ago, I stumbled upon this topic and thought to myself, "Yeah, we really need a Who's Online list!" I then promptly forgot about it. However, a couple of weeks ago, I remembered that someone had requested a WOL, and I was constantly becoming frustrated by spending 2 minutes logging into Uru (that secure preloader download is really annoying!) just to find that none of my "buddies" were online, so I would like to present to you:

WhoM 1.2
WhoM is a "Who's Online" program for MOULa. Currently, it displays the online status of your Buddies, Neighbors, and "Recents." It will also pop up notifications when a buddy logs in (you can disable this or even enable neighbor login pop ups), add new buddies by KI number, and allow you to delete buddies and recents. *New in 1.1* You can additionally browse and export your KI Mail and view the the population of public ages.

WhoM's vault interactions have been tested rigorously and will not corrupt the vault, so please do not worry about damaging the servers. WhoM places little load on the MOULa server because it never actually links you into any ages and only requests the data that you ask for.

Please report any bugs you find and enjoy! I also welcome feature requests. I enjoyed writing this application and would like to continue to add things :)

Prerequisites
Downloads

This product includes cryptographic software written by Eric Young ([email protected])

Last edited by AdamJohnso on Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:25 am, edited 9 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:19 am 
Obduction Backer

This is great, Adam! I've been waiting for something like this. Seems to work just fine. Very useful!

One recommendation: change 'Username' to 'Account name', since that's what appears on the MOULagain GUI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:20 am 
Obduction Backer

Robert The Rebuilder wrote:
One recommendation: change 'Username' to 'Account name', since that's what appears on the MOULagain GUI.

It'll be in the next release. :)

Edit: While making that change, I noticed that tabbing through the controls on the connect window does not work as expected (the checkboxes get selected after the buttons). The tab order will be corrected in the next release also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:31 am 
Obduction Backer

Very cool. Thanks!

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:22 am 
Obduction Backer

Adam, Please make your source code available. You are asking people to provide your program with login information. I want to know where it's going. (This is the Open Source forum after all :) )

Also, I'd like a comment from Cyan about this. Without using it I can tell that it is using the Myst Uru Daemon...which basically emulates the client to gain access to the server. What is Cyan's stance on such emulators and are they against ToS assuming they cause no disruption?

Thanks,

OHB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:41 am 

OHB wrote:
Adam, Please make your source code available. You are asking people to provide your program with login information. I want to know where it's going. (This is the Open Source forum after all :) )

Thanks,

OHB

Second that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:43 am 
Obduction Backer

OHB wrote:
Adam, Please make your source code available. You are asking people to provide your program with login information. I want to know where it's going.

Thanks,

OHB

That's on the To-Do list. I'm deciding on licensing and project hosting right now (I plan for this program and its core library to be open source), so give me a little time to produce the entire source code.

For now, I have extracted the login code beginning with where the password is first used. You can find it at http://mud.pastebin.com/BFDpp5SX If you still feel uncomfortable (I would not blame you if you still did), you can either wait for the complete source or get the .NET Reflector and reflect the assemblies yourself. Hopefully I'll get that source repository up this weekend.

Final note: I am an honest person. I do not save data like Google does ;). The only place your login data goes is the registry (if you hit "Remember Me") and to the shard you selected (Sha0 encrypted).

PS Isn't it ironic that someone who won't share his source code is demanding someone else to release his?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:52 am 
Obduction Backer

AdamJohnso wrote:
PS Isn't it ironic that someone who won't share his source code is demanding someone else to release his?

1. I'm not asking for your username and password and I don't know you :)
2. My code is available to Cyan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:59 am 
Obduction Backer

OHB wrote:
AdamJohnso wrote:

My code can blow up MOULa in the wrong hands. ;)

Regardless, the principle still stands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:06 am 
Obduction Backer

AdamJohnso wrote:
OHB wrote:
AdamJohnso wrote:

My code can blow up MOULa in the wrong hands. ;)

Regardless, the principle still stands.

I'm not expecting the source for the MUd.Code.dll, but I'd like it for your app. Doesn't the MUd have safeguards in place to prevent evilness?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:12 am 
Obduction Backer

Simply providing code that sends your password to a shared library for use in authentication doesn't prove that the library doesn't steal it too. You would need the source for the entire application to ensure your credentials are not being misused, and in the process it would reveal how to use all the interfaces to said library, which would make it extremely easy for anyone to use it for other purposes.

Either you want all the code, or you can't trust it. But do you want to trust the community with the code you've demanded? MOULa is not as secure as many like to think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:12 am 
Obduction Backer

OHB wrote:
I'm not expecting the source for the MUd.Code.dll, but I'd like it for your app. Doesn't the MUd have safeguards in place to prevent evilness?

The client code does not because attempting to check everything for evilness would be quite an undertaking. There are so many holes in MOUL that I would go nuts trying to anticipate all of the devilry people would try. I decided to let the user shoot himself and MOUL in the foot if he so desires. I generally don't have to worry about shooting anybody in the foot because I know how Uru works much better than the average person >_>. That's what you get for spending 5 years tearing the game apart.

If you're not interested in the code for MUd.Core.dll, then that will make things much easier for me. I still do plan to open that up sometime soon though. It would be nice if we had Cyan's server code so we could prevent *kaboom*.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:24 am 
Obduction Backer

Fair enough. Keep me posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:30 am 
Obduction Backer

Note, just scanned through the ToS:

Quote:
Use of the Client Application and Game Content.

You may not use the Client Application or Game Content other than in connection with your use of the Service in accordance with this Agreement. Without limiting the foregoing, you may not
(ii), reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble any part of the Client Application or Game Content;
(iv) duplicate, reproduce or copy any part of the Client Application or Game Content;

Can you comment on the library Adam? Do you believe that it is violation free? I have a hard time imagining that there isn't some reverse engineering going on, but you now what you did.

To be clear: I'm in favor of having a mechanism to access game information outside the client...but I'm not going to pursue anything that's against the ToS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:35 am 
Obduction Backer

Then you're going to have to refrain from using this tool.

Of course it's the product of reverse engineering! There's no other way to describe the process of creating an application that does something like this. The specifications of the MOUL network protocol are certainly not available in any form that is not the result of reverse engineering.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next