It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:05 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:47 pm 

Whenever I post an event at http://www.guildofmessengers.com/ or try and use the contact form I have to try the anti-bot protectoin severl times before I get it correct*. Right before it appears to work(message says the item was submitted) the error at the top reads something like 'an invalid selection has been detected contact the administrator' but there is no bot-test. Has anyone else had this and is it normal? I am trying with 'Google chrome: Version 50.0.2661.75 (64-bit)' on Fedora Core 23. By the way, would it help if I registered for an account.

* The puzzle is a quiz and you have to pick the person that does not belong. I have trouble remembering all the names of people and places in Myst and as a lot of you know have bad spelling so have problems selecting the correct one. Also I never read the Myst books.

I forgot to return to the thread.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
The easiest way around this is to register to the forum. The system was set up to allow anyone to submit news without having to register. But, if you're submitting events frequently, then it would seem to be worth it to register.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:41 pm 

Could someone please tell me the name of the admin? The site does not say and I seem to be having trouble with the account sign up process. (the site does not say who the admin is). You can PM me if you don't feel like saying they name out in the open.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:49 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Amusingly, I would not be able to pass the GoMe CAPTCHA test immediately without research because some of the names are obscure (to me). Upon several refreshes of the new account page, I could pass a few tests but I would fail more. There is a Contact link at the bottom of the page, but of course it requires your same troublesome CAPTCHA. Looking further into the Guild Business section, the names associated with the positions appear outdated. A spreadsheet of contributors also appears old. It needs work, but the reason it does might just be a symptom of your contact troubles - people are busy with real life.

I believe Korovev would be a good person to contact here about GoMe things.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:11 pm 

Right I'll contact 'Korovev' and see if s/he can manually make me an account.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:28 pm 

Actually, Kor has gone on a trip and I'm actually the day to day admin of the GoMe site. :)

Sorry to hear you've been having troubles, Jamie. I know you've posted a few calendar events recently (which I fixed up, approved, and promoted on our Facebook account for ya).

The CAPTCHA was put into place because our old spam filter had expired...and without something to filter, our workflow fills up with a LOT of unrelated crap (mostly about selling watches, for some reason). For the record, it's a list of D'ni Kings vs a list of Atrus' family members and you choose the odd person in the list.

Example: Aitrus, Gehn, Ti'ana, Yeesha, Ri'neref. Answer: Ri'neref, as he is a D'ni king and not a member of Atrus' family tree (as far as we know :P ) like the other four.

Jamie, please PM me an e-mail address you would like associated with the account and preferred user name. I'll manually create an account with a temporary password that you can change at any time and then send the details in a reply PM. With this account, the CAPTCHA will be gone and you'll be able to post news and events freely for our approval.

Note that I can do this for anyone who requests it if the CAPTCHA is giving anyone else troubles. Just PM me on this forum and I'll make it happen. :)

EDIT: Updated a few things in the "Guild Business" section. Also, thanks to Lunanne for bringing this to my attention.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:37 pm 

Ok PM sent. Hmm it seems I was successful after all, it was hard to tell if I was or not since I failed so many times and events need to be pre-approved.(I can understand the need for this.)

Have you thought of using reCAPTCHA 2?It's easy to use and I've heard it's very effective: https://www.google.com/recaptcha/intro/index.html

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 5:26 am 

Jamie Marchant wrote:
Have you thought of using reCAPTCHA 2?It's easy to use and I've heard it's very effective: https://www.google.com/recaptcha/intro/index.html

To be honest, I'm not educated on the finer points of Drupal (on which our site is based)...so I'm not even sure we can use it. That's more a question for people who know it better than I, such as Leonardo or Lyrositor, both of whom are busy these days. ;)

In any case, I now have you signed up on the site and PMed you the details.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:39 pm 

According to this annoncement Korov'ev is supposed to be the GM for the Guild of Messengers
http://www.guildofmessengers.com/en/for ... ganization

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks, Doobes!
Sorry I couldn’t check the forums these days, Jamie.

Just to clarify, Doobes and I are both GMs for the Guild of Messengers :wink:

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:21 am 

Artic_Wagon wrote:
According to this annoncement Korov'ev is supposed to be the GM for the Guild of Messengers
http://www.guildofmessengers.com/en/for ... ganization

korovev wrote:
Just to clarify, Doobes and I are both GMs for the Guild of Messengers ;)

What Kor said. There's always been two Guild Masters in the explorer-created Guild of Messengers so as to divide up the responsibility and any workload.

Also so one of us won't go mad with POWER. :twisted:

Before Korov'ev was appointed, it was Lyrositor and myself. Before that, it was Leonardo and Lunanne, and so on back to 2007. One day, Kor and I will probably be replaced by others.

(cue shameless plug :P ) There's a handy plaque in the new GoMe Pub listing all the former Guild Masters as well, if you're curious.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:43 am 

@Artic_Wagon: Plus, I believe back in your day, GoMe used the departmental Chair system.

As time has progressed, there has been less need for so many internal divisions. As it stands, there's just not enough going on to warrant a large management team. Assuming that Fan Content is ever implemented, this may well change.

Until then, it's supply runs to Stan's, between stops to deliver news, relay the odd package, or meeting up with an Explorer to provide Nexus book usage somewhere on the surface...plus the AGM, Newsfeed, and occassional New Explorer Tour....Anys, that's about it from me for now.

(/salute)