It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

B'ni Rabbit. wrote:
I too have an email from Humble Bundle to download Obduction....But I'm fairly sure I ordered the boxed game as I had an earlier email wanting to confirm my details for delivery.

When we donated enough for the physical disk, a download key for the electronic version was part of the deal. You get both.

I just ordered a better video card for my PC, so we'll see which arrives first, the DVD copy of the game, or the card I ordered. That'll probably determine whether I download the Steam version or not. I'm not betting that the DVD will arrive first, though. :)

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tomala wrote:
What are your specs?

About a year out of date, T. My own fault - I shouldn't have done the kickstarter. I should have waited. So disappointing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:31 pm 

I bought "Obduction" on Steam today. There were no problems with the transaction, and the game runs fine at 2560X1600, settings maxed, on the GTX960 4GB graphic card. It's beautiful and detailed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:29 pm 

I tried running Obduction on my Core2 Quad, 8GB RAM, and GTX 560. Both the CPU and Video card are below the minimum spec. But, it runs. Not well. There are times it gets j-e-r-k-y and stalls. It even crashed once, in 5 hours. But, if you could put up with the lag in a crowded Cavern or at a Second Life event it is not going to be too bad.

See: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cy ... tion/13660

You'll see how close you are and get suggestions for what needs to be upgraded.

I am of the opinion 8GB of RAM is barely enough. I got a little better result by restarting in a debugging mode, most background tasks turned off, then running Obduction.

Even at this low end the graphics are REALLY nice.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Tracks
They are useful.

PS: OMG, I can't use the word j-e-r-k-y... The words 'mean person/persons' replace it... :roll:

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:58 am 

I'm guessing everybody is playing this game right now! I've just found out about it today! The Download process is underway :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:37 am 

So, I installed Obduction, and ran into the error "missing MSVCP120.DLL" - anyone know what this is and where I can get it safely? Google has been unhelpful so far. :/

EDIT: Obduction is updating through steam now... IDK if that means it's downloading what's missing or not. *Sigh* at this rate I'm not going to get to play it until tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:38 am 
Obduction Backer

Try installing vc++ redist. If the 2015 one doesn't work (the game folder has both x86 and x64 versions with it) try installing an older one. You can find them with other games, like Skyrim for example. Or you can download them through Microsoft directly.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:56 pm 

I played "Myst" in 1998, having had to wait because I didn't have a computer with a CD-ROM drive. I had no history in computer games other than some time spent with Myst's predecessors "Cosmic Osmo" and "The Manhole." The first time I ran Myst I didn't see the point. A month or two later I didn't have anything better to do so I ran Myst again and, that time, something got my attention.

Eventually I likened it to being inside a book. In addition to reading I could walk around, operate controls, experiment. The idea of the interactive book has been around for a long time. Myst was the first one that, for me, worked. I wandered here and there, and over time learned enough to get some idea of what was going on. I made my choice and responded, and was sorry when I finished the game.

So, when I came to Myst I was naive. That's a state that can be entered only once. Any future game would automatically be measured against Myst. "Riven" easily passed that test, having everything that Myst had included, along with more. I became even more fascinated with Riven than I'd been with Myst.

Naturally I bought Myst 3 when it came out. The dream hit some rocks. I bought Myst 4, hoping... and that was even worse. I bought Uru Complete Chronicles and thought it was a step in a better direction but much more suggestion than actual delivery. I got into Until Uru, hoping the thread of dream would remain alive and allow Cyan to expand the D'ni worlds for us. We got episodes and Myst 5, which caused me to pretty much give up on Cyan.

When I heard about "Obduction," I didn't back the Kickstarter campaign. Cyan had much to prove to me before I'd give them any more money, starting with actually getting a finished game out the door. I waited and watched. Unlike many projects that have been started and abandoned--anyone remember "Ages of Ilathid?"--this one resulted in an actual product.

Given that I've bought two computers more or less specifically to play Cyan games, what's another $30 to find out if this one is worth playing? Distribution has changed; from decision to playing took an hour or so for the download.

Think about what Cyan faces here. They created a game that became wildly popular and occupied a niche of its own. Many other people tried to duplicate or emulate the experience but none of them got it. I've played several. A few skirt Myst's territory of wonder, such as "Escape from Mysterious Island," "Alida," and "Syberia." Still, these are more a series of puzzles with a bit of story matrix to hold them together. Myst and Riven are stories to walk through and experiment with. The difference is subtle and I wondered if anyone at Cyan remembered how to do it.

I come to "Obduction" with a couple of chips on my shoulder. I'm ready for another failure. I didn't even bother to finish Myst 4. Myst 5 I dragged through, tolerating Esher because the worlds were pretty. Uru's episodes left a very, very bad taste in my mouth. So, I entered Obduction expecting more disappointment. It has been 20 years... time erodes wonder, dreams get buried in minutiae, committees overrule good design. And, as I played Obduction, against my bias, against the history, I can feel a strong breeze from Myst and Riven here. Cyan's people have not forgotten.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

I like how, just one day after release, some have already finished the game.

For those like me who will take it in small doses, it means we’ll enjoy a (mostly) bug-free experience :mrgreen: .

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:32 pm 

For the record... I'm nowhere near being finished. Yes, I started early, but I feel no need to hurry. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:18 pm 

Tomala wrote:
Try installing vc++ redist. If the 2015 one doesn't work (the game folder has both x86 and x64 versions with it) try installing an older one. You can find them with other games, like Skyrim for example. Or you can download them through Microsoft directly.

Well, I've tried using the installer versions included with obduction, and got no change with the error code. I downloaded directly from microsoft and am presently running a file integrity validation through Steam... If i still get the same error- AGAIN!- after all this, I'm probably going to have to wait until I get a new computer to play Obduction. XD

(T_T I don't wanna wait though...)

EDIT: Reinstalling the older version and verifying the integrity got me atleast to graphics set up... upon which trying to 'auto detect' caused it to crash... Hahaha.... welp... okay time to try it again and hope it works.

EDIT2: Got it playable. Lags like heek, but it plays. Also, so many nostalgic sounds just while looking around testing everything. ^U^ (And locked doors. Oh gosh, SO many locked doors.)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:24 am 

How can someone possibly finishes this game?!? I'm stuck in the first area... I'm tired of running around not knowing what to do even though I know exactly what I'm supposed to do!

The game runs smoothly but my mouse is getting on my nerve, I think I'll wait until I fixed that electronic animal before going on because panning up and down and clicking on devices is a pain.

I'm fearing though that the puzzles to come are going to be more and more complex... I've read from a reviewer who completed the game already :shock: :shock: :shock: that the last one is one of a kind. I'm not in puzzle-solving business much but I like to explore and it's gorgeous so far. So just for the sake of exploring, I'll try to push further on and unlock the doors that keep me from escaping to the purple land around...

Have you find anything about the purple dot that keeps popping in the upper half of your screen. With my silly mouse, I cannot reach it in time and I have no idea of its purpose. Is it just an autosave feature or the hint system? I turned it ON but for now I never used it, I have no clue on how to get... clues! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:10 am 

I believe the dot that shows up frequently indicates an automatic save game is being created. There's a note in the manual about playing from a saved game, and moving that save to another slot so that the auto-save won't overwrite it. So, if you want to try something, you can save, move it to a different slot, and recover if what you tried doesn't work.

As for the puzzles, well, so far I'm bumbling along. Haven't hit a stopper yet. Sometimes it does take some running around, in which characteristic it is very like Riven. The scenery is nice along the way...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:23 am 
Obduction Backer

Well, I've played Obduction in two long sessions so far. I've gotten to two other worlds and made some progress there as well. I'm not in any great hurry, but want to explore and look around, and looking around is a big part of the "experience". Cyan spent a lot of time creating these worlds, and I want to appreciate all the hard work. I'm running it on two monitors at the same time at the moment, a smaller 21" 1080, and above it on the wall, the 43" 4k, and it really looks fantastic!

I've only run into problems three times. The first startup, I tried to tweak some of the settings, only to have the game screen vanish. I had to restart the computer to get going again. Then the first day, after playing for hours, the game just crashed. It restarted just fine though. The second day, I let Steam apply the updates that were available, but after several hours of play I had the same type of crash. Both times it crashed I was moving quickly through visually complex areas, but I'd been doing that right along. I should probably reconfigure the two monitors so I can see what's happening to the computer's resources on the smaller one while playing. I'm not experiencing any lag or jumps, and even after running for hours, the computer seems to be staying cool, running slightly over-clocked at 4.28GHz after letting it auto-tune itself.

My biggest complaint is all the running around you have to do. That improves a bit once you get some of the doors open, but it still takes a lot of time.

-Pinkutus & the Borg

Ad astra
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:03 am 
Obduction Backer

Played the game on release and loved the look and feel of it. Reminds me of the days when Myst came out. :D I'd say it's like Myst in space minus the linking books.

My only big issue so far is that the game likes to consume all of my system memory after about 20 minutes of playing, then Windows will prompt me to shut down Obduction. If I ignore the warning the game itself will tell me I'm out of VRAM, and I have 12 gigs total of DDR3, a 4GB GPU and a 6 core 12 threaded processor. I haven't had a chance to look into it since I've been busy (long work week). I have other 64 bit games but haven't run across this issue.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next