It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:06 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:43 am 

Ed Oscuro wrote:
Oh, I misspoke. It wasn't "i," it was Pod. A big difference (here, a 1/17576 chance you'll hit the trifecta if you were selecting three letters at random - nevermind that Pod is an English word, and generic too - as opposed to being restricted from using one of 26 letters at the beginning of your mark otherwise)

And "windows" isn't "an English word, and generic too"?

Using English common words as trademarks is nothing out of the ordinary, nor is it, as you seem to imply, unethical, illegitimate or even illegal.

Trademarks are specific to groups of products; in Microsoft's case, the "windows" trademark is specific to various computer software, which should take away any likelihood that you're gonna be comparing it with a common building block of a house. "Pod" is only Apple's trademark in respect to certain kinds of music-related computer hardware.

I'm still at a loss what any of this has to do with running Uru Live on an iPhone, though. Please enlighten me. :)

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:55 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Would an Apple weenie like to comment on this article?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/14/busin ... 0&emc=eta1

First paragraph:
Quote:
STEVE JOBS, Apple’s showman nonpareil, provided the first public glimpse of the iPhone last week — gorgeous, feature-laden and pricey. While following the master magician’s gestures, it was easy to overlook a most disappointing aspect: like its slimmer iPod siblings, the iPhone’s music-playing function will be limited by factory-installed “crippleware.”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:47 pm 

Um, it's no different than the iTunes Store or the iPod has been for the past 5 years. Music purchased from the iTunes Store is protected with FairPlay, which only plays on the iPod/iPhone. And the iPod has never supported Microsoft's standards (obviously, since Apple would have to pay MS licensing fees to do that on every iPod they sell). In terms of DRM, FairPlay's actually pretty decent, assuming you want to buy from Apple. If you don't, feel free to not buy an iPod, iPhone, or anything from the iTunes Store. There are plenty of other music stores out there.

Of course, the iPod and iPhone will both still play unprotected MP3, AAC, Apple Lossless, WAV/AIFF audio files (and .mov/.mp4 movies) that you rip yourself, so... I don't see what the problem is exactly.

But kudos to a reporter for painting incompatible DRM standards like they're something new. Nice fear-mongering!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:36 pm 

Ooooh, perhaps we could hack the iPhone to allow bahro symbols to be drawn on its touch-screen! :D

... or perhaps not.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4